Neurology Expert Forum
Throbbing RHS, Back then Arm, Leg and Head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I was sitting at a chair this morning when I felt this weird throbbing start in the right hand side of my back.  It went down my arm and leg and went up to my neck and right hand side of my head.  It didn't feel painful just a throbbing feeling which passwed after about 2 maybe 3 minutes after I stood up and walked around for a bit.  I was sitting this morning just using the laptop and it just came over me.  I have had this before about a year or so ago but not had it in a very long time.

Any ideas welcome as to what it could be.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Transient symptoms on one side of the body could be due to a few causes. One is a migrainous phenomenon, but this would typically occur in someone with prior migraines and would be followed by a throbbing headache with nausea and other symptoms. Another possibility is a transient ischemic attack, or TIA, which is due to a transient reduction of blood flow to the brain. However TIAs, while they typically involve one side of the body, would not cause a throbbing sensation. Another possibility, if the symptoms seemed to march from one area of the body to another is seizures.

Evaluation by your physician is recommended, with referral to a neurologist as indicated depending on the history obtained by your physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.