Neurology Community
Thoracic sponylosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thoracic sponylosis

I have had numerous MRI's and back injections over the past 7 months, actually 4 MRI's and a CT Scan yesterday morning.  I have been seeing a pain specialist because the pain finally had gotten to a point that was just to unbearable.  The first pain specialist, before doing an exam and going over the MRI with me, stated that I have lived with it for so long that I would just have to be mentally strong and deal with it.  All he did was prescribe gabapentin and no pain rx.  He performed an injection in my lower back and off he went and it wasn't until a week later that I had to call his office to request something for the pain because nothing was working, so he had to call from home because he was on call and that's when he and I had a disagreement, partially I was astonished at the fact he didn't even recall the day he gave the injection, about what course to take, so I just said that's fine I will see another provider, and I did.

I am not sure if this is related but I told that Doctor that I am allergic to carbamazepine, nsaids, flexoral , and now gabapentine.  Actually after taking the gabapentine my knee, out of the blue, swelled more than 6 times its size and they performed a bone scan after ruling out infections, or things like that.  I also asked the technician to call and get the Doctor to ok a full body scan since I was already lit up and they did, it also showed hotspots on the spine, but they said "it may be the cause, or they are unable to say it is the cause", never did find out.  But what I am experiencing is worsening pain in the lower back and now up into the mid to upper back and neck.  Tingling and electrical sensations go down the back of the legs and also across the front of legs from hip to hip.  I am also experiencing numbness and tingling in both hands along the outside down to the three smaller fingers.  

In 2000 one Doctor indicated multiple arthragias, The impressions go back a long time, but here are some of them: 2005 "degenerative changes are identified at the articulation between the anterior arch of C1 and the dens" 2008 "degenerative changes at L4-5 and L5-S1 with central protrusion at L4-5 that effaces the thecal sac and is associated with moderate foraminal stenosis.  At L5-S1, there is a right paracentral protrusion that displaces the right S1 posteriorly and is associated with moderate left and mild right foraminal stenosis"
3/2011 "mild disc diseccation is noted at L2-L3.  Moderate disc desiccation with mild to space narrowing is noted at L4-L5 and L5-S1.  There is no evidence of acute body compression or subluxation.  There is no evidence of discrete osseous mass.  Conus medullaris at the L1-L2 level.  Schmorl's node is seen involving superioer end plate of T11.  At L4-L5, there is a moderate central to slightly left of the central focal disc protrusion with radial tear.  Mild effacement of the thecal sac.  Mild concentric central canal narrowing is seen,  Mild facet arthopathy is also noted.  There is mild narrowing of the causal aspect of the neural foramina bilaterally.  L5-S1, there is a moderate right paracentral to right foraminal focal disc protrusion with radial tear.  Thre is mild effacement of the thecal sac.  Minimal central canal narrowing is seen.  Moderate facet arthrpathy is seen.  Mild narrowing of the causal aspect if the neural foramina is seen"
yesterday (missing the MRI reports from this summer): "mild facet joint degenerative changes present at L2-3 through L5-S1, greatest at the L2-3 level.  Mild bulging of the intervertebral disks is present at L4-5 and L5-S1 with small central herniation at L4-5 small central mesh right paramedian disk herniationat L5-S1.  There is mild to moderate central narrowing of the spinal canal at L4-5 and mild narrowing of the spinal canal at L5-S1.  Degenerative change of lumbar spine with small disk herniation's at L4-5 and L5-S1"

I guess I am wondering if there is a correlation between the mediactions that have been prescribed such as steroids, etc. and these changes.  There is a family history of chrones, hip and knee replacements, celiac disease, and cancer.  Is this a surgical option? Yesterday's report also indicated osteopenia is present.
Dj