Neurology Community
Thoracic cord MRI result question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thoracic cord MRI result question

Hello, I am a soon to be 48 yr old female with long history of lower back pain. Ten years ago I was DX with D.D.D of the L4/L5 and after an EMG study was found to have muscle and nerve damage as a result.

Fast forward- I have had problems with RLS for about 6 years. Had a total right knee replacement 2 years ago. In spite of the replacement I continue to have great pain in the knee area. The back pain I have learned to just live with. I8 months ago I start what my hubby lovingly calls kongfoo fighting in my sleep. My PCP sent me to neurologist. He has add a DX of Perodic Limb Movement disorder as well as the RLS. With the RLS, PLMD, the continue pain in my knee area and general aching in lower joints, lower back pain and the development of pain in right upper back, @  in shoulder blade area to the point of going to ER as I feared I was having some kind of attack and it hurts just to breath. He order a Thoracic MRI. I just got the results from the hospital Friday and will see Dr this coming Friday. There are a couple of phrase that I have questions about so I know a little when I walk in the office.

the report is as follows:

The report shows states no evidence of demyelinating disease of the thoracic cord. A magnetic Resonance scan of the thoracic spine was aquired by spin echo sequence in the axial and sagittal planes. There is a normal signal of the spinal canal and there are no extrinsic or intrinsic spinal cord lesions. The thoracic discs are normal. There is a round area of replacement of the normal bone marrow of T6 with fat. this has no clinical significance. There is no herniated nucleus pulposus of the thoracic discs. The remainder of the vertebral bodies are normal. The conus medullaris ends behind T 12/L1.

The report states "There is a round area of replacement of the normal bone marrow of T6 with fat" what the devil does this mean?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I just hate walking into an appointment with out knowing alittle so I can have qiestions ready to ask.

Becky

also " The conus medullaris ends behind T 12/L1". what is this?