Neurology Expert Forum
Thoracic problems after lumbar fusion
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thoracic problems after lumbar fusion

On dec. 2, 1999, I had a lumbar fusion at L4/L5 and L5/S1 with screws, cages and plates. This was due to disc degeneration causing nerve root and spinal cord compression. Now, 5 months down the track, my recovery appears normal and appears to have been a successful procedure. 6 weeks ago I developed pain between my shoulder blades, so I saw my PCP, and he advised a thoracic x-ray. The report says "Minor mid thoracic scoliosis concave left, and appears to be related to lateral wedging of the body of T7. Schmorl's Nodes are noted in relation to discs in the Thoraco-Lumbar region. Disc narrowing is noted in the mid thoracic region. Osteophytes have formed on the right at T7/8."
   My question is, could this condition (if pre-existing) have been exacerbated by the lumbar spinal fusion? Is this something I should be worried about?
My pain is increasing quickly (almost daily) through my left shoulder and down my arm and hand. I'm still psychologically recovering from the last surgery and don't really know what to do.
Thank you in advance for any advice and help you could give.