Neurology Community
Throbbing and swelling in right arm - any ideas?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi I am a 28yr old female and a Hashimoto's Thyroiditis sufferer. I currently receive medication for the Hashimoto's, 125mcg of thyroxine per day.

Over the past couple of days I've been having problems with my right arm. The first time I was aware of the problem was on Saturday morning (30th August) when I experienced a sharp pain in my arm. I thought nothing of it and continued with my activities. I wasn't doing anything much, only showering. As the day went on into evening the muscle at the middle of my arm in front of my elbow (I can't exactly say if it's the inside or outside, seems to be both) felt a lot fatter than that of my left as if there was a lot more mass there. It also started to feel very heavy.

Again, thought nothing of it as my right arm is my dominant arm plus my GP is out of hours during the weekend and where we live isn't exactly local to go to a walk-in centre. It was only when it was Sunday morning that the heaviness got worse and when I tried to use my arm I was finding that I had to put in a little more effort. Today (Monday 2 September) I'm now getting a numb sensation along the skin in the area.

I don't understand what's going on. The area affected isn't red and because I have small arms doesn't look swollen. It's only when I touch/palpate the area that underneath feels quite thick/boggy. The doctor is already monitoring me for my hypothyroidism and isn't expecting to see me until a couple more months for a follow-up as my meds have been increased since. Should I seek advice from my doctor as they could see this as a worsening of the hypothyroidism?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks xx
Hi!
Yes, the symptom of arm feeling swollen can be due to hypothyroidism. It can also be due to muscle injury or due to a ligament injury. Sometimes there can be a clot in the deep vein. It is important to consult your doctor to find the cause. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi, thanks for your answer.

When I saw the doctor yesterday I went to see him about something else so I didn't want to give him too much to write in his notes!!! So far as I know I haven't sprained or hurt my arm at all but moving it seems to help. It is also my dominant arm so you can understand the concern I have about it. He did say myxoedema/myxedema doesn't occur in the arms but is more widespread in the legs and my legs show no signs of myxoedema/myxedema. There are lumps under my arm's skin and in comparison to the other arm there are none.