Neurology Expert Forum
Throbbing in ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Throbbing in ear

Thank you for offering such a wonderful service!  I have a question pertaining to my mother.  She has a chronic problem with an intense throbbing in her left ear.  The problem comes and goes-generally once a day and can last for three hours or more.  She has noticed that it often comes when she starts to eat, starting slightly and becoming stronger with time, until she must lay down.  She has arrested the progression a few times by drinking coffee.  She is 55, in good health, on no medications.  The Dr. has listened to her carotid artery, didn't find anything, and told her she could not offer any suggestions.  We would very much appreciate your input or suggestions of how she could pursue finding the answer.  Thank you very much.
I think that this symptom need to be investigated in more detail than simply listening to the carotids. It may not turn out to be very serious but serious vascular problems in the  area need to be outruled before the symptom is put aside. I would suggest that she be seen and assesed by a neurologist or otologist with a view to a possible MRA scan of her head to outrule the possibility of an abnormal blood vessel in this area. If this thorbbing is accompanied by ringing in theears it is called pulsatile tinnitus which can indicate an underlying aneurysm.
I do not want to worry you unduly, but thei need to be pursued further. An apointment with a neurologist for a detailed initial assessment would be a good first step. Since this probably involves blood vessels a neurologist specializing in stroke would be a good person to start with.
I so appreciate your response.  Your comments will encourage her to pursue a referral.  In this age of "informed healthcare" it seems sometimes more difficult to find answers.  Thank you for the suggestions.
I have a burning sensation that comes and occurs on the outside of my right ear. I can't touch my ear when this happens and it goes away on its own.It lasts for anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours. I have no idea what this is from. My doctor said to see a tmj specialist and he found nothing wrong. Someone said it may be trigeminal neuralga. Any help would be appreciated. When it occurs it is very painful. I am 51 and in good health.
Thank you forany guidance,
J.Roth
for the doctor-
I have similar symptoms and had a ct scan
would a ct scan of the brain and neck show an aneurysm, or
artery abnormalities? i was under the impression it would
thanks
I had a throbbing episode yesterday and my left eye appeared bloodshot. I have had episodes of throbbing in the past but they never lasted very long. I'm just getting over a cold which had me coughing a lot. Today my eye is clearer but I still feel a bit of pressure on the left side of my face behind the left eye. My ears always pop with changes in altitude.
Should I be worried? I am a 45 year old man.