Neurology Community
Throbbing pressure in head upon standing and walking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 38 yr old female.  About a year ago I started to experience a very strange feeling that occurs periodically when I move from a sitting to a standing position and start to walk.  The sensation is as if my head and neck are throbbing with pressure and I have to stop walking or slow down and stop and stand still for a minute or so to make the sensation stop.  Sounds are muffled in rhythm with the pulsations and I sometimes feel as if I will pass out, but never have.  There is no pain.

I have been checked throughly by my GP, a cardiologist, and an electrophysiologist  and none of them could find a cause.  It does seem to happen sometimes when I am hungry and have missed a meal or eaten later than usual.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I have the same thing!!
I am 60 yrs old and I experience just about the same symptoms.  My throbbing I have is in the back of my head nearer the neck area.  Once this pressure starts there is nothing I can take that will stop the throb every time I get up to walk.    I usuall get it in the afternoon and continue for the rest of the day.  I am fine the next day.  My doctor thinks it can be from tension, anxiety,  looking at the computer too long,etc.  
Oh my gosh!  I have been experiencing the EXACT same thing  BoosMama mentioned for the last 5 months!  When it first started, the throbbing happened almost every time I stood up after sitting for awhile (especially sitting in the car) and was very intense, lasting only a minute or two.  Lately, not so intense and so frequently, but still there.  I had a brain MRI that was negative.  All the doctors I've seen have no idea what it could be :(   Good to know (I think) that I'm not alone...  
I, too, am having great head pressure when going from sitting to stading position.  This has been going on for approx 3 years.  I'll have periods where it happens several times a day for a week or so, then I'm OK for a few months.  Seems to be happening more often as time goes on.  Have been to neurologist which seems to think it's tension headaches.  MRI's and CT scans don't show anything.  This is pretty irritating.   Let me know if any of you have suggestions.
Please help us - what is this???  I also have the same problems, have just had 11 lesions found in my brain but no definintive dx (just dx with tmjd but have no pain xcept for the rare headache) - it's this PRESSURE when I stand up or walk - but sometimes even when laying down I get the pulsatile tinnitus.  I have low blood pressure normally - used to feel faint when standing up too fast - now can't get up that fast - but get this pressure instead anyway!!!  HELP US PLEASE!
Glad I found this site and know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms.  I have gone thru all of the cardiac tests and also have seen a neurologists.  I am going for an MRI next week.  My neurologist thinks it is a form of a migraine headache.
I can't believe I found others that are experiencing the same thing as me.  I work on a computer all day.  It happens when I get up and lasts sometimes for as long as I am walking -- which isn't very long.  I slow down to try to stop the pressure.  This may happen for a few days and then not happen again for a few months.

I have this.  it used to be very bad where almost everytime I got up after stting/driving. It would take a few seconds.  I get up, then I start walking.  After about 15 seconds, the pressure would would rise and fall like a sine-wave curve. I feel "pulse pressure" about the neck/lower head/ears (one even heard "air" synced with pulse).  I feel like my lower head is going to pop, then it goes away as it came.  My pulse might have increased a bit, but not enough where I can say it was significant (8 bpm) (from 81 to 88).

Over the last  few months, I've been dropping sidework, resting more, adding hours to sleep, etc...  The problems has reduced over 50% so far.  But, I do notice that my thoughts can trigger them upon standing.  I did a test.  I sat down and cleared my mind for 10 minutes.  I stood up and kept my mind clear.  No problem.  I sat down then started to think about all the problems, past events, lost oppotinuties, etc...  I stood up and BAM!  The pulsating neck.  For me, it seems stress is the cause.  My Adrenals reserves are too low, so stress cutting is the only way they can recover.

INFO:
http://www.howtodothings.com/health-fitness/how-to-recognize-if-you-have-adrenal-fatigue

TREATMENT:
http://www.howtodothings.com/health-fitness/how-to-treat-adrenal-fatigue

I HAVE THE SAME THING. UPON STANDING I FEEL LIKE MY HEAD IS COMING OFF AND I GET SO DIZZY I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO FALL. IT DOESN'T LAST VERY LONG BUT IT IS UPSETTING.
woo hoo!!!
I'm not crazy after all.  I went to a neurologist a couple years ago, and testing was normal.  He said it could be a form of migraine but I just don't believe that.  I gave up asking the Doc cuz I didn't want to sound like a hypochondriac.  Mine is pretty much the same as described:  comes on fast up to few minutes after getting out of car or sitting for a while.  Pressure in upper torso, spine, head, and ears go "faint sounding" and super strong throbbing sensation.  I walk slowly or stop till it fades away in about 1-3 minutes.  Taken my blood pressure during and its okay.  I keep thinking is it an aneurism (aneurysm), clogged arteries, tumor, WHAT?  You guys are a relief to find.  Thanks!  I think...
It's also worth going to a chiropractor to get your spine and neck checked out.  I have been going for treatment as he said some unexplained neurological problems can be caused by the neck. It hasn't helped me but I think we have to keep trying any option to see if it helps.
Orthostatic Hypertension can cause these problems.  Greg Page one of the Wiggles has it and had to give his career because of it.  It affects people when they are upright.  I have similar problems to you and everyone else here for 5 years and so far have not found an answer, like you all my head symptoms are worse when upright, walking or standing for a period of time. I also get confusion sometimes. I have had lots of tests which were all ok. I've had numerous neurological symptoms. I do have a lump in my skull in my forehead called a Haemangioma of the Skull which caused severe pain and also spots on my brain MRIs so I am not sure what my problem is.  My best wishes to you and I hope you find out what the problem is, it's very hard to be suffering so much all the time.  keep looking for answers there must be one out there.
My apologies, I meant to say Orthostatic Intolerance (OI) not hypertension.
This sounds very much like PsuedoTumor Cerebri or Intracranial Hypertension to me. I have it. Had the same symptoms. See a Nuerologist. A spinal tap is the only way to diagnose...and they are not as bad as they sound. If you've had an epidural, you've had one, basically!
Check out Chiari  One malformation on internet
I am happy to let you know that I KNOW what your problem is!!!! I suffered witht his for years! I have broken my nose 3 time and got a concusion from passing out. I would feel just like you, and then just drop! I was tested for diabetes, all kinds of blood work, mris, cats, nothing! I was basically told I was crazy! After years of this, I  finally saw a octor who tested my blood sugars again, and came back and said that I had hypoglycemia. I coudln't beleive that could be true, but once I learned about it, it made since. I was eatting sooo much sugar daily, that my blood was so hyperglycemic, that when I didn't eat and pump my blood with sugar, my blood sugar would instantly plumit (hypoglycemia) and I would pass out! I tried cutting out my sugars at that time. I switched to diet pop, bought sugarfree candy, but still wasn't as strict as I needed to be! Then i got pregnant for my 3rd child, and developed gestational diabetes. I never had that before! But this time I did. I don't like shots and really didn't want to have to inject insulin daily, so I tried the first option..diet. I had to go to a dietician etc... I was put on a very strict diet. I had to eat 6 times a day, and incorporate a certain amount of fats, carbs, protiens and staches into each meal. I came up with a chart, and wrote down everything I was eatting. I had to cut out my synthetic Sugar completely! I felt like I was dying! I was starving, and craving, but I didn't want the shots! I already had to test my blood and poke my fingers 3 times a day, so I stuck with it. Within a week, I was feeling better, I had learned how to eat, and didn't feel hungry. After cutting out my sugar, I had withdraw like symptoms, but then they went away. Within 2 weeks, my blood sugars were regulated just from my diet! I was able to contoll it, and did not have to take insulin. I have now felt great for 5 years! I saw doctor after doctor, I thought something was really really wrong with me! Then I just thought I was a hypercondiac! But I wasn't, and it was All in my Diet! So, please try to change the foods you are eatting. Eat often, no sugar. I actually sell my diet plan for only $5. If you are interested contact me at ***@****
Good luck to all of you!
sales at hostdogg *******
wow they are strict. com..
I've had the same thing, throbbing pressure up the back of my neck/head while standing up or after driving home from work. During that tension, I also get dizzy, but it only lasts a few min at most. I think the problem is in the Muscles and tendons of the neck. I used to Pop/Crack my own neck, but have STOPPED doing that, i think that caused my problem slowly over time. I had tension and would always turn and twist my neck to relieve it and even hurt myself a few times. My Dr. prescribed 30 days of Anti-Inflammatory with neck excercise before he does further testing. I'm in the first week and have had some relief, but too early to tell. I have been paying CLOSE attention to walking/standing/sleeping posture so that I can strenthen my neck/shoulders again. I also developed vertigo when turning my head left or right at times. Thats what prompted me to see a Dr. I really should have gone months ago. The onset was so gradual, I didnt realize I had this problem, but its the only thing that makes sense. Your input or experience is appreciated. Would like to know if anyone has had similar and gotten past it and HOW they did it. Thanks and Prayers to All !

-JohnnyV
Also, I'm 41 yr old , male, and sit at a computer 12 hrs a day, that can't be good for your back, neck etc expecially if I don't sit right!  ...stay tuned....

-JohnnyV
I have been suffering for 20+ years what you all are describing except that along with the pressure, I experience severe pain.  It's gotten gradually worse over the years to the point it was almost everyday, all day long; everytime I tried to do something.  I keep trying to figure it out, done lots of research, seen many doctors, taken lots of tests and nothing.  I do however keep coming back to my pillow.  I've downsized a few times but that hasn't helped.  I initally go to sleep on my tummy but, always end up on my back with my pillow balled up behind my neck.  The last week and a half I've made an extra effort to wake up when I turn over on my back.  I sit up for about an hour then return to sleep on my tummy or go to sleep on the recliner.  I don't get as much sleep as I used to but, it's been the best week and a half that I've had in about 3 years.  I believe that the pillow balled up under the back of my neck puts pressure on the occipital nerves, causing inflamation (inflammation), resulting with the pain throughout the day.  Seems too simple but, it has helped me.  If you also sleep on your back and have the habit of balling your pillow up under your neck, please give this a try.  Let us all know if it helps you too.  We might be on to something.  Good luck.
Everything that I have read says that you should never sleep on your tummy and that back or side is best with your neck straight or "neutral position". If on back, a flat supportive pillow that comfortably supports your neck and head while keeping it straight. I would suppose that as long as its confortable and doesn't push up on your neck too much or get your spine out of alignment is fine. I feel fine waking up, sitting up, in the mornings, it seems to get aggrevated over the course of the day and by the evening, i get a little throbbing behind the neck again. After this week of correcting my posture, I've noticed that it my throbbing has almost gone away when i get home. Too early to tell, though, I hope it stays that way.

Larry2500, I'm interested in what you said about "Adrenal Fatigue" that you mentioned above. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. Thanks!

-JohnnyV
Update...after I went to my ENT, and going through tests, he tells me that my test confirm Meniere's disease, which is causing my problems. This is a condition of the middle ear and effects hearing, balance and other things. I'm currently trying to change my diet to control the symptoms. I think my neck problems are secondary to this. I'm kind of bummed out about this diagnosis, but I'll try to do what I can to hopefully relieve the symptoms. Hope this information helps someone with similar symptoms. God Bless.

-J
Awesome im not alone =D the only difference is that i haven't seen a doctor xD i get tired of having those lil episodes of trobbing pressure that leaves me breathless (its like when standing my heart stops beating and suddenly increases) D: and its been a while im experiencing this can't really remember, though almost all my family suffer from high blood pressure so i dont know if its got to do with that. As for my age im newly 20 i hope i don't got something bad...
I have been suffering for several years, and I'm still trying to figure this all out.  I am not sure if my heart starts pounding first and then my head starts throbbing or if it's the other way around. I was involved in a car accident about 14 years ago and had whiplash but only saw a chiropractor limited times because of insurance. I didn't have a lot of back/neck pain but some over the years. I considered it secondary to my other issues. Last year I read about something called Barre-Lieou syndrome that described a lot of my symptoms and it sometimes occurs after a whiplash injury or when the ligaments in the neck become overstretched and don't support the way they should. I've received prolotherapy treatments to help strengthen the ligaments and seemed to feel a little better, but this last one seemed to bring the headaches and pounding on worse. I have been "diagnosed" a number of times, but don't really 100% agree with any of the diagnoses. I saw a cardiac electrophysiologist who said that my symptoms were a lot like P.O.T.S. (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) similar to Orthostatic Intolerance. I don't buy it though because the medications didn't help me at all and I have almost constant pressure and pounding in my head even when I am lying down. I've looked into adrenal fatigue and not really found anything definitive yet. I am looking into finding a naturopathic doctor that tests neurotransmitters to see if low GABA levels may be contributing to my issues. I was hyperthyroid for about a year and a half after my youngest son was born and wasn't given any medication because I couldn't wean him. I thought maybe that triggered adrenal issues since I was basically in "flight or fight" mode for so long.  I've tried SSRIs and SSNRIs and Ativan(?) and beta blockers.  On and off I experience where my heart will pound all day and all night despite being told I have low blood pressure. I am exhausted by this and get to a point that my brain feels "fried".  When I wake up sometimes I don't have a pounding head or heart, then just turning over or moving will trigger it.  It seems like it is the head first - almost like there isn't enough oxygen to my brain - and then a squeezing sensation.  Then my heart starts pounding - as if it is trying to get enough blood to my brain. Not sure that is what is actually happening though. I have had an MRI of my neck that shows multiple herniations, bone spur complexes, some spinal canal stenosis, and cord indention. I know there is an answer, but I am tired of searching for it. I just want to feel well again. I am a 38 year old mom with three kids ages 18, 13, and 9 with a loving husband, and I am blessed in every other area of my life. I realize this is quite long, but maybe someone else has experienced something similar and can offer some input.
For the first time in my life, I am having a throbbing head and my head feels like it weighs a ton. The backs of legs feel like jelly (jello) when i walk and the walking is very demanding , extremley slow with my head looking at the ground and my shoulders hunched up to almost 'hold my head' up. When my walking became affected I went to the Doc's and she has given me naproxen for 28 days which does help but wears off. I am also being sent for a brain scan.
I would like to ask all the persons who have experienced this, once it has started, is it going to stay forever? I walk in 80% of my job and not been able to work this week because of the lack of mobility. It is really terrifying me as i am a very active person and my head throbs after only taking ten steps.
I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions others suffers have. I am 35 years old and before this week, in perfect health. Many Thanks in advance.
Hi...both of u r describing issues those of us with chiari , DDD, deal with there r related conditions such as POTS, EDS....syringomyelia (syrinx)....intercranial hypertension...tethered cord.

Mri's will give u the dx and then u need a dr that specializes in the field.

there is info in the health pages here on medhelp....and we have a chiari forum here as well.

Stop by the chiari forum.....I am sure u will find the info and support u r looking for.

: )

"selma"

Thanks Selma for your input, today I tried to go for a walk and within 5 mins my legs were giving way and my heart was pounding out of my chest, I am so, so scared as I live alone and am worried that I might lose my job if I can't do it for too long.
Even getting to the hospital to have the MRI is going to be a great challenge in itself!
My thoughts are with you all.
Thank you for your quick response. I have an appointment with a neurologist/neurosurgeon March 9, and I am praying I will get some answers.

I will definitely look further into the things you listed.  Thanks again!
These symptoms are exactly what has been happening to me. I have been going to doctors for the last 3 months with no determination. I have had numerous head and neck MRIs and cat scans. I just went through 4 weeks of physical therapy on my neck. My posture is terrible and my neck flexibility was terrible. Now my neck flexiblity is 50% better, but still I have the episodes. I also work at a computer all day and the symptoms only occur a few minutes after standing and subside in like 2 minutes (and not all the time). I am incapacitated for those 2 minutes as my hearing is at only 20 % and I have ghost circles in the center of my vision. I have had a sleep test for symptoms of sleep apnea - only mild was determined. I also have had a stress test because I mentioned that Ive developed slight pain down the center of my back and now to my tail bone. I might be leaning towards a spinal problem at this point but I may be still tempted to see my ENT because the main symptoms are mainly ears and vision. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm sure that there is not one cure all but it gives a lot of us ideas to pursue.
I have throbbing in the middle of my head upon standing in the mornings and any time I stand up quickly. It comes on gradually, I become light-headed and begin blacking out, and often these symptoms are accompanied by an increase in heart rate and overall weakness. To counteract this problem, I must quickly bend over at the waist to get the blood flowing to my head, and then after several seconds, I can slowly raise my head and feel normal. This happens to me several times throughout the day, every day. It does seem to be more prominent if I've allowed myself to go too long without eating. I also have an underlying condition called Mastocytosis, which can cause low BP or sudden drops in BP, along w/ anaphylaxis. POTS has been found in some other cases of Mastocytosis, so I feel pretty confident that this is a contributing factor to my symptoms. I also have a large cystic mass in my sphenoid sinus, which is located in the center of the head, nuzzled just beneath the brain. The carotid arteries run alongside this sinus. The mass/cyst is occupying 80-90% of the sinus, and w/ its close proximity to the carotids, it seems logical this could be placing undue pressure on these arteries that supply blood to the brain. Unfortunately, due to my Mastocytosis and surgical risks, I have been unable to find an ENT who will drain this cyst, which also seems to be causing chronic sinus infections, sore throat, and pressure in my head and eyes. Anyway, I hope this helps someone in their quest for answers. I wish everyone the best of luck!
I see you first posted in 2007 so I don't know if you are still experiemcing this. But I have EXACTLY the same sensations.I read all the other posts but yours was like I wrote it myself.

My episodes started last November, 2008. I had been watching tv for 1/2 hour, got up, walked a few steps and my head and ears felt like they were full and they pulsated, like heartbeats. I felt like my head had a lot of pressure/fullness as well as my ears. Sound would come and go with the rhythm of the pulses. I just stood still for a minute or two then everything returned to normal. It was a very strange sensation. HATED IT!

Since that day, a few times a week, after sitting or driving for a period of time, I will get those sensations when I stand-up. I have NEVER had any pain, also it has NEVER happened after I wake from a nights sleep.

I keep thinking it has to do with neck muscles??? Why else would it only do it after sitting for awhile and NOT after lying down? But can the muscles get so tight, that it is
slowing down the blood flow and that is what's causing the pressure/fullness and pulsating? And.. can the muscles become so relaxed that quickly, like within 1-2 minutes and have e'thing return to normal so soon??

I have a Blood Pressure monitor and I've tested mine during these episodes and my BP is normal. So I don't believe it has anything to do with it. I don't think mine has anything to do with hunger like Boosmama mentioned.

I'm hoping there si someone out there that knows what is going on. : ) Thank you
Your issue sounds exactly like mine. I have had stress tests and nucleur stress tests recently (where they inject a solution into your veins). Everything looks great. I've had 2 head and neck MRIs one with contrast (They inject a solution into your veins). I recently went to my ENT doctor who ruled out allergies and sinus issues. My next trip is to the Neurologist. I've been to a Neurological assitant who thought it might have to do with Occipital Neuralgia. Some symptoms, but not all. Luckily I have had no pain. I also dont have the effects after getting up in the morning. Oh and I was also sent for physical therapy on my neck and spine with no positive results. Well my posture and neck mobility were terrible. He did seem to relieve that but still no relief of my other symptoms. One thing that I did notice is that I can make it come on when lying on my stomach in bed and turning my head to the far left. This seems to tell me that its more muscular/nerve related then vascular/circulatory. I have light visual effects as well. Only lasting for 2-3 minutes. My primary doctor told me to not sit for more than 15 minutes at time. Thats real practical when I work as an IT phone support person. :)  I am also trying to lose some weight and excersize as I've seen some articles saying that weight plays a role in the issues. I figured, it cant hurt to try to lose weight to see if it helps. Oh yeah and they also thought it might be sleep apnea, so I had a sleep test which said that I have a mild case. Guess what? Losing weight helps eliminate that issue too. Oh well I keep plodding on. I'll write if I get any determination.
Hi...has ur BP been checked and u said ur MRI showed nothing...do u have the report?I would ask someone to review the MRI as a second opinion.

Good luck
"selma"
Yes BP has been checked apon standing and during a minor episode in doctors office. There is a slight rise in BP (like to 155/90) but not enough to make them think it is BP related. The MRI will be viewed by a Neurologist next week. I've almost been tempted to wear a portable BP monitor to check it out during the day.
I just reread my post and realized I didn't post all my symptoms. I basically have constant pressure in my head and ears that varies between annoying and feeling like it's about to burst. The throbbing headaches are not constant but happen quite a bit the more I move my head. Sometimes I feel a squeezing sensation in my head.  I sometimes get tinnitus and my hearing seems to go temporarily quiet.  Sometimes I hear and feel a rapid-fire vibration/sound in my ears that is way too fast to be my heartbeat. On days when my symptoms are bad if I overdo it I start to feel like my brain is fried. My brain sometimes feels like it is vibrating. As far as my neck and the back of my head, they both feel sore a lot and sometimes I feel a burning and muscle spasms in the back of my neck. Also, my eyes sometimes feel like I am looking underwater (hard to explain) and I often feel unbalanced (not exactly dizzy).  Anyway, I recently went to the neurologist, and he said that he felt my symptoms were due to a blockage of the cerebrospinal fluid in my neck from the herniations and bone spurs, and then sent me to a neurosurgeon who discussed doing artificial disc replacement of two discs in my neck and removing the bone spurs. The neurologist also mentioned that the muscle spasms can further contribute to the csf not flowing properly. I also believe that when ligaments become overstretched they can't properly support the spine and head and rely a lot on the muscles to do the job. I also had a brain MRI without contrast and although the report said it was normal, I question if there is a chiari issue based on looking at my own films and comparing to others I've seen on the Internet.  A friend of mine recently told me about how her niece had gone for a long time with chronic headaches and pressure in her head and MRIs showed no herniations or issues in her neck. One of her doctors decided to order a diskogram and found exactly where her issues were coming from in her neck. She had surgery (fusion) and has no more headaches. The neurosurgeon is going to start the process with my insurance company to get me approved for the surgery, so I have about six months to decide. I hope this somehow helps someone else.
Good luck!!!  I hope it goes well and relieves your syptoms (symptoms). My symptoms aren't as bad as yours but because they happen several times a day I wonder what other damage is being caused. I know the Neurologist is my next step. With all the MRIs and XRays they've taken, I would hope they could come to some sort of conclusion. At least they may be able to narrow it down. If they dont know right away what it is, then it seems to be a process of elimination.
Hi, if either of you have your MRI and reports and wonder about them we do have a chiari forum here on MedHelp and we may be able to help u decern if u have chiari issues.

I am the Community Leader in the Chiari Forum and invite u to stop by and read the health pages or some of the threads.

I pray u both find ur answers
"selma"
I googled "pressure in head after driving" thinking I would not find a thing and up popped this site.  I am so relieved to find out I am not alone and I am not crazy.  For the past year or so, I've experience tremendous pressure in my ears and head after getting out of the car....I commute 43 miles one way to work.  I thought maybe I was close to having a stroke.  I did injure my neck several years ago and did not keep up with physical therapy.  After reading other comments, I think there is something occurring in the neck/spinal area which cuts off the blood flow while sitting and then WOOSH, upon standing, it all flows back in.  At least that is what it feels like.  I'm discouraged about seeking medical help since the majority of you say you've been to neuros, cardios, etc. to no avail.  I'm really stressed so perhaps that is it too.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  
It's frustating isn't it? But at least we know we aren't alone. I feel it MUST be related to the neck area. And your description "cuts off the blood flow while sitting and then WOOSH, upon standing, it all flows back in" is VERY accurate. Thats exactly how it feels to me too. Does yours happen only after driving or does it happen after sitting for awhile too? Mine is BOTH. Maybe someday we will find a real answer.
The best thing to do is to take your medical care into your own  hands. Be persistant. I had stomach issues a few years ago and my primary doctor could not find anything conclusive. I researched it online and found similar syptoms (symptoms) from food allergies and such. I went to  nutritionist and was tested (blood) for allergies and found I had a dairy intollerance. By eliminating all dairy from my diet for a few weeks and adding some probiotics my symptoms subsided and finally were eliminated. Needless to say I changed doctors. So the bottom line is not to give up but to push forward and find the right doctor. I know someone who found the reason for her problem after 6 years of symptoms. There has to be some doctor out there that know what is going on. If I find a resolution I will be back here to let everyone know, that's for sure.
So far it has only happened after driving.  The most frequent occurrences are when I stop to get gas for my car on my way to work.  I drive 11 miles before seeing the 1st gas station where I normally stop.  I've attributed the pressure to 1) stress about going to work; 2) drinking coffee in the car to wake up; 3) the smell of gasoline; 4) "I'm allergic to mornings!"; or 5) just getting out of the car too fast (like when you bend over and stand up too fast and get dizzy.  But just yesterday, it happened after I arrived home from work, thus my first posting on this site.  I was really amazed to find so many others experiencing the same thing.  BTW, I have had a few migraines in my life, not many, and I do not agree that these little episodes are migraine-related.  I know what those feel like and I have never had a migraine just prior to or just after experiencing pressure.  
OMG!  I am 3 months postpartum and have been experiencing the same symptoms...I get this pressure feeling in my head when I stand after sitting for awhile. Almost as though there is a belt around my entire head and someone is pulling on it.  The episodes only last for maybe a minute or two.  I also have been experiencing and increase in floaters in both eyes.  I do also have some anxiety and wondering if this all related??  I get alot of tension in my neck and shoulders too. I dont notice an increase in my heart rate.  I am an ICU nurse and have checked my BP which is fine..I am seeing a neurologist next month.  My PCP prob thinks I am a hypochondriac as I have been to see him 4 times in the last 2 months.  It is nice to know that I am not the only one with these symptoms.  
We all feel like hypochondriacs, going back and forth to doctors. I'm more afraid of the time off I take from work for these appts. My boss is understanding but.....
I also dont feel any of this pressure first thing in the morning after getting out of bed. Its only sitting. It also seems milder on the weekends. I thought it might be environmental from work also but it still was there on my vacation around the holidays. I also thought it might be the driving but it happens if Im riding too. Another funny thing is that I get the effect when lying in bed on my stomach and I turn my head too far to the right. if I go the other way it goes away. Thats why im thinking its muscular/neurological rather than vascular.
I should clarify that it happens after getting up from sitting not during. I am perfectly fine 95% of the day as long as I am sitting or standing and going from standing to sitting. Thank God or else I wouldnt be able to even get to work. :)
This may sound abnormal, but you might want to get testing for Diabetes. Also, doctors usually perform cardiac tests sitting down, the problem might be with blood pressure increasing upon standing up. There are simple tests they can perform that have you lay down and then sit up and check bp. The reason food might be making a difference is because the digestion of food will lower blood pressure. A simple fix might be to eat at regular intervals to manually control the issue, but the flip side is this might be masking the larger issue.
Tom, thank you!  I read your post about your prior stomach issues and it reminded me of an incident when I was pregnant with my daughter years ago.  Her father and I developed itchy little bumps on various parts of our bodies, and the itching would get extremely bad at night. We suffered with this for months and were told many different things. When my daughter was born, she also developed the bumps and itching. Hers would become scabs because she would kick and rub her feet together to scratch them. We were scolded by her pediatrician for not knowing she had chicken pox, the doctor in the ER told us they were flea bites and we should flea bomb the house, the list goes on. Finally, we went to a dermatologist who knew right away. He asked us if the itching was worse at night and my jaw just dropped.  By that point we stopped mentioning that to doctors because they just looked at us like we were crazy. It ended up being scabies. (gross, I know)  Anyway, it just made me realize how important it is not to doubt yourself when you have a symptom that may sound strange. Unfortunately, we didn't have a computer at the time, or I probably would have diagnosed it myself. Well, good luck to everyone in finding answers!  Oh yeah, thank you again SelmaS.!
I have same thing going on. It happens only when i stand up from the sitting position and if i lay on my stomach and try to raise my head up. feels like no blood is going to my head, a lot of pressure, and all sound is muffled a bit. it scares the heck out of me.
Does no one have an answer for the cause?
      I have tested my blood pressure several times during my episodes and it's always normal. Does not go up or lower to where it would make any difference.
      I don't believe they have anything to do with migraines or being hungry either. Why would it? Not my symptoms anyway.
      I still think it's all neck and upper spine related to tension somehow. I notice when I sit while in a chair or driving, my muscles tend to tighten in the neck/upper spine area. And tight neck muscles can effect your hearing too.
       Lately, if I am sitting, no matter if in a chair or car, I make sure I try to loosen my neck muscles, stretch them a bit before I stand up and that weird episode doesn't happen. I'm not sure if it's becasue of the stretching before standing, or if it just isn't happening at that time. Like I stated in my other post, it doesn't happen e'time I stand up and walk. So I can't be sure if it helps or not. Also, if I am only sitting for say 5 or 10 minutes, it hasn't happened either. It has to be at least 20 minutes or longer.
      I'm sure if we all work together we will come up with a reason for these episodes.
      I wish  a Dr. would read these posts and give his opinion : )
maybe we are just getting old!
My episodes are sporadic and seem to be less frequent on weekends. I too feel that tightness in the neck and cracking. I have been found to have arthritis in the neck, I plan on taking a copy of these posts to my Neurologist next week to show him Im not crazy. I was also going to monitor my blood pressure with a monitor that I picked up by the drug store. My PCP thinks they are pretty reliable now. I want to see what my BP is when I'm having an episode. I've been tested in the doctors office and it gets to 155/90 but not extreme enough for them to be concerned.
Its gottne to the point where Im getting used to it and planning for them at work. I go to the Mens room for 5 minutes until they pass. It *****.
Please let us know what the neuro thinks when you have your appointment. Can't remember, do you have pain with your episodes? I don't with mine. Wishing you luck : )
   CeCe
I will let you know what the Neurologist says and no I have no pain. The funny thing is that I bought one of those portable BP wrist monitors yesterday and I'm seeing that my BP is higher than I thought during the episodes. I'm going to measure it for the week and see if there is some consistancy. I've had my BP checked by the doctor and it rises slightly after rising but I never have a real episode in the doctors office. I'm going to wear  it to the Neurologists office too because I've had some major episodes getting out of my car and going into the hospital, where the office is. One reading was 210 over 102 which was much higher than they were seeing. My PCP says these monitors are pretty reliable.
Well I've just come from the Neurologist and we have a plan of attach. First of all I went out this weekend and bought a BP wrist cuff. I've done some testing and have found that my BP during my episodes has been high. One reading was 210/110 and most diastolic readings have been around 100. Now the doctors want to try treating it as Intracranial hypertension or at least a part of high BP. I will be in contact with my PCP to try meds. If that doesnt help the symptoms the Neurologist wants to take a spinal tap to test the pressure in my spine. He said that can be treated by meds also. I have an appt with an Opthamologist to test my eye pressure too. So things are moving along.  
I'm glad to hear, as you say, things are moving along.  Maybe you will be the one to find an answer for us all!  I agree with your idea to take a copy of this post along so he won't think you are nuts, so I am going to do the same thing.  Also, I work at the National Institutes of Health and will do some research on this to see if I can find anything.  I'll keep you "posted."  :)
I am happy to hear that your Neurologist is being proactive.  When I read your post I remembered reading about spinal taps (otherwise known as lumbar puncture).  I copied and pasted this, so you can double-check with your doctor in case he decides to do this test.  "Lumbar puncture should not be performed when idiopathic (unidentified cause) increased intracranial pressure (ICP) is present. The exception is therapeutic use of lumbar puncture to relieve ICP. Ideally, a CT scan should be performed prior to lumbar puncture to rule out space occupying lesions. Lumbar puncture should not be attempted when there is coagulopathy, or when there are decreased levels of platelets in the blood."
Good luck!
I go in for a blood test tomorrow and I have a BP check next week. I think the doctor may prescribe BP medicine temporarily. In the mean time I have an appt with an Opthamologist to test the pressure in my eyes and I have a follow up with the Neurologist in a month. They wanted to rule out other issues with the blood test so Im sure the Neurologist knows what to look for. Sometimes Im not so sure about the PCP though. I would have thought he would have had my blood checked months ago. Thats why I'm persistant in my own medical care. Oh well thats why they pay the specialists big bucks. I had 5 doctors in the exam room at one point yesterday. I must've been a rare case (or a head case-lol)
Hi, I have been following this discussion for a while, and decided I would finally leave a comment.

I am a 23 year old Dutch male, and I am suffering the exact same condition BoosMama and a few others have described. I am otherwise in good health (BP is around 115 over 75). It is just this very uncomfortable head pressure sensation that I desperately need to get rid of. It is starting to get in the way of everyday life.

It happens to me almost every time I get up from a recumbent position. The longer I have been sitting, the worse it gets. The exact moment I stand up, either nothing yet happens, or I get a very slight rush, as blood is drained from my head. But some five seconds after, this thing really starts. By then I feel like my cardiovascular system is beginning to hugely overcompensate for the initial pressure loss. Blood is forced up my head/brain at the rhythm of my pulse, and I can actually hear it whooshing past my ears. For a moment all I can do is stand still, as walking seems to bring along more pressure. It usually takes around 20 seconds for this feeling of throbbing and congestion to subside. There is never any pain involved, but the pressure can be so intense I worry something might snap someday.

Walking the stairs, returning from a bent-down position and any sudden excitement also trigger the head pressure for me. Basically, anything that raises the position of the head or rapidly increases the pulse. Oddly, as some of you have noted, it never happens the moment I get up after sleeping. To me, too, this pointed out that the neck muscles may be plying a role. However, the neck stretches/exercises I have been doing recently seem to have little effect.

I have not yet seen a doctor, mainly because I am currently uninsured (I am however required to register for health insurance). Also, I did not think much of it at first. I thought it was a stress-related symptom, that would just gradually disappear. But, even as the anxiety has diminished and I have stepped up my exercise regimen, there is still little sign of improvement. I will hopefully see my doctor in a week or so, but, after reading your stories, I doubt he will have an answer.

At least, I am glad it turns out I am not being a hypochondriac who is imagining it all. There must be something we have in common that is causing this condition.

Try to get your BP checked during on of your episodes. The only way to do this is to pick up one of those wrist cuffs or prtable ones in a drug store. I could never completely replicate an episode in the doctors office. They were at first thinking that it was a drop in BP but I have no symptoms of lightheadedness or fainting. Each time I arose from a seated position the BP rose but not very much. I would try to recreate it for them and I could get one to come on partially and the BP went up slightly higher but not enough for my PCP to consider medication as he didnt think it was high enough. I am seeing much higher numbers using the wrist cuff during actuall episodes. The Neurologist mentioned the possibility of Intercranial hypertension and I've read about Orthostatic Hypertension, which is relative to standing up from a seated position. On a positive note I swear I have felt like my episodes are not as extreme since I started exercising 3 times per week and have lost a little weight. I'll see what happens in a few weeks.
Well I just came from my PCP's office. Here's what we found. The BP cuff wasnt as accurate as I thought. I thought I was on to something. When comparing the cuff to the real thing it was off by about 30-40 points. Not good. My Bp inthe doctors office was fantastic. Good news normally. Like 116 over 66. Man its frustrating. They want to rule it out completely by having a 24 hour BP and Heart rate monitor hooked to me. The worst part is that now I have to take more hours off from work to have these things hooked up at the hospital. I have an appt with the Opthamologist next week and a followup with the Neurologist, to discuss the findings, in June. They took some blood and said everything looked fine. My cholesterol is 116 and sugar is normal. Onward we go........
I know you have been very proactive in trying to find a reason why you feel the way you do and that is obviously very important.  I guess I just want to warn you not to take everything each doctor tells you and run with it.  I would also be extremely cautious about any medications prescribed to you and also tests ordered to make sure they are in no way going to make you worse. I posted that information about the lumbar puncture because I know from experience that you should not always go by what a doctor tells you.  I am not trying to be negative toward doctors, but I have been misdiagnosed repeatedly for 14 years now. I have been to many, many doctors and had many tests done on me. I have thought several times that I had it all figured out.  My symptoms started off to a lesser degree and have become worse over the years.  I have been wrongly prescribed medications that caused severe side effects and over time would have wreaked havoc on other organs in my body.  I suffered severe withdrawal trying to get off anxiety medications that my doctor prescribed when he couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Anxiety has become a "catch-all" diagnosis unfortunately. I was diagnosed with P.O.T.S. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) based on a tilt-table test and also because initially my symptoms were worse when I stood up.  My blood pressure does drop substantially upon standing and my heartrate increases quite a bit, but over time it has become that my heartrate is elevated pretty much all the time.  I tried the medications for P.O.T.S., but they didn't help me at all.  I have been to the Cardiologist, Cardiac Electrophysiologist, allergy doctors, Neurologist, Neurosurgeon, Endocrinologist, Chiropractor, etc...  I have been diagnosed by each specialist according to their specialty.  I was told I have asthma, although I don't think I do.   Yes, I get short of breath, but I believe it is due to my heart going too fast most of the time.  After trying many different inhalers and feeling worse because of the adrenergic effect, I realized I felt much better without them.  Several years ago, I went for allergy shots for a long time thinking it would help all the pressure in my head - it didn't.  I have been down so many different paths and will not give up until I get an answer and feel better; but this journey has taught me a lot.  I no longer put my faith and trust in doctors. I trust God to guide me and trust myself to discern what is the truth and what is not. My daughter, now 18, sustained a cheerleading injury a few years ago, and after listening to doctor after doctor tell her something different; I realized that I had to sort out what made sense and what didn't.  She almost had surgery on her spine based on one doctor's recommendation, and I thank God that I knew enough to look further into it.  Several doctors, because they are specialists and are mainly taught according to their area of expertise, did not look at the big picture to fully understand what was wrong with her.  Anyway, my point is that specialists diagnose according to what they are familiar with.  The body needs to be viewed as whole and obviously issues WITH the heart aren't always a problem OF the heart, etc...  If you are going to have the lumbar puncture done, then please do yourself a favor and at least look up information about it first to make sure that it will not cause you any harm or make you feel worse. A lumbar puncture performed when someone has raised intracranial pressure can be dangerous. I hope you find the answers you need quickly.
I understand what you are saying. It makes me wonder if any of the doctors know whaty they are doing. I look at the bright side and know that there is no pain involved and it really only affects about 5% of my life and I appreciate the other 95%. I also dont want to mess up the other 95% and know that a lot of other people have it much worse than me. The one thing that concerns me most is that we dont know if it could possibly be life threatening or life altering eventually. I've been having these episodes regularly since December and they are not getting worse. Thank God. Right now I'm proceeding with the 24 hour heart and BP monitor and will wait to see the results. I also have a few other things to tell the Neurologist. I have for the longest time felt that it was Neuro-muscular because of the timing of the events. I also have had symptoms when overextending my neck too. This would almost seem to be either a pinched nerve or blood vessel. I, like you, have tried to think of anything that could be a contributing factor. I'll be moving out of my dingy old moldy office soon into a better office. This should eliminate the environmental factor. I've also asked for a new chair that is more ergonomic. On top of that I've started a weight loss and exercise program and have lost 10 pounds so far, so we'll see what happens.
I figured Id let you know what has happened so far. I have a Neurologist appointment the first of June but he ordered some other tests before. I have had my BP checked numerous times and it doesnt seem to rise enough to be concerned. I used a large cuff monitor becaue my PCP didnt think the wrist cuff was accurate enough. I had blood taken and everything was fine. They thought maybe anemia. So it looks like its not BP and Anemia. I also went to the Opthamologist and my eye tests were fine. No pressure issues and no signs of Papladema. They are finding more good things than bad, but still it is a mystery. The symptoms continue daily, although you adapt. I'm hoping the Neurologist has some suggestions. I heard he was Chief of Neurology and a Neurological Surgeon as well. Oh yeah, I switched offices and got a new ergonomic chair so that has eliminated the environmental factor.
I just came from the Neurologist's office. He wants me to have a MRV, which studies the veins in the head and neck. He also would like me to have a lumbar puncture, if nothing is found in the MRV. He thinks it might be either a kinked vein at the base of the skull or PTC. I've been leading towards Pseudotumor for a while now. I've lost about 20 pounds and it seems as though the symptoms are lessening. I'm also aware that we tend not to focus on our pains the more we live with them too. I plan on continuing with the tests and losing weight. I'm not looking forward to a spinal tap but if it gives results it will be well worth it. They say sometimes just the release of the spinal fluid during the procedure gives some relief.
I am 21 years old and experienced these symptoms three days ago. I have been freaking out, but some of the things I have noticed that most of us have in common are that we sit for long periods of time either for our jobs or when studying. Anyways I sometimes get so dizzy that I fall. I do eat a lot of sugar so maybe that has something to do with it. My head feels like it is not getting enough blood but as soon as I get up It start to feel like all the blood in my body is going only to my head and that my veins are about to pop because of the pressure. I have also had a head injury that gave me constant headaches for one year. I also stress like other and have had GERD for a year now. PLZ help me I am scared. I wish a Doctor would review this site and come up with an answer. I am tiered of being broke because all I do is spend my money on MRI, endoscopy's and ultrasounds and there is never an answer for me so I feel like I waisted everything I had. I also get hot flashes constantly and want to sleep forever. AGAIN, HELP!!
It sounds like your Neurologist is being very proactive and doing tests that make sense. It's great that he is looking at the veins in your head AND neck. Thanks to your information, I now have a few more questions for my Neurologist. I just read more information about PTC and increased intracranial pressure, and it sounds like he might be onto something. I also wanted to add that at least a few years ago I went through lots of heart tests also.  I had EKGs, holter monitors, event monitors, ultrasounds, stress tests. The main conclusion that was drawn by a Cardiac Electrophysiologist was that I most likely had P.O.T.S. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), I.S.T. (Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia), or some sort of an autonomic disorder. My symptoms never exactly fit the mold though, and the medications didn't help at all.  I have since discovered that the autonomic nerves run through the neck and they control your heartrate, blood pressure, etc...  After the last heart tests I had about two years ago, my doctor called me and said that my heart's pumping ability (systolic) has weakened and much less than it should be for a woman in her 30s. He thought it was the result of it going too fast most of the time, so he put me on a low dose of Metoprolol (bp meds.) even though I typically have low blood pressure. Also, the worse my symptoms have gotten, the more my blood pressure has gone up. It's not elevated, but for me it is higher than normal.  BTW, I no longer take the Metoprolol since it had no effect on my heart rate. As I have stated from the beginning to him, my head/neck position among other things seems to be the primary influence on my elevated heart rate/issues.  
I was happy to find out that my Neurologist was a Chief Neurologist so that makes me feel better. I also see they have sub specialtys such as Otoneurology (ears) and NeuroOpthamology (eyes). I will look into those specialists if nothing comes from the Neurologist. I honestly think it is less of a vascular problem then spinal pressure. I get this mild pain down my back and in my tailbone, of all places, during an episode. I also told him that when I force raise my head when lying down I get the symptoms as well as when I lay flat on my stomach and turn my head to the left only. Plus it only happens other wise when I go from a seated to standing position. Nothing else. He is leaning towards Intracranial Hypertension (PTC) but wants to rule out vascular. I would think I would get dizzy or light headed if there was a kink in my neck veins though. Does anyone know the difference between an MRI with contrast and an MRV? I would think they both have vascular images.
I am so sorry you are going through this at such a young age. When I read your post it sounded very familiar because I've often said that my head feels like it isn't getting enough oxygen or blood to it at times and like my body tries to overcompensate when I stand up, or even turned over in bed, and now even just turning my head, by making my heart pound and race to get the blood to my brain.  I've also said numerous times that there is so much pressure that I felt like a blood vessel might burst. I too become extremely exhausted by what my body does that I feel I have no control over.  I noticed that you said you had a head injury and headaches for a year. Our SUV went off the road into a ravine about 14 years ago, and although I walked away with seemingly no injuries, my symptoms did start gradually after that. I have had increasing pressure in my head over the years that would often become a horrible throbbing "migraine-like" pain. I didn't know if the headaches were because of my heart racing, but then couldn't figure out why my heart was racing so much - especially with certain movements. I have learned a lot over the years and I'm still trying to piece it all together. I have had prolotherapy injections in my neck to strengthen the ligaments. I did this after reading about something called Barre-Lieou syndrome. This syndrome basically results after the ligaments in the neck become overstretched due to injury. They no longer properly support the spine, and when the spine becomes "moveable" it affects the nerves around it. The prolotherapy did help somewhat with my heart palpitations and shortness of breath I would get, but not 100%.  After having it done the first few times, I had an MRI of my neck done which showed disc herniations and bone spur complexes that were somewhat cutting off the flow of the cerebrospinal fluid. That fluid is supposed to circulate throughout the spinal column and around the brain. My Neurologist believes that that blockage is the reason for my issues. I don't know if this will help you at all, but if you've had a head injury; I guess I question if somewhere between your head and neck if your cerebrospinal fluid is being somehow obstructed.  I assume you've had blood work done to rule out any other issues.  I truly hope this helps you somehow. I don't know if you can afford it, but have you seen a Neurologist? Did you just have an MRI of your head or your neck also? What other tests have you had done?
I just had a head MRV done the other day. The Neurologist called to say that he did see an abnormality. He explained it as one of the veins being obsured at one point and then coming back into view at another point. He thought that either it was caused from birth or that he had also seen that happen in cases of PTC. I have scheduled a lumbar puncture for next week. I'm hoping that is the cause. When you hear "abnornmlity" from a brain vascular scan it kind of scares you. The only thing that keeps me from worrying is that the symptoms are not getting worse and do not resemble stroke symptoms at all.
i've been experience this pressure in my head and eyes for a long time now, when i stand i feel like my head is being filled with helium and my ears get blocked and i feel like my eyes are gonna pop out, it hurts to move them, then the pain goes down my right shoulder and my right butt check very strange i know.  when i sit the pressure subsides, i have a million tests including a stress test, blood tests and mri all negative i can't stand it...
I just read some information about CSF leaks and Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension that causes postural headaches.  If anyone is interested in reading it, you can copy and paste this link.  http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1688  
I have MS and have this problem.  I hate it and like you all I'm tire of going to doctor's and no relief.  It's as though they are playing a guessing game. I done all the tests mentioned and still no remedy to deal with it.   I've had MS for over 20 years, only in the past 3yrs this problem has risen and is getting worst. I am so tired and scared, by the way my left ankle also swells.  
I have been reading this thread off and on for months now.  I am an anxiety sufferer for many, many years.  I have the exact same symptoms.  The unusual thing is, as another has mentioned, it never seems to happen at home.  Never.  Mine also happens after driving or riding in the car, and then standing and walking several feet.  The pressure starts in the neck/base of my head, and causes partial deafness with throbbing in my ears and head.  No pain whatsoever, just intense fullness.  If I am in a position to consciously relax my shoulders, neck...take a few deep breaths, it subsides relatively quickly.  I don't feel truly dizzy, or faint, just uncomfortably full in my head and ears.  I often get the panic response of waiting to see what is going to happen next.  I think that adds to the discomfort and pressure.  So for me, being able to relax and calm myself shortens the duration of these feelings.  
I have read many books on anxiety, and seen many doctors over the course of 30 years.  Finding out that every single element of the human body reacts to anxiety.  Hence, anxiety symptoms can be anywhere.  Sometimes I feel anxiety that relates to chest discomfort (tested many times for heart) sometimes it's in my head/ears (standard neuro testing revealed nothing).  
By all means, go to your physician and have tests to soothe your mind and rule out anything that would need immediate treatement.
But think of this:  when driving, or even riding in the car, we are hyper-vigilant.  We watch constantly, and are on alert constantly.  We are tense.  Some of us are very tense.  All of those tiny muscles in our necks, behind or eyes, inside our ears that move those tiny bones, are tense.  Is it any wonder, if we also suffer from anxiety or panic, that after maintaining a tensed up position for any length of time that we may have some type of muscular spasm causing these strange symptoms?
My doctors have found no abnormalities in any of my testing, other than a low vitamin D count.  But I suffer daily from anxiety, including dizziness, heart palpitations, tinnitus, trembling, dry mouth...etc etc.  I could write a book just about my symptoms.  Anxiety seems to 'move' around in my body.  One area will be bothered, and then a week later, another area will cause some issue.  I am on medication for anxiety. which helps take the edge off the contant "I've had too much caffeine" feeling that comes and goes.
To those of you who get a clean bill of health from your doctors, take some time out now to read about anxiety.  Find out what you can do both diet wise, and lifestyle wise to help yourself.  I have to constantly re-evaluate myself, and look for areas where I am adding to my own issues.  We all need to slow down a little.  Find out what works for you..how to relax and give your tired nervous system a few minutes off of it's patrol.
What body part did they do an MRI of? Your head? How about your spine?  Is it possible you have a disc herniation(s) in your neck (or back) and standing causes it or them to put pressure on nerves and block the cerebrospinal fluid flow? I am just putting this out there since you mentioned the pain down your right shoulder and butt cheek with with pressure in your head.

I have been having this exact same thing off and on for years! It does seem to be happening more often (several times a day). I have slight arthritis in my lower spine and feel that may be the cause.  I think it happens more when I drive because I have a long and sometimes stressful commute and don't pay attention to my posture while driving.  My doctor just shrugs his shoulders.  I am in excellent health and don't push the issue with him because I don't want to appear a cry baby.  This is starting to effect my life since I now fear getting up from sitting.  This does not happen after laying down.  I just want this to go away. I am so happy that I ran across this discussion.  I thought I was going nuts!
HI,
I saw a post up there that said the person had too much or too little blood sugar. Well I have this throbbing but it happens in bed when I roll over. I was diagnosed with diabetes Dec. 23 08. I lost 30 pounds and
changed my diet to fit a diabetic meal plan (limited my carbs to 30 per meal (3 a day) and 15 per snack (2) a day. Had a nutritioist work with me. I lowered my A1c from a 10 (that is a blood test for sugar) to 6.9 without meds(6 is at the top of normal) just by adding excersise and changing my eating. Since then I rarely get the throbbing. I won't say it is completly gone, but it has been greatly reduced. You don't need a special diet, just watch your carbs (carbs like sugar and white flour, rice, potatoes...etc.) You don't need to count veggies unless you are eating a lot of them. I don't eat sugary stuff but I do eat berries and low fat ice cream....occasional glass of wine. I do not eat fast food anymore unless it is a chicken breast with a side salad. You have to eat straight food without sauces when you eat out because they can hide a bunch of sugar in them. So its not all that hard. Try it for yourself and see. :) The main thing is to limit your portion sizes. At the very least you might want to get a blood test for sugar. There are so many types of complaints here that they are probably not all the same thing, but who knows, you might have the same kind as mine. The test will give you piece of mind and is covered by most insurance. BTW I have had the kind som me of you spoke about when standing, but not very often, mine is when I lean over (still pretty strong in that area) and when I roll over (almost gone).
Anything conclusive in any tests or findings?

Another thing, I'm wondering how many of us have certain key items in common.  One being very poor posture in the neck/upper shoulder area.

Please let us all know how everything is going!

Joyful923
I am glad I found these posts.  My mother has been complaining of the same symptoms.  She says that it feels like her head is going to blow off.  I've tried to monitor her blood pressure but it is hard, as I do not live with her and am often not around when she experiences these symptoms.  Her doctor seems to just think it is stress but she has not had any of the tests that you all have been describing (lumbar puncture, MRI, etc.)  Are there other symptoms that everyone has in common?  My mom has Restless Leg Syndrome, a persistant cough, history of depression, overweight but not obese.  Does anyone else have any of these symptoms?  Maybe if we find other things in common we could tell if this is caused by a prexisting condition.
I did get information from the primary care doctor that I am "loaded" with arthritus in my neck and shoulders. I will be seeing my Neurologist next week for more results of tests I had a week ago. The spinal tap did show that my spinal fluid pressure was near normal and I had no symptom improvement after the fluid was extracted. I had an MRA done and the doctor saw that one of my Jugular veins had an abnormality. It disappeared at one point and reappeared at another point. The other Jugular vein seemed to be enlarged, possibly to compensate. He said that it could have been there since birth, but we will discuss further next week. One ongoing syptom (symptom) I want to discuss with him is that the symptoms occur for me while lying down on my stomach with my head turned to the left only. I never believed that it was circulatory, but now I think that something might be being pinched.
How have your symptoms been during all of this?  Have you seen any changes for the better?

Although your doc did find an abnormality in your jugular area, I wonder if the arthritis in your neck is giving your more problems than the vessel.  Power of reason says that if it was a blood vessel, the worst time for blood flow would be immediately upon rising in the morning, because of the need to increase blood pressure/flow to the head.  Yet most here never feel that way first thing in the morning.  However arthritis can cause so many issues from boney growths and calcifications pressing on nerves and areas it shouldn't.  Especially in an aggravated position...like being seated tensely watching a monitor, or the road...

Just wondering what conclusion we'll all end up with...

Avatar_dr_m_tn
The cause of your symptom could be Orthostatic hypotension . Symptoms, which generally occur after sudden standing or stretching (after standing), include dizziness, euphoria/near out of body experience , hearing sounds in a different manner, lightheadedness, headache, blurred or dimmed vision (possibly to the point of momentary blindness), generalized (or extremity) numbness/tingling and fainting, coat hanger pain (pain centered in the neck and shoulders), and in rare, extreme cases, vasovagal syncope. They are consequences of insufficient blood pressure and cerebral perfusion (blood supply). Occasionally, there may be a feeling of warmth in the head and shoulders for a few seconds after the dizziness subsides. Orthostatic hypotension is primarily caused by gravity-induced blood pooling in the lower extremities, which in turn compromises venous return, resulting in decreased cardiac output and subsequently lowering of arterial pressure. Still, the blood pressure does not normally fall very much, because it immediately triggers a vasoconstriction (baroreceptor reflex), pressing the blood up into the body again . Lifestyle changes and a modification of meal timings  may relieve the symptoms . For complete information , please visit the site - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

I hardly have a problem with this anymore since I quit smoking so your diagnosis makes sense!
My symptoms never include lightheadedness and never happen apon rising in the morning. Each of us may have a different diagnosis. The other thing that I did mention to my doctor at one point that during my episodes I also have a pain in my tailbone area. Does anyone else experience this? My doctor originally said it could be seperate but why would it happen during each episode?
I didn't feel like reading back through again to see if you have had an MRI of your C-spine or not. As I said previously, I have bone spur complexes, multiple disc herniations, and cord compression in my neck. My MRI clearly showed the cerebrospinal fluid being blocked on both sides around my spinal cord due to these issues. The neurosurgeon is planning on removing the bone spurs and two of the discs and replacing them with artificial discs. My symptoms have increased over the years, and I believe they started shortly after an accident I was in when I sustained whiplash. The symptoms used to be more episodic or positionally related, but now they are much more frequent and sometimes constant. Since the bone spurs have been growing over time I believe that may be what has contributed to the increase in symptoms. Arthritis can cause bone spurs (osteophytes) to form.which might be able to explain why lying on your stomach and turning your head to the left could trigger your symptoms. I think Joyful923 makes some very good points. Just my two cents - hope it helps somehow.
I think it is great that you are being proactive for your mom. It is very frustrating when doctors chalk life altering symptoms up to stress. Of course, as Joyful923 mentioned previously, anxiety can cause a variety of symptoms. I also think that having to live long-term with undiagnosed issues without relief or answers can also be anxiety-producing. I have repeatedly questioned myself as a result of years of searching for answers and a solution.

Anyway, as far as finding things in common... I personally don't deal with Restless Leg Syndrome, cough, or depression, and I'm not overweight. I have low blood pressure although at times it feels like it is very high based on all the pressure (primarily in my head). Does your mom generally have low, normal or high bp? There are adrenal disorders that can cause elevated blood pressure issues. It's unfortunate that your mom has not had an MRI considering her feeling like her head is going to blow off at times. She should have one of her head and her neck to rule out things like tumors, neck issues, Chiari malformation, etc...  If at all possible, you should see if she can make a doctor appointment when you could go with her. I wouldn't let her doctor dismiss her without doing further tests since the feeling she gets in her head is not normal.
Thanks for the ideas. I will be bringing them to the Neurologist this week to discuss. I do believe I had an x-ray done of my neck. Maybe an MRI or MRA of that area is needed.
Well I went to the neurologist for a followup and everything came back normal. My spinal pressure was just above normal, so he wants to have me try lasix for 4 weeks. He also suggested that I see a Neuro Opthamologist in Boston. He seemed to think it was more vascular then nerve related. Hes not sure of it could be from the abnormality in my jugular vein. We'll see. He also didnt think it would be related to the arthritus in the neck area.
How have your symptoms been?  
Symptoms have been the same. It's like anything, you learn to live with it and adapt. It's hard to believe that it started abruptly 7 months ago and hasn't gotten better or worse. The symptoms never came on gradually. They were just there.
This is just a thought.  As I was researching these symptoms, because of dealing with them myself, I stumbled upon a woman who had been plagued by the same thing.  For months it went on, and she visited numerous specialists, to be told that although they would find some irregularity, it was benign and not causing her symptoms.
Her ENT suggested just a trial on an over-the-counter allergy med.  Within three weeks her symptoms were dramatically reduced, and over two months dissappeared completely.
She still has no idea what it is or was, but continues her allergy medication and remains symptom free.

This was probably a year or so ago, but I will try to find the account and post the link.
Although we may be dealing with completely different issues, I personally went the route of going to an allergist years ago. I tried several different medications and allergy shots. They also said I had asthma, and I tried several different inhalers for that. In the end, the medications all made me feel worse due to side effects and didn't help me at all. The inhalers made my heart race even faster and made me more short of breath. I was even put on Advair at one point and finally came to the conclusion that I do not have asthma, and allergies weren't causing my head to feel the way it does.

I am not saying that it isn't something to look into for another person.  It couldn't hurt to try an OTC to at least see if it helps.  It just wasn't a solution to my issues.
I at one point thought that it could be allergies but when I went to my ENT he dismissed it. It's funny because my mom who we call "Dr Mom" thinks that it could be allergies. I will be seeing a Neuro Opthamologist soon about my visual symptoms so we'll see if I have to see an Otoneurologist for the ears. I'm on diuretics now but maybe after this trial I'll try some allergy meds. Sometimes I think it might be food allergies too because I was tested as having intollerance to dairy and a few other things. Maybe I should eliminate all dairy again. Although I have eliminated most.
I just reread your post and it reminded me that initially my symptoms were very similar to yours. They were much more episodic and triggered the same way you describe. That is what led me to go to a cardiac electrophysiologist.  He is the doctor that diagnosed me with P.O.T.S. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)  which is a type of autonomic disorder.  Dr. Rajgopal posted on here about Orthostatic Hypotension which is very similar.  There are several theories about why this might occur and for some people there are medications that help them.  They didn't work for me though and my symptoms over time increased to become more constant.

There have been studies done to show that posterior fossa and/or cervical cord compression may be the cause for some of these autonomic disorders. Here is a link to one study: http://www.nfra.net/fibromyalgia_rosner_6.htm  This study specifically mentions POTS and NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension) - (Here is one link for more information on NMH if you're interested: http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/high-pulse-low-blood-pressure.html)  The study I mentioned here also states that, "The relationship of the upper spinal cord and brainstem to cardiovascular symptoms is clear cut". "More importantly than any given ‘symptom’ is the concept that the upper cervical spinal cord/medulla is capable of causing dysfunction in multiple vegetative systems which lead to a plethora of somatic complaints.  All too often, physicians dismiss these complaints as psychosomatic/non-organic/non-anatomic and refer the patient for psychiatric evaluation—a dead end for most.  The brainstem and upper cord are the one area of the nervous system where all of these functions coincide."

I'm not sure if this will help you or anyone else, but I feel the need to share what I have learned in case it might help even one person avoid what I have gone through.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You could be having Orthostatic hypotension .Hypotension means a drop in blood pressure, which is what happens in the head upon rising too quickly.  Basically, what that means is when you rise too rapidly from a seated or lying position, you create a momentary change in your blood pressure which can make you feel dizzy or make your head throb.  For example, if you are lying or sitting down, the blood in your body can pool in the lower parts of the body to a very minor degree.  It’s not typically significant since your body is efficient at pumping your blood to all of the tissues unless there is some underlying pathology.  But it is an amount of blood that is significant enough to temporarily affect the upper regions of your body (your head) when you rise too rapidly.  So when you stand up, gravity will cause more blood to fall into the lower portions of your body.  It’s a simple mechanism that works the same way gravity causes water to flow downwards in a waterfall.  Thankfully, your body has blood pressure sensors (baroreceptors) that tell your brain that there is a slight drop in blood pressure and that not enough blood is being pumped back up to the brain for oxygenation.  This is when you will experience the dizziness, lightheadedness, or throbbing sensation.  So then a reflex is created.  The brain registers the lack of blood in the upper body, and consequently, tells the arteries to squeeze harder (slightly elevating the blood pressure) to bring the extra blood pooling in the lower areas of the body back up to the brain and compensate for the original momentary drop in blood from the head/neck regions.  This is also when you’ll feel momentary throbbing in your head as your arteries compensate and contract a little harder to bring more blood into the brain.  Until your arteries compensate for the change in blood pressure, you will experience the dizziness and throbbing, but it should not last too long.  This baroreceptor reflex is completely normal.  Please discuss this with your cardiologist . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !
I can't help but wonder why when you lie on your stomach and turn your head to the far left your symptoms come on. It reminded me of when I had an ultrasound done on my heart a few years ago and when I turned, the technician said, "Wow, your heartrate just shot up!" Not that it's the same thing, but to me it's a clue.

Do you have your MRI films at home?  If you do, look at them yourself and check for things like a Chiari malformation that may have been missed. That could be one possible explanation and some technicians and/or doctors dismiss that. You can also check to see if in any way your cerebrospinal fluid is impeded anywhere around your spinal cord starting at the brain. (If you have a neck MRI) Do you have any discs bulging? I know of someone whose neck MRI didn't show any herniations, but she had chronic headaches, so they did a discogram which showed that she did have a ruptured disc because they could see the dye they injected leaking on the x-ray. She had surgery and her symptoms completely went away. Apparently when a disc leaks it contains a chemical that irritates the nerves causing them to swell. I realize this doesn't necessarily sound like your problem, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

One other thing I've often wondered about is the fact that when an MRI, MRV or other tests are done, they are often done while lying in one position. How do they know that a blood vessel or whatever they are looking at doesn't become affected with positional changes only?  Wouldn't it make sense to view the area while in several different positions, especially if the problem is exacerbated in certain positions?
I said the same thing to the neurologist. Why if my symptoms are positional are these MRI/MRVs being done lying down. I dont think he gave me an answer. Medicine is a guessing game and a process of elimination. I had a spinal tap done which is to determine if my spinal fluid pressure is high enough to justify PTC and when it came back near normal he prescribed diuretics anyway. He said although the tests showed that the pressure is not high, there is always a possiblity that the pressure rises on occasion????? So to eliminate this possibility we can try diuretics to see if it deceases the head pressure over a four week trial. In the mean time I will see the neuro opthamologist to see what the connection could be to the eyes. I actually cannot hear between pulses during these episodes. The hearing comes back in two minutes. I hear that the Jugular vein runs close to the inner ear and I now know there is an abnormality with one of the veins.
Any new conclusions with anyone?  I have something anecdotal to relate.  I have been sick since the end of July with an ear infection.  Doc isn't sure that it might be exacerbated by allergies.  Anyway, during my confinement, I had NO episodes.  None!  And during my current recovery, I've only had two.  I'm not sure what is contributing to the calmness, but I'll take it!

I have also eliminated all sugar, all flour, and all caffeine.  That was just on trial suggested by a friend.  No clue what is working or what isn't.

Take Care, and update us!!
That is a great clue. I seem to notice that on weekends or when I'm away I dont drink as much caffeinated coffee and the episodes aren't as bad. I'll have to give it a serious try. On a side note I have been taking some Lasix to see if fluid would be reduced in my head and after two weeks I thought I was seeing some marked improvement. Then towards the end of last week I had a few strong episodes. I still would like to try it for a few more weeks to see  if it would help over time.
I'm glad I saw this topic, because I think I can honestly help.   I have this symptom, too... I have a very good ENT doctor who once told me it's just due to a temporary alteration in the hemodynamics in the head.   Think of it this way, when you have your blood pressure taken, sometimes if the cuff is too tight,  you feel an almost painful pressure in your arm,  same thing is going on in your head with the shift in hemodynamics.   It's a benign occurance,  to avoid it you should stretch your legs and arms before standing and then stand slowly and just take a deep breath.
You know, that makes such perfect sense!  I thought from the beginning it was an issue with blood pressure...because the symptoms just 'felt' like it was.  And I noticed how quickly it diminished when I purposely relaxed the tension in my shoulders and neck without moving.  It subsided quite quickly.  If I wasn't in a position to do that, the rushing of moving around or speaking and movement would make the symptoms worse until it took it's course and calmed down.
That would also make sense during my illness.  I was not unduly stressed because I could not go anywhere while I wasn't feeling well.  I moved slower, again because I didn't feel good.  I also cut out flour, caffeine and sugar..and also SALT..(I forget to add that one).  Most of those can contribute to fluctuations in blood pressure.  I hadn't thought of the leg and arm stretching, but what I had started doing was flexing my leg muscles when I first stood up to make sure the blood was properly moving out of my extremities after sitting for a while.
Deep breaths also helped, as I did that when I felt one coming and at the same time tried to relax my neck and shoulder muscles.

Thank you so much for posting this!  Although it may not be an answer to everyone, I have seen some accidental small improvements that might go along with that thought.

I will do a trial run...and let everyone know how it goes!
I have been experiencing the same thing as BoosMama!  It happens more if my stomach is empty.  I have low blood pressure normally, and have had serious stress lately, however, after I have been driving or sitting, I will get out of the car or get up and the same thing happens...I will walk 20 feet and I feel as though blood is rushing to my head, pulsating ,and it seems like my head is going to explode and it takes about 30 seconds to dissipate.  I heard that it could be vasovagal syncope, described below, which is not life threatening...hope this helps!  

• What is Vasovagal Syncope?

Vasovagal syncope is not a serious or life threatening condition, but in effect an abnormal reflex. This results in a drop in blood pressure leading to decreased blood flow to the brain resulting in dizziness or fainting. The mechanism of vasovagal syncope is the subject of a great deal of research. It may best be described as the following:

• When we sit or stand, blood settles in the legs and abdomen
• As a result, less blood returns to the heart
• The blood vessels leaving the heart have detectors in them called baroreceptors that detect a decrease in blood pressure
• The baroreceptors send a message to the brain, which in turn sends a signal to the heart to increase the heart rate, and tighten up the blood vessels
• This process occurs constantly in all of us as we adapt to changes in posture
• In vasovagal syncope, an abnormal reflex occurs that results in withdrawal of the message that speeds up the heart and tightens up the vessels, often because of an overshoot in the reflex that compensates for the fall in blood pressure
• The resultant decrease in blood flow to the brain will result in dizziness or lightheadedness if mild, and progress to fainting or loss of consciousness if more severe
• There are several variants of vasovagal syncope that can trigger the same reflex, including situations such as the sight of blood, injury, blood testing (needles), going to the washroom and several others that are quite uncommon.

What are the symptoms?

The symptoms in vasovagal syncope are slightly different for each person, but often include many of the following characteristics:

• Most episodes occur while standing, occasionally sitting and almost never lying down.

Patients that learn to recognize the warning signs can avert losing consciousness by sitting or lying down promptly.
Lifestyle measures

These are primarily directed at raising the blood pressure and improving the blood pressure “reserve”.

• Trigger recognition: patients should do their best to recognize situations where episodes are likely to take place. This includes avoiding prolonged standing (church, assembly, lineups), looking away during blood testing etc. If symptoms occur, crossing the legs and squeezing while sitting, or laying down and elevating the legs will help shorten the episode and raise the blood pressure. Though awkward, this is less of a spectacle than blacking out and drawing attention to oneself. It is seldom necessary to attend the emergency room.

• Salt and Water intake: The main components of blood are salt and water. Most patients with vasovagal syncope have periods of low blood pressure, or usually have low blood pressure. Increasing fluid intake to a minimum of 8 cups (2 liters) and preferably 12 cups (3 liters) per day often raises blood pressure. Ideally these fluids and the diet will include more salt to accompany the water. This can take the form of electrolyte solutions (Gatorade like fluids), fruit juices, salt in cooking or at the table, or salt tablets that can be requested from the pharmacist. Salt tablets may be hard to find. We have found them through IDA Pharmacies, Certified brand NaCL (sodium chloride) tablets, 600 mg each, usually taking 2-4 tablet per day. More salt and water are necessary if the weather is hot, or if vigorous exercise is performed, which increase body water loss.

• Tilt training is a simple way to train the blood vessels in the legs to improve their ability to pump blood back to the heart. Stand with your feet 15-20 cm (6-8”) from the wall and lean against the wall for 30 minutes at least 4 times a week. At first this may cause dizziness or even blackouts, but over time it will allow affected patient to tolerate standing without frequent dizziness. Regular weight bearing exercise (walking, jogging, stairmaster etc) will also improve muscle pumping of blood back to the heart.

That is all good information. My particular symptoms do not contain dizziness or passing out though. I'm sure there are different underlying causes for a lot of our symptoms here. I've had my blood pressure checked standing, sitting walking and getting up from sitting and there is little difference. While it is not raised it doesnt drop as well. But that is me and others should get their blood pressure checked in all positions. I have often thought it might be dehydration as well, because that does effect BP. I should probably just drink lots of water for a week or so with nothing else and see if that helps.
The information on Vasovagal Syncope sounds interesting accept the part that more sodium is needed. I would guess that most people don't need MORE sodium do to the over consumption already in food.  

Just an update, for what its worth, since I have started taking a small dose of a Diuretic along with my 20mg Lisinopril (to keep Blood Pressure controlled), my symptoms are almost gone now. These throbbing symptoms are much more mild and almost unnoticable. This is even true for the Meniere's Syndrome symptoms that I had. They are almost gone too. This leads me to believe that the Diuretic helped somehow. I noticed 2-3 days after starting the diuretic. That was the only thing I changed. I'm a happy man!

Take Care!
Well I thought I would post some good news. My neurologist has put me on Lasix for the past 4 weeks and I believe I am seeing some results. My episodes have been cut in half and the strength of them is in half as well. He put me on 20mg and I just had my blood tested for potasium levels. The results were fine, so he increased the dosage by 10mg. I'll keep everyone informed. We were looking at PTC right along but my spinal tap did not show the numbers that they were looking for. He did think that the numbers might increase on positional change. Ive also noticed a lessening of the tinitus as well. Ive noticed that I havent had to wait 5 minutes after rising from a seated position for a while now. The episodes seem bearable but not eliminated yet.
Just wondering if your symptoms have continued to improve?
The symptoms have not completely subsided but I am trying to determine at what percentage they have decreased. I have been put on 60mg of Lasix, up from 40 almost two weeks ago. The episodes still happen but I think less frequently and less strong. I have an appointment with the neuro-opthamologist in a week or so too. I've been kind of holding off posting because the symptoms are still there and am trying to gage the possible improvement. Wish I could have better news.
I went to the Neuro Opthamologist last week and he thinks that my symptoms are from circulation. This is the third Opthamologist that is pointing that way. Lasix also helps with blood pressure as well as spinal fluid pressure. I have an appointment with my Neurologist in two weeks. My primary doctor is leaning towards Orthostatic Hypertension. I find very little about this on the web as most cases are about Orthostatic Hypotension. This seems very rare but treatable. I will post more about my findings soon.
It certainly would make sense.  It physically feels like a rise in blood pressure.  From what I read, it actually is similar to Postural Hypotension, but your heart just works harder and your body responds more vigorously in pushing the blood up to your head.
It appears toalso result from venous pooling.  Perhaps the suggestion to rise slowly, move slowly and flex our muscles in our arms and legs is a good one.  My symptoms have not been as disturbing lately, and were nearly gone when I reduced salt and modified my diet.  Also, when I was sick and moving much slower, I improved dramatically, with no episodes for over a month.

Keep us posted!
I am just curious if anyone else is affected by the weather.  We have had a lot of rain the past few days, and the pressure in my head has been awful!
I HAD THE SAME SYMPTOMS!  I WENT TO A CARDIOLOGIST , HE RAN TEST INCLUDING A TILT TABLE, 21 DAY MONITOR AND DISCOVERED I HAD P.O.T.S http://podcasts.mayoclinic.org/2008/04/23/postural-orthostatic-tachycardia-syndrome-pots/
I went to my Neurologist and he is still leaning towards Pseudotumor Cerebri. The Neuro Opthamologists believe it is not. I am on Lasix 60mg and my symptoms have improved by 80%. Lasix can be used for a number of things including spinal fluid reduction and blood pressure treatment. Like most people on this thread I have done extensive searching for treatments to our symptoms. I have also thought about seeing a Cardiologist for circulatory questions. I will look further into POTS before seeing my Primary Care Doctor in two weeks. The Neurologist suggested trying a low does BP medicine to see if the symptoms could be reduced even further. Does anyone know if Lasix helps with POTS?
I too have this problem....pressure on my neck and pulse-like-sound in my ears upon rising. My neuro thinks it is postural hypotension. He checked my pressure both sitting and then immediately after standing, and he did detect a drop. He also detected a compensatory increase in heart rate.This sensation gets worse as the day progresses. I belive this may be due to volume contraction from dehydration. I also have peripheral edema which worsens as the day goes. I have been told to drink lots of fluids and to rise slowly. Hope this helps!
In my own case I do not experience any sign of fainting, lightheadedness or dizziness upon rising. Everything I have found on line lead to Hypotension, which is a drop in pressure. I believe mine is an increase in pressure which is hypertension. If you search on Google for Orthostatic Hypertension it trys to point you to Hypotension, which is the exact opposite. There is very little known about this disease. This is shown by the lack of information on the web. My doctors are puzzled but I think I am on the right track for myself, with the diuretics.
I have an update on my symptoms. I have noticed a 90-95 decrease in them using a generic version of Lasix. The episodes have almost completely diminished over the weekends and at home. At work they are there, slightly, but managable. No more standing and waiting for the symptoms to subside before I proceed in walking. They have yet to determine what the cause is yet, but the relief is tremendous. I guess Lasix works on relieving fluid pressure and BP as well. I have an appt with an OtoNeurologist in a couple of weeks to see if its connected to Mennieres disease. I'll post if he finds anything.
Good to hear Tom.  Mine has subsided greatly as well, with only occasional instances.  I have no idea why.  However on my visit to my ENT for an auditory problem he did mention the possibilty of a benign tumor relating to my hearing.  He will be retesting in December for that.  For whatever reason, my symptoms have lessened too, although I am dealing with other health issues related to external stressors. (Mom broke her hip and is living with us).

Keep us posted!

Good to hear about your symptoms subsiding. It is a scary thing when you think your going to have a stroke or something as severe or life threatening. Especially when doctors cant figure it out. At least in my case they will know the medicine is helping, so they can backtrack from there. I hope all goes well with your Mom. I know my stress level would go up if I had my Mom living with us - lol.
Thank you for this posting. I have been suffering with the same symptoms for almost 2 years. My PCP is not sure what to do. I look forward to your updates. I have an appt. in January with my PCP to figure out what route to take next. Hope your symptoms continue to subside.
I'm 22 yrs old and have these same symptoms......have not been to a Dr yet....but after browsing the web I cou d this site as well as the following response so the same symptoms on another website...swer
Disclaimer: please do not take any of my advice without at least consulting with your doctor(s) first. If necessary, print this email in its entirety for your doctor(s) to read. In addition, please do not attempt to use this website or my advice as a substitute for your healthcare needs, as a substitute for the advice of your doctor, or as a substitute for any legal advice. There is no way a thorough health evaluation or assessment of any medical condition can be properly made via email. Please only use the contents discussed as a guide or tool to address your health matters with your doctor(s). If any of the information I provide conflicts in anyway with the information your doctor(s) provide, it is always best to default to the information provided by your consulting doctor(s) or to seek additional opinions from qualified, licensed healthcare providers as needed.

Hello L.,

Although I cannot say for sure and it is uncertain without an evaluation and history, it sounds like you might be experiencing orthostatic hypotension.  Basically, what that means is when you rise too rapidly from a seated or lying position, you create a momentary change in your blood pressure which can make you feel dizzy or make your head throb.  In actuality, the pulsing or throbbing sensation is related to vascular headaches.  For example, if you are lying or sitting down, the blood in your body will start to slightly pool in the lower parts of the body.  It’s not typically significant since your body is fairly efficient at pumping your blood to all of the tissues.  But it is an amount of blood that is significant enough to temporarily affect the upper regions of your body (your head) when you get up too rapidly.  So when you stand up, gravity allows more blood to fall into the lower portions of your body.  It’s a simple mechanism that works the same way gravity causes water to flow downward in a waterfall.  Thankfully, your body has blood pressure sensors (baroreceptors) that tell your brain that there is a slight momentary drop in blood pressure and not enough blood is being pumped back up to the brain for oxygenation.  This is when you can experience a dizziness, “lightheadedness,” or throbbing sensation.  So then a reflex is created.  The brain registers the lack of blood in the upper body, and consequently, tells the arteries to squeeze harder (slightly elevating the blood pressure) to bring the extra blood pooling in the lower areas of the body back up to the brain.  This is when the dizziness subsides and you will feel normal.  This is also when you’ll feel momentary throbbing in your head as your arteries are compensating and contracting a little harder to bring more blood into the brain.  This is a normal reflex.  But as we age, unfortunately, our bodies become less efficient and slower to normalize the blood flow and pressure homeostasis.  So, orthostatic hypotension can be encountered much more commonly in the older population.  You can also sometimes encounter this when climbing stairs as the blood goes to the muscles of your legs to raise the body up the stairs.  Any time you get up too quickly from a chair or your bed, you can experience this.  Young people experience this, too.  However, if it starts occurring more and more frequently with greater intensity, you might want to check with your doctor again to make sure there isn’t some strange underlying cause for your experiences.  

Check with your doctor and verify the following recommendations.  Definitely make sure your body is well-hydrated.  If there is not enough fluid in your blood, your blood can become hypovolemic (a lower than normal volume from lacking fluids).  Another thing that is important is to slowly rise from the seated position.  If you are getting out of bed, go to the seated position first and wait a minute or two while your blood pressure normalizes.  Then slowly get out of bed after sitting a bit.  If you’ve been lying down a long time and get up too quickly, you could even faint if your baroceptor reflex is not efficient enough, so keep this in mind if your symptoms are severe.  The same is true if you’ve been sitting for a long period of time.

I hope this letter helps you a bit and provides you some guidance.

Best of luck with this!!

Dr. J.R. Strecker, D.C.

Isn't the internet amazing? Some malady you think is solely your own, only to find it's common among others.

It's not too bad with me. It seems it has to be 90 minutes or more in a seated position, then after standing up, I get the slight dizziness and hearing issues (sounds like someone is turning the volume switch down and back up quickly, to the beat of my heart). It goes away after a few minutes, so no real big deal I guess.
I'm happy to say that my symptoms have all but subsided. I am taking 60mg Furosimide daily. I went to the Oto-neurologist recently and he found nothing out of the ordinary. I have an appointment with my neurologist and I'd like him to at least give his opinion as to what he thinks it is. I'm leaning towards Pseudotumor Ceribri even though all of the symproms are not there. The diuretic is obviously relieving fluid pressure in my head. I hope this will help some of you as well. Even though we dont all have all of the same symptoms it might be worth giving the meds a try to see if they help. Its been a year since the symptoms started and I cant believe the difference.  
I read a post that said when a diuretic was added to a dose of Linisiprol(BP med) the symptoms went away.  I have the same problems and have been out of my BP med for a week and today started experiencing the same symptoms.  Somehow it is related to BP and the med does help.  I just wish I new the name and why's of the problem!
Ive had my BP checked numerous times over the past year and none of my readings have been high. Of course the doctors are trying to be cautious about giving me any BP lowering drugs because that can cause other issues. The diuretics are supposed to help with BP somehow as well. It's frustrating but at least my symptoms are going away. Now I want to drop about 30-40 pounds and see if I can get off the meds all together.
Hello.  I just wanted to add that my father has Menier's disesase.  He was diagnosed in 1983 after suffering spinal meningitis.  He takes over the counter Bonnine.  When he wakes up he chews one.  Sometimes he needs three a day.  He gets VERY motion sick when in the car, boat or plane.  STanding in the pool makes him sick.  He also has balance problems.  Bonnine is great he keeps it in his wallet and can chew it anytime, anywhere.  Which doctor does he see for this?  The Ear, nose, and throat doctor.  This condition is of the inner ear.  
I hope this helps someone!!!
I have the exact same symptoms of the original poster too. The issue with ortostatic hypotension diagnosis is that upon waking in the morning I am symptom free. It's typically about 30 seconds after getting out of the car and lasts for about 30 seconds. The pulsing (with pain for me) up the neck and behind my ears with sound undulation. Kind of like how a fan distorts sound. Sometimes I stop and other times I walk through it. More often than not it happens as I'm walking into a store or the gym. (no these places do not sress me). Less often this happens at home, but it does. Once while sitting and shifting position it happened. Feels stroke like. I will be seeing a cardiologist soon with many of these prior posts. I hope this is figured out.

Also I do have (and am being treated for) Lymes disease but am otherwise very active and fit.
I am having your exact same symptoms and recently had an MRI and they found out that I have a degerated disc in my neck.  My symptoms happen only after I've been sitting at a desk or in a car for a lengthy amount of time.  My posture is not the best either since i was invloved in a head on collision in 2001 and now my head juts forward causing me to slump my shoulders.  My symptoms do not occur every day.  Sometimes I can go days on end without it happening, which confuses me even more.  I did notice that I went on a 7 day vacation this past summer and did not experience the symptoms once, but on vacation, you're always on the go.  I think it's muscle stress/tension/trigger point related.   Does anyone else feel a heaviness/pressure in the forehead/ nose bridge area when you stand up?
I forgot to mention a few things in my earlier post.  First of all, I don't have any pain or throbbing in my head and I have no dizziness.   It's more like just a fullness mostly in my forehead area and ears, almost like being underwater.and yes, the sound does go down for about 10 seconds when I'm having an episode, as well as I feel a tenseness and warmth in my neck and shoulders. It not only happens when I stand up though.  i can be seated at my work desk for some time and turn a certain way and get the same symptoms.  I do notice, and I want you guys to try this,  hold your shoulders back and rest your head on the head rest in your car when you're driving.  I've been doing that, and the symptoms have stopped when I'm getting out of my car after driving an extensive amount of time.  2 years ago, when these symptoms first started, I was sleeping on 2 thick pillows.  I slept that way for almost 2 years until I started having occipital headaches.  I had never before had them, so I knew that too many pillows was putting my neck and shoulders in a constant strain and causing my headaches. No doubt causing trigger points as well.   Sure enough, I began sleeping on only one pillow and my headaches completely disappeared!!  Didn't take but about 2 weeks!  Anyway, when the occipital headaches began, so did the head/ear fullness!  Has anyone been to a chiropractor and had the cause explained to them and did the adjustments help?  A chiro is my next step.  Maybe by us all putting our full heads together, we can come up with an answer!!  
Hello i just turned 15 and i've been watching this site for a couple weeks know and found dozens and dozens of people who have been having this problem but the youngest ive seen is 17 years old.
i have had this same exact problem for about 3 months...i have no idea what it is. i suffer bad migranes (migraines) and mild anxiety, not taking anything for them. i also have tingling in my arms shoulders and legs...in my legs, about 2 or 3 times a day i get a really bad stabbing like chronic pain under my knee cap and its dabilitating. i can be walking and it happens and ill collapse.
as for the head pressure, yesterday i was sitting on the couch drinking water as i get up things seem to slow down. about 5 seconds after i got up i had to wrap around the wall to not collapse.
i want to know if this could be caused by anxiety or stress and if i should tell a therapist about it when i go to get evaluated. its also scaring me becasue it just gets worse and worse.
thank you, nick
i also forgot to add that i have been having over reactive necks movements, twitches and pains...please somone help
Many of these symptoms can be related to mastocytosis.  There are drugs that should definitely not be prescribed or taken by mastocytosis sufferers.  Many doctors fail to consider a mastocytosis diagnosis, because they have been taught that it is exceedingly rare.  If you flush when you drink alcohol, have had allergic responses to different drugs, are allergic to bees, ants or wasps (hymenoptera), then consider having your tryptase levels checked.  Orthostatic hypotension and orthostatic hypertension are common with mastocytosis.  For the 15 year old, you may grow out of the hypotension episodes you seem to be experiencing, but if you request tryptase testing, then you can know with certainty for the duration of your life that you have to do things a little differently if it comes back positive for mastocytosis.  There is a lot of doctor education that you may have to do, and a lot of doctors are resistant to patient initiated information, so good luck with that.
I went to the Neurologist yesterday and he believes I have a mild case of PTC. The symptoms are now gone. I cant believe that I actually dont have to prepare myself for the onset of an episode anymore. It's like a miracle. Not everyone here has the exact same symptoms and could end up with completely different diagnoses. I encourage every one to be persistant with your doctors and keep googling your symptoms.
Thank you, Tom.  I am so glad to hear that your symptoms are gone. What a blessing that you have been so consistent in keeping everyone updated on your progress.  I hope it will help other people.
Well, what do you know?   i found out my problem is sinus and allergies!!   It's like a domino effect really.   My allergie are causing my nasal passages AND euchastian tube to swell shut not allowing for the mucous to drain, so it just keeps collecting (daily)  in my sinus cavities causing the frontal head, nose and ear pressure and the reason it happens only when I go to a standing position is because of my poor posture!   While driving, and at my desk, my head and shoulders are jutting forward so when I go to a standing position, i can really feel the sinus/head pressure because it's like I'm bending over due to my poor forward leaning posture.  Simple. Simple. Simple.  My next step is to try some yogo poses for sinus pressure and visit a chiropractor.  I hear they can do wonders for sinus pressure!  Good Luck you guys!  Please keep us posted!!
My goodness - I can't tell you how wonderful it is to find this page & know that I am not the only one!  I, too, have the pulsing pressure in my ears/head upon rising from a sitting position.  Lke some of you have mentioned, I also have thyroid and adrenal issues, as well as difficulties with my Atlas plate at he base of my neck (lots of computer time for me) so I suspect they are linked (espceially after reading some of the comments here), but as yet can not get a medical professional to help me figure it out.  Mostly I just get "oh, you just got up too fast" kind of coments.  I look forward to hearing more on this thread & hopefully all of us finding an answer!
I just reread your post & wanted to let you know that I DID have success with a chiroppractor with my occipital headaches!  When I first started experiencing the pulsing, there were also those horrible headaches.  I stopped into the chiro's office to pick up something for my husband & they overheard me talking to the receptionist.  The chiro said that I probably had neck alignment issues from too much computer work & probably sleeping on the wrong type of pillow.  I did a series of adjustments and massages at their office & sure enough, headaches were gone!!!  To be honest, it took a little while - sometimes they'd do an adjustment & I'd feel worse for a day or two... because my muscles were so tight then, the adjustments wouldn't take right.  But eventually, the pain stopped.  Now I go about every 2-3 months for a quick adjustment & it really helps.  And I say this as someone who used to be VERY skeptical about chiropractors :)  Good luck!
Thanks so much for that information!   I was also recently told that by a chiropractors office as well as when your neck is not aligned right, it can also cause chronic sinus issues, causing them not to drain properly.   who knew that sleeping on 2 thick pillows for over a year would cause all these problems!   I'm going this week for an adjustment!  Thanks again, and good luck to you too!   I'll let you know if they work.
I Think I know what it is, its not a disease or anything and it matches all my and your symptoms !

Im 13 and ive had this phenomenon for a while, but i've just ignored it, but through curiosity, i went searching to see what was actually happening. I found that it was a bit common in people who sit down for a while, which i do, usually after being on a plane, or playing Games on my laptop on the couch. And no i guess you all want to know what it is ?.
Well its postural hypotension (orthostatic hypotension(for all those doctors who didn't know about this simple occurrence)) if you wanna find out more its got everything here
>>   http://www.allhealth.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?keyword=orthostatic-hypotension   <<

When a person goes from sitting or lying to a standing position, gravity can cause blood to pool in the lower half of the body. This can lower the blood pressure. However, the body has many ways to prevent this from happening, such as the heart pumping harder. In various conditions, the body is unable to prevent abnormally low blood pressure from happening when a person stands up. This can lead to symptoms and is called postural hypotension.

Symptoms of postural hypotension occur when a person stands up. They may include:
headache
neck pain or shoulder pain
dimming, blurring, or loss of vision
dizziness
weakness
light-headedness
confusion
falling down
fainting, also called syncope (ive always felt like fainting but never have)

Its preety simple.. Well it makes sense to me, what i dont understand is why so many doctors hvent been able to give this information to the peopl who went to them with these symptoms, But hey, im not the one to judge.

So theree :), hope that helped.
Oh this is an alternative to the spine issue. i think my spine is fine.

a more detailed list of my symptoms are
Blurred Vision or Migraine Aura (blurred around the edges)
Headache
I pause, untill its over (only lasts about 10seconds)

oh and i read that if you have the Spinal Issue, the headache is usually at the back, my headache is at the front, never the backk.
I KNOW IT'S LONG WINDED, BUT PLEASE READ TO SEE IF YOU CAN HELP!
I've gone through many of your posts, and while I'm glad to see I'm not alone, I'm still extremely frustrated that my doctor hasn't been able to help me resolve this annoying issue.  I'm a 34yr. old female, mother of two, with high cholesteral but normal blood pressure.  My first bout with this happened only a few months ago, and began when I woke up with my ankles swelled like balloons!  I also had severe shortness of breath.  My doctor saw me right away, and ordered all kinds of tests, including blood tests for clots, chest xrays, and ekg.  Everything came back normal.  The swelling went away within a week, but I started having really bad burning in the sides of my calves when I walked even a short distance.  The shortness of breath didn't improve, so my dr. put me on 50 mcg daily of Advair, a corticosteroid and bronchodilator.  After 2 months it still hasn't improved, but now to add to it, I'm having horrible pressure in my head and ears when I stand; sounds are muffled, and I feel like my head is going to pop!  If I don't sit back down right away, it can last for 3-5 mins; if I sit down right away it takes maybe a minute of sitting with eyes closed and head tilted back.  I didn't normally spend a lot of time sitting at a desk or computer, but have now since the leg pains and shortness of breath.  I do also have disc degeneration in my cervical spine, as well as herniated discs in my lumbar area.  I have frequent "pins and needles" in my hands and fingers, and often can't do simple things such as washing dishes or braiding hair.  I'M TERRIFIED THAT I'M GOING TO DROP ONE OF THESE DAYS IN FRONT OF MY KIDS!  PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HAVE ANY HELPFUL ADVICE! (and putting myself down is not an option!)
I'm not a doctor by any means but your symptoms seem to be cardio related. Have you been to a cardiologist? The pulsing that I had in my head they thought had to do with blood pressure. It turned out that mine was not BP related. Your symptoms of shortness of breath, swelling, tingling and throbbing in head sounds like it could be  cardio/vascular.
I haven't been to a cardiologist because my ecg/ekg came back normal and my dr. doesn't think it's necessary.  Maybe I should push for it anyway..  there is a family history of heart disease/heart attack/stroke in my family.
My primary doctors was about ready to give up with no diagnosis until I pushed to see a neurologist. I had been sent by him to see sub specialist but after all other things were ruled out he decided to have me try diuretics which has relieved all of my symptoms. Not saying you have what I have, but just be persistant. I found what I thought I had, months before the official diagnosis, on the internet. In the mean time I had 3 head MRI's, two cardio treadmill stress tests and numerous blood tests before they figured something out.
     I TOO have this same thing. I'm a 51 year old woman with normal blood pressure and cholesterol.  Mine symptoms started right after I had the flu last October.  When I stand, my ears and head pounds to the beat of my heart and my eyes fell like they are going to explode out of my head!  I've been to an ENT and a Neurologist.  I've had a C.T. scan, EKG, and other neurological tests.  I've tried many different anitbiotics thinking this was some type of virus and topomax (topamax) thinking I might be experiencing mini seizures.  All tests have come out normal, none of the meds have helped.
     I went back to my regular doctor today, and I told him of alllllll these people online experiencing the same thing and I listed all the possible diagnosis' I read.  We're thinking possibly the P.O.T.S. diagnosis.  We're trying a low dose blood pressure medicine (beta blocker) and eliminating added salt on my food, and increasing water intake.  I'll give you an update if this helps.  Frustrated in Michigan!  
ok.  i skipped the chiro and went for a deep tissue massage instead.  i figured that would be more pleasurable! LOL  i do have a tremendous amount of tension and soreness every day in my shoulder and neck area due to sitting at a computer all day long and having poor posture, and then when i get home, the poor posture continues unwillingly out of habit.   i have been having the same symptoms a lot of you are having for almost 2 years now.  after sitting for long periods of time and then standing up, i get a feeling of tightness and warmth in my neck and shoulders, my head pulsates and i get a pressure/pain in my forehead. Sometimes my hearing is muffled too.  it lasts for only about 10 seconds and once i straighten up fully, it goes away.  during my 2 hour massage appointment, they found an enormous amount of trigger points (muscle knots) in my neck, shoulders and back!  one in my neck was deep and the size of a small egg! i have found since they worked on them, and i've been doing my daily stretches (especially before i stand up) that my symptoms have totally disappeared!  my problems were mainly in the trapezius, levator scalpulae and occipital areas, which can cause symptomss like we are experiencing when we go from a sitting to a standing position.  i'm thinking that the muscle knots are restricting blood flow to our brain when we're sitting with poor posture, and when we go to stand up, that blood is released back to our brain and this is why we feel the  symptoms.  there is also a muscle called the SCM, which is located from right behind your ear all the way down to the side and front of the neck area, and this can cause dizziness, ear and jaw pain, hearing loss as well as headaches/ head pressure  and sinus symptoms!   i'm not saying this is everyone's problem, but it might be worth checking into!  sitting at a computer all day long is the main cause of these trigger points, and from what i've read, the majority of us work at computers.  it has to be related!  a lot of doctors discount trigger points as causing problems, but let me tell you, they can cause a multitude of symptoms, and getting them released can make you feel a whole lot better!   has anyone had any similar findings?
I've done some research online and found myself on the Mayo Clinic's website.  The symptoms I have seemed to fit with something called Pulmonary Hypertension.  I'm posting the link for others to read:  

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pulmonary-hypertension/DS00430

I went to my doctor with this article and she has immediately set me up with another EKG appointment and is also sending me for a pulmonary function test.  I'll keep you posted - Please reply if you find this helps you or if you've discovered another reason for our symptoms.  
I can't beleive I found this site. A lot of you have the same sympotoms that I have been having for about three years now, I don't have the money to persue doctors, so I have just been praying that I don't drop dead from an anurism or something, lol. I find that when I get out of my car and walk into a store, that is when it happens. I feel a pressure quickly build up in my head and my hearing decreases as a pulsing sensation occures, soon I cannot hear hardly anything except the pulsing on and off at the worst point and then gradulaay letting up and hearing a little more as the pulsing drops, all happening over a few minutes time, until all is back to normal and no more pressure or pulsing. I have to stop and stand still for a few minutes as I get into a store, when the episode is over (all over several minutes) I can start my shopping. I have four kids to take care of so I hope it's not an anurism trying to happen!
Do you have bad posture (slumped over shoulders and head jutting forward) when you drive?  Do you work at a computer and have bad posture then too?  If so, you may want to visit a massage therapist and be checked for trigger points in your neck and shoulders!  I did, and my symptoms have totally subsided!  I had an egg size knotted up muscle in my levator scapula muscle ( it goes from the clavicular division of the neck all the way over to the upper back part of the head)  It is well known for causing tension and headaches, head pressure,  along with hearing problems.  I have narrowed it down to what may have caused my problem.  I joined a dance group 2 years ago, and we do a lot of difficult dance turns!  Since my problems started immediately after joining, I contribute my problem to that.  keep in mind I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU FOR 2 YEARS NOW.   Try this.  Be very conscientious of your posture for a few days...while you're driving, sitting at a computer, etc.  Do some neck and shoulder stretches (You can find these on Youtube)  A tremendous amount of headaches are caused by tight muscles in the neck, believe it or not!  Doctors dismiss the possibilty, because they want you to keep you coming back for more expensive tests!  See if these steps make a slight difference in your symptoms.  If so, you need to go to a massage therapist and have them check for trigger points!  I feel SOOOO much better since I went and had mine worked on!  Good Luck to you and to everybody out there!!
This sounds like a good step to take. During my time looking for a resolution I at one point went to Physical Therapy. They did find that my neck movement was quite restricted. After 8 sessions it did give me a lot more flexibility but no help with the head pressure. :(  My symptoms did not match all of the ones for Pseudotumor Cerebri but by trying diuretics for a few weeks the symptoms were gone. Happy to say they are still under control. :)
Thanks for your reply!  I'm so happy to hear your condition is under control!    Did the physical therapist happen to mention if you had any trigger points?   i know that when you get a knotted up muscle, it builds up toxins in it.  When the trigger points are released, so are the toxins into your system.   That is why after each trigger point therapy they tell you to drink tons of water to flush the toxins out.....hence the same thing your diuretics are doing!  Trigger points or knotted up muscles may not hurt at all.  That is what's so tricky and misleading about them, and you may be hurting in one place and some place totally different is actually causing the pain!  (called referred pain patterns)  i can actually reach up and rub the trigger point in my levator in the back of my neck (it feels like a marble)  and mimick my exact symptoms as when I stand up!!   i get instant head pressure, frontal headache and muffled hearing!  (I learned this from my massage therapist)  A lot of people have mentioned they feel dizziness with it as well.  The SCM muscle in your neck also can causes dizziness, along with our other symptoms.   It's definitely worth checking out!
     Well the beta blocker thing didn't work.  Sooooo now we're trying a small dose of Buspar anti-anxiety medicine that work like an anti-depressant.  This is because if this is indeed P.O.T.S. syndrome, this is one of the things that should help.  
     I've been taking the Buspar for a few weeks now, and the symptoms have lessened ALOT.  Not completely gone, but is definately better.  Now the head/ear/eye throbbing mostly just happens at work (But MUCH milder).  It hardly happens at home at all, except when I'm overtired.  I'm also still watching my salt intake and drinking alot of water.
Hello everyone,
I've been watching this post for a little while now...  I suffer from something very similar.  The only difference with me, is that aside from the throbbing in the head and neck when I get up & start walking, I also get it when I arch my back -- stick belly out / rotate hips backwards.  Does that make sense?  Also, sometimes when I lay on my belly.  I'm thinking it has something to do with my spine??  I'm seeing a Neurologist next week...  OH, and when I get up & start walking, I CANNOT look from side to side without making it 10x worse.  So that makes me think it's my neck..  ugh!!!  Your thoughts?  Will someone try to arch their back & see if it happens?  Or maybe try looking from side to side during an episode?  
To add, I'm a 24yo female, mother of 1, and this has been happening since I can remember.  
One more thing...

I tried to do yoga last night, and had a very hard time.  There were a lot of stretches where I had to reach backwards & try to look behind me, and I just couldn't do it...  I had a headache afterwards :/  like, an actual headache.  
Though pressure headaches are generally caused by similar factor's (ie: hypertension, low blood sugar, stimulant withdrawl (withdrawal), sleep deprivation, etc.) I would strongly advice anybody with these symptoms, especially if your experiencing coinciding symptoms to talk to your doctor to be on the safe side (ie of coinciding symptoms: mental confusion, visual disturbances, etc). My symptoms started back in 1999 when I took a 400 lb blow to the head. I woke up about a week and a half later with major memory damage, seizures, and a broken nose that I had to have 3 operations on to fix. I'm stable now, with the exception of my long term memory being pretty much gone, but if your doctor doesn't find anything internally wrong that with you I would highly suggest you look at your overall lifestyles and diets, which you should be doing anyways. On another topic the reason I suggest seeing your doctor first, especially if you have other serious symptoms is because of my uncle. Of course this is worst case, but he also had these symptoms with visual distortions, mood changes, and so on. He ignored these symptoms for some time thinking they were nothing, but headaches. In June 2009 we finally motivated him to see his doctor and the doctor found a glioblastoma multiforme brain tumor (stage iv cancerous brain tumor, which could have been targeted better if he went in when they were first developing. Unfortunately the tumors advanced to some 9+ brain tumors by early 2010 and my uncle slipped into a coma and passed away. Again this is worst case scenerio and statistically very improbable of being your situation, but the point is if your bodies doing something that concerns you don't just ignore it, get checked out. Most importantly if your not taking care of yourselves start doing so. Don't look at dieting as torture. You can still eat some junk food and stuff you like, but in moderation. As far as exercise goes you don't have to train to be an olympian or a martial artist like me, just start at your level of comfort and advance as you start becoming comfortable with the routine and try to relax some. Stress and anxiety are the major root causes of many illnesses, including your symptoms. Find an out.

Good luck to you all.

Robert of Chicago
I KNOW HOW EVERYBODY FEELS!!!!):): i a 17 year old girl,, and this started about six months ago and is getting worse and WORSE): my symptoms include:
-dizzyness, lightheadednes, blurred vision, extreme pressure in head and neck(can actually feel my pulse shaking me), upon standing and sitting up.
-these also happen when i take a bath or shower.
-when(if)i excersise.

i will admit that i dont live a healthy lifestyle by any means, i eat WAY to much sugar and drink to much coffee, and im not active. my family has a history of heart problems as well...nobody will take me to the doctor because everybody says that it is in my head and this is the FIRST TIME that ive ever felt so optimistic that there is HOPE)': i would REALLY apprichate if somebody could point me tword some diagnoses and treatments if you know ANYTHING that sounds similar to what i am going through i am VERY scared that one day my heart is just going to stop altogether and nobody will even know why..
WEll not too sure on my symtoms (symptoms) ,but some do sound familiar....what if feel sometimes is sinus, then i have headaches and not sure anymore....i have gone to massage and chirporactors and of course doctors, but it keeps coming back , starts on back of my lower back neck to my back and then i feel alot of pressure in my eyes and ears which causes me to have headaches, and i really do get scared , because i go go the doctor and they tell me it is anxiety , stress, do sit in the computer all day at work, any suggestions , please help
all i can say without goin on, its when get out of car my head is banging doc says bp has gone from 135/85 to 175 /90  when standing !! throbbin in head n ears feelin like its gonna explode, been sent for blood tests... ive jus been told full blood count come back and there not happy will let u all know soon tc ev 1 xx
Hey all,
I just wanted to share my UPDATE with you.  I saw a neurologist today.  Through a series of tests, we found out that my blood pressure is actually dropping.  She is almost 100% positive that I have Dysautonomia (autonomia dysfunction).  She wants me to do a tilt table test next week, followed by an MRI.  If I fail the tilt table test, we have our answer & I won't need the MRI (though I would feel better if they did one anyway).  They also did blood work.  She asked me if I eat a lot of salt.. my answer was no.  I like salt, but I always associated it with a bad health choice, so I never put it on anything.  I drink water like crazy & have a decent diet -- though I probably could eat a little more for a nursing mother.  So she thought I might be diluting myself.  Soooo, more salt it is & we'll see if it helps.  I hope you are all doing well!
Its good to hear that you are making progress. A lot of us have most of the same symptoms with variations. I was on the web all the time comparing symptoms, but found mine were not associated with BP dropping. I also had no headaches or dizziness. Just throbbing pressure apon rising and some blurred vision.
Amazing.... First of all I have known I am hypoglycemic, though never diagnosed, my doctors agree.

I have been having the same symptoms:

I have the pulsating hearing in rhythms -a light headed feeling (almost out of body type experience) - and my eyes get so exhausted like I've been swimming with my eyes open kind of tired -  I don't feel as if my heart is racing because I have felt my pulse while this is occurring -  and a tingling in the back of my skull.

After-wards: I feel tired, my eyes are tired and weak.  

It started a couple of months ago, at first once in awhile, now, it's happening lots, one day at work it happened 3 times right in a row, I felt I was going to faint.

I also have high cholesterol: 276-325.. and hypothyroidism.  I am going to see my doctor asap, only because it's getting more frequent.

I thought this was just me, an isolated situation, but I now know I'm not the only one.

Will check back
I have the same problem. I think it's tight neck muscles causing the coronary arteries to be cutoff in certain positions...when the muscles release the head goes from having low blood pressure to a sudden high blood pressure for a short moment, hence the whooshing/pulsing sound of blood rushing up. I'm sure the answer is to reduce stress and stretch the muscles. It is important to do this because if there are any weak vessels in the brain a stroke or ischemia could theoretically happen from the sudden momentary spike in pressure.
i thought it could be that too...  but my neuro had me stand up to recreate the symptoms, etc, while she checked my blood pressure, and my blood pressure dropped rapidly.  i'm not totally convinced i have dysautonomia.  i'm noticing my symptoms showing up at strange times...  like out of the blue when i'm laying down or driving, even.  i'll be calling my neuro today.  i've been having some sinus issues too..  they are clogged & won't unclog.  my sinuses are really tiny, apparently.
My 12 year old son has this too ... Dizziness, blurry eyes and head pressure upon standing. He blacked out once. We found that he has orthostatic hypotension which means his blood pressure drops when he sits up and again when he stands. Now we are searching for the cause. Just had a ct scan that we were told by the radiology dept ( doctor isnt in due to the weekend) that his brain is fine but there are problems with nodules and/or lymph nodes. It agonizing to wait for an explanation. Still it sounds like orthostatic hypotension may be something for you to look into. Good luck
Just an update.  As far as my symptoms, they have completely disappeared!!   I changed jobs 2 months ago, and I'm sitting in a different chair.  I guess the one I had been sitting in for the past 8 years was somehow making me slump over more and therefore causing trigger points in my neck and back which was affecting blood flow to my brain when sitting, and then when I would stand up, that blood was being released all at once, and that is why I was having the head pressure!!  I had no dizziness or blurred vision, but if you are, read up about the various neck muscles!!  They can cause both symptoms, as well as a host of other symptoms, including head, sinus, ear and jaw problems when it gets kinked or tight from repetitive injury.
Great news on your symptoms going away. Persistance pays off. I've been completely symptom free since early this year. I went to the Neurologist and he wants me to drop my Lasix script down 20mg to see what happens. I hate to tamper with a good thing and if the symptoms come back I'm going right back up on the script.
Interesting! I'm 52 and have been in good health. Over the last two weeks however, I've started suffering from flu like symptoms. Headache, back ache and so do my knuckles. Thought it was just a bug and a number of people in my location have also been telling me they are suffering from the same thing. However, over the last week I've started to suffer from some of the problems you all mention. Typically, when I stand up, I start to sense a rushing pulsating sensation in my ears (but not every time I stand up). My hearing also seems to be pulsating. Then I start getting pains in the upper area of both arms. It seems like it is at the back of the arms and across the upper back. Once this starts I can do nothing to stop the intense pain even if I sit back down. I'm also light headed/dizzy and my head starts to throb. I haven’t read about anyone having problems in their upper arms so just wanted to ask if anyone has the same symptoms.
I have this problem, and have had it for about two years.  It comes and it goes for weeks at a time.  Throbbing pain shooting to the head when standing, sometimes dizziness, sometimes the world going dark.  Now I'm stuck with it again and am looking into it.  I also have reasons to suspect a lot of the things others are mentioning.   My neck mussels seem sore and strained (was recently moving).  I also haven't been getting enough sleep, and right now lean towards that (sleep depravation) being a primary cause.  I also am experiencing signs of my blood sugar level being less controlled (taking finger tests again) but I think that's related to lack of sleep also, and my diet was crappy during the move.

My advice, which may or may not be helpful, is to watch your sleep.  Watch your blood sugar.  Watch what is happening with your neck (be careful about neck massages!).  The idea of going to a chiropractor is interesting.  I think I might try that.  I also wasn't watching what I was drinking very well for a number of weeks.  Be careful about hydration, but it seems to me that fixing the problem by drinking more hurts more in the beginning.  Still, it seems to be necessary.  And lastly, watch your electrolyte levels.  I seem to have troubles when my diet deviates.  Are you using a salt substitute with Potassium?  Consider the potassium vs. sodium ratio in your diet, as well as magnesium vs. calcium.

Of course, this is all pseudo-science.  Good luck.
Related to my last comment about salt substitute, with Potassium.  I am actually concerned that this may be a problem, rather than a help.
My doctors have been concerned that sleep apnea may be a cause of my symptoms. I had a sleep study done and found that I had mild sleep apnea. This goes with the idea that you have had sleep problems recently. Maybe you should have a sleep study done.
I saw a sleep doctor, who put a thing on me at night, and decided I was fine.  Of course I was not having this throbbing head when standing up problem at that time.
Hi, those of you who are experiencing a pressure in your head with severe headaches may be experiencing Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, aka Pseudotumor Cerebri, there are a few other names as well.

I have this condition and know what you are going through with not knowing what is wrong.

Symptoms: Severe pressure headache, change in position such as going from sitting or lying down to standing can make this worse.  Also exercising can increase the pressure.  Ringing or whooshing in ears as if you can feel your heartbeat in your ears like you are under water.  Increased size of blind spots in vision, halos in vision, pulsating vision as if your vision is jumping when you heart beats.  Fatigue, dizziness, faint feeling, and a feeling like everything in life is fuzzy.  Memory loss can also occur.

If you have a couple of these symptoms especially the pressure headache you should see a neurologist or an opthalmologist.  They will be able to see some papiledema, swelling of your optic nerve in your eye by dilating your eyes.  The neurologist will do an MRI and a spinal tap as they will need to see if your CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) is elevated.  Basically they just put a tiny tube on the end of the needle and measure to see how far the fluid goes up the tube with pressure when they first put it in.  Normal CSF opening pressure is 10-15, someone with IIH will have an opening pressure above 20 usually in the 30's or higher.  I personally have had readings of 38 (diagnosis reading), 27, 22 and 42.

It is treatable with medication, typically treated with Acetazolamide or Diamox, acetazolamide is the generic name.  Topomax (topamax) is also given and both can be given at the same time to keep the headaches at bay.

There are other things that can be done as well to help and treat this illness.

Many doctors are unaware of this illness as it is just now becoming a diagnosed condition and they are starting to reasearch and look for a cure.  So you may need to offer the name of the illness to the doctor before they look for it.

For more information you can go to http://www.ihrfoundation.org/

Good luck, and please post an update!
My symptoms have gone back into remission, at least for the time being.  I attribute the following to have helped me:

prayer
more sleep
a lot more water
adding more salad to my diet
less potassium based salt for a period.

Good luck all, and God bless.
A potential cause: Stress/anxiety? For the past two years or so on and off, the throbbing in my head and neck has been primarily while laying down in early morning upon waking up (though of course it may have been there for hours while I sleep but do not notice it). There may a factor which could conceivably affect me and may be relevant to everyone with similar symptoms: Stress. I lost my job about two years ago and have been anxious and stressed ever since. This exactly coincides with the throbbing. Had thyroid checked, was rebalanced and symtoms (symptoms) continue. I'm an otherwise fit and healthy 49-year old male. Anyone else can make a connection between their throbbing and stress/anxiety?
Cardiogenic Syncope
There is a simple reason for this. It is due to low blood pressure, and pool vascular pressure regulation. In some people, your autonomic system is slow in regulating the blood pressure throught your body when it suddenly shift from sitting to standing. Blood tends to pool in the legs rather than circulated throughout your body while sitting, kneeling, beding over. When you stand, there is a slight delay in the heart to pump this pooled blood upwards, and when it does, there is a rush and push of blood in your head and neck. It lasts a short while. There is a medical test to confirm this, which requires you to be tested in a lab with a tilt table. I passed out when the table was quickly moved from horizontal to vertical. The cure is really easy, though. Bulk up your blood volume and pressure by drinking fluids and consuming a bit extra salt into your diet. While it won't go away completely, having it happens reminds you to drink more. The name of the disorder is cardiogenic syncope. More troublesom and annoying, and certainly not dangerous. Hope this helps! questions? facebook or email ***@****
At last I have found others with my symptoms. I have visited doctors so many times never found what is causing these symptoms. I do have a dural fisula, this causes throbbing but none of the other symptoms of pressure. Anyone had any answers yet. Good reading your messages makes me not feel alone.
When I stand up my whole head starts to throb, mostly in the front and around my ears. Then I hear this loud motor running sound that fades in and out. Next my right leg goes completly numb making it very difficult to walk and then the last symptom to come is I see a bright light in my right eye with waves and suddenly I can see only half of everything. This whole thing lasts about 20 minutes and it's gone. Lately I am having these episodes alot more. Please help!
I also have the pressure in my head upon standing along with it comes a bright light mixed with waves and soon I can only see half of everything. Then my right leg goes numb so I can't walk and I get a loud motor running in my ears. This all lasts about 20 minutes than it's gone.
Hopefully you get yourself to a doctor first and foremost. At first it sounds like a migraine with throbbing and visual effects. The leg numbness makes me think its something else.
I am 19, not too active but not lazy either. Lately Ive been getting this feeling like my brain is swollen and everytime I look down, up or left to right, or when I get up, cough or yawn it is a very excruciating pain, all over my head but especially near my eyes and the back of my head. I have spent the last 4 days taking pills, on and off between coricidin for fever (because I have body aches too) and Tylenol.

I have never had this feelnig before and it really concerns me. No one I know has ever had a feeling like this.
it sounds like a bad sinus infection to me.  there are sinuses in the back of your head too.  i assume you've been to a dr. since you're taking medicine.. if it doesn't get better with the use of the meds, i would seek an ent's help.  i hope you get better soon!

I have that same thing!  Started several months ago.  Would eat dinner, get up to walk to the car and suddenly have these severe waves of pressure going through my head just for a moment or two.  I would have to stop, and the sounds of the outside world would oscillate in rhythm with the pressure waves.  But it was just a minute or two, and then I would be fine.  It seems triggered by food for some reason.

About 3 months ago, it suddenly changed into a constant 24/7 sensation of pressure, fluttering, dizziness, bearing down.  I also still have the pressure waves sometimes.  This time had pretty bad nausea and throwing up with it.  Sometimes a headache, but most of the time that isn't really a problem.

ER thought it was Benign Positional Vertigo, but it wasn't.  ENT said it wasn't anything ENT (ruled out sinus, ears, etc.)  Suggested Neurologist which is the next step.  He thought Migraine or Cluster Headache, but it isn't.  My other Dr. agreed.

I thought it was severe sinus pressure, but apparently not.  I don't think it's anything too serious, but have no idea and the constant pressure/movement in my upper head is driving me nuts.  I also got a severe gastro virus from an ER visit, so that has of course contributed to dizziness, headache and nausea.  Can be hard to tell them apart currently.

Just waiting to try to get over the virus some more before seeing Neurologist, and he will probably want an MRI but fortunately they have open ones now in this area.

It's so weird to find a posting that is exactly what I have been going through-I wonder if it's somehow related to blood pressure?  It almost feels like the arteries are constricted, or something is happening with blood pressure but mine is always normal to low.  I did eat some chicken broth with a high amount of sodium last night, which was a mistake as my head really started throbbing and feeling pressure.  I think it was the sodium.

Before all this started with the pressure waves, and then constant condition I was perfectly fine with just some minor sinus problems.  Even the pressure waves were just a couple minutes, once a day.  Have no idea what has happened to make it constant now.  It isn't really vertigo, more of pressure, fluttering, movement in head.
I am glad to have found this site because i really thought i was the only one that felt all these symptoms. When i step out of  my car i get dizzy the back of my neck throbs, my hearing goes muffled it sounds like WOW WOW ..  I feel like i am going to faint. It is a terrible feeling. And it is only when i step out of my car it does not happen when i am driving. I have told my dr. and what she told me is that my blood pressure  rises when i drive. I am taking medication for my blood pressure but these symptoms i still get. Does any one really know the right diagnosis as to  why this occurs?  
There are many possiblities for your symptoms. There are also many suggestions for the reasons for these symptoms in this thread. You need to muddle your way through the suggestions and then work with your doctors. Any pressure in the head you should probably have a head MRI to make sure there are no tumors or irregular blood vessels. Have your blood pressure monitored seated and then standing. Have a neurologist do a spinal tap to see if it is raised spinal fluid pressure. Suggest trying diuretics to see if it relieves the symptoms, Diuretics have been known to relieve spinal fluid buildup in the head. Ive been doing 60mg a day and its like a miracle.  
I had my blood pressure and glucose tested today and i couldn't believe the reading to my blood pressure it read 199/119 that really scared me and they checked it again and it read 200/119 it went up because i got nervous they told me to start taking my diuretics so i did as soon as i got in 25mg hoping that i will start feeling better. My kidneys have been throbbing and it travels up my back. I am hoping that this pill will also be a miracle for me as it has been for you. My glucose reading was GREAT!!
hi i am a 23yr old female i have been having headaches/migraines since about the age of 8 and my doctor has always said they are for different reasons ... stress, smoking, the food i eat. Iknow it cant be these things i didnt smoke when i was 8 n why would i be stressed? i currently eat healthy and im still getting bad heads so it cant be my foods and yes i do stress at times but even on a day where im at my happiest i all of a sudden get a migraine. I also get the pressure all around my head especially when i first wake and walk i have to stop for a few seconds. i can go light headed, really tired, i stutter when my head starts to hurt i have loads of symptoms. My doctor has never sent me for scans/tests he has just prescribed migraine tablets which obviously are not working!!! i dont like going to my doctor has he makes think im crazy and he does not listen so i do not know what to do next. Is it just migraines and im acting over the top or am i right to think i should at least be tested to rule anything else out? thanks.    
and may i just add i can be happiest girl in the world but then when my head strikes and the feeling after i am depressed, angry and an horrible person. its asif i dont make myself that why its just who i turn into. I am hoping that some1 else gets this as this really does make me sound crazy. cheerz.
I have the same thing. When i stand up me head throbs so bad it almost hurts and i have to stop for a second. I went and had a massage and it felt heaps better. i need to go again because im starting to get it again
I too have this- for about a year now. I have fibromyalgia so am fairly certain that is causing yet another dysfunction in my body!! When I stand after sitting for about 45 minutes- like others after a car ride or sitting at my desk- when I stand my head feels like it will explode and I hear whoosh whoosh whoosh. It's not everyday....I am going to try and see the timing with menstrual cycles as I recently connected headaches as menstrual migraines.  I saw dr. yesterday and am having an echocardiagram and possible tilt table test- but after reading all this I think it is likely these tests could be normal :)  It seems to definitly be something in the autonomic nervous system dysfunctioning- which fibromyalgia causes. I also take Cymbalta and Lyrica so not sire if one of those could be triggering this.  
I have this too . . . for about 8 years.  It started shortly after I started taking high blood pressure medication.  (I've had borderline high bp since age 15.)  I saw an ENT and he told me "you do not have a brain tumor" in an Arnold Schwartenager voice.  

For me, it's always after getting up from sitting for a while (30 minutes to an hour or more), most often in the morning, but never after first getting up, and after drinking liquids.  Since I drink coffee in the morning, it makes sense, but I can drink a glass of water, sit for an hour, and when I get up it happens.  Over the course of eight years, it's gotten better an worse but never completely disappeared.  I worry that it's something serious but I've had it for 8 years . . .
Hey WhatNow,
Have no fear.  This is not in your head.  Most likely, you have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome).  The Postural part just means that it happened when you change positions.  The Orthostatic part means the same thing except it more specifically means standing/being upright.  The Tachycardia means that your heart beats fast (usually over 100 beats per minute) and Syndrome means that it's a collection of certain symptoms.
The good news is that it has a name and that it has nothing to do with you being anxious or anything like that.  The bad news is that they don't often know what causes it and that each person may have it for a different reason.  It has been linked to hormones, hypermobility (being double-jointed), and even viruses (especially mono).  Many teen girls (such as yourself) get it after they have had a growth spurt and also after they have had a bad illness such as mono or some other virus or flu.  It is more common in women than in men (about 5:1 ratio).  And, most women report that it tends to be worse before or during their period.  
The other good news is that, most likely, it will go away over time, unless you are hypermobile or something like that as some people are just built in a way that they are stuck with warding off POTS for the rest of their life.  I fit into this category.  But, like you, I developed my first symptoms when I was in my teens.  And, you're right, hot showers can make it worse.  In fact, anytime you get overheated it makes it worse.  So, don't be afraid to unzip your coat or take off your gloves on winter days if you feel yourself getting too warm.  I take baths so that I don't have to stand up and that helps me not get dizzy (although, standing up out of the bath is still a problem, unless I use colder water).  
In order to get diagnosed, you would have to have a tilt table test.  This is a test where they take your blood pressure and heart rate while you lie down and then they tilt you up to 70 degrees and monitor your heart rate and blood pressure in that position.  If your heart rate increases 30 beats per minute in that position then you are diagnosed with POTS.  
They don't quite understand it at the moment, but basically what happens with POTS is that when you stand, blood tends to pool in your legs because your vessels are too loose.  I think Mayo Clinic reports that this is from the nerves that are responsible for making your blood vessels constrict when you stand getting "off."  Your heart recognizes that there is a problem and that not enough blood is getting to your head and upper body so it begins to beat faster to compensate.  So, this is why you feel like your heart might pound out of your chest.
Some things you can do to help?  Eat lots of salt!  So, pickles, TV dinners, soups.  Start checking the sodium content on your food.  Or, start drinking Gatorade throughout the day.  The other thing is that you want to make sure to drink lots of water.  By eating lots of salt you encourage your body to collect more water.  What you want to do is raise the fluids in your body so that you have more blood to go around.  You can dehydrate a lot faster than someone else.  So, don't drink too much caffeine or alcohol or other things that could dehydrate you.
The other thing that seems to help with POTS is exercise, especially cardio and also strength training for your legs.  The cardio keeps your cardiovascular system strong and increases your heart's ability to pump more blood.  Plus, something about the exercise helps to reset and retrain the nerves that are responsible for constricting your vessels.  So, usually, the more you do, the better you'll feel eventually.  Don't get discouraged if you feel bad at first because exercise might trigger some of your symptoms.  The strength training in your legs increases your muscle mass there which can help to squeeze blood back up to your head, believe it or not.  Sometimes increasing your abdominal muscles can help, too.
I'd say that the most important thing is to simply keep moving.  Some people do become pretty wiped out by this (myself included) and end up bedridden but it usually gets better with time once you're diagnosed and know how to manage it.  Just keep moving and know that it takes time.  So, better days are ahead. :)  Even just a 2 minute walk every day can help.
Also, in most all cases, a person's heart is usually fine, even though they have POTS.  I come from a family that has a lot of heart problems, too, but I have had soooo many ECG's and stuff like that that have revealed that my heart is fine.  So, you may just ask to have an ECG or to see a cardiologist just to be sure.  Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about your heart.  It can usually withstand a lot and if you keep moving things should get better.
Show your family this post and also this study (see below) so that they know it's not all in your head and then tell them they'd better listen to you and be nice to you because I said so. :)
http://jap.physiology.org/content/102/3/896.full
This thing is starting to bug me have the same symtoms (symptoms) as everybody had
this for years my neck bothers me just wondering if its spine related. Has anyone found a answer to this.?

Please read the hundred or so posts before posting here. There are already some answers. People are posting without obviously reading what everyone has posted before them. This thread should probably be closed.
Hello--

There is a common factor in the majority of our posts.  Standing/walking-pressure in back of lower head--ears--pulsating--hearing hampered--slight dizziness--some anxiety-- mild nausea.  Here is my two-cents.

I started have this since using the computer alot back in 2005.  The symptoms range from intense, to mild, to none.  Most of the time it is not immediate--it happens sometimes 30 second or more AFTER I stand and have been walking.  I've gotten out of the car and have it happen almost immediately.  I have narrowed this down to inflammation and a neurological occurrence.  STRESS is a major factor.  

Also--do any of you have acid reflux, esophagitis, stomach inflammation, colon problems?  Nearly ALL symptoms experienced can stem from inflammation in ANY or a combination of these areas of the body.  Upon standing, organs of the body begin to extend and stretch.  If there is inflammation in the gastroesophageal, or colon, your body's nervous system automatically begins to react to compensate/aid for the discomfort, thus blood begins to rush to the areas and AWAY from other areas such as the head--plus the natural flow of blood to body parts compressed from sitting.  

This creates extra BODY STRESS.  Your body just begins to PANIC somewhat and the symptoms fire off like mad!  I was diagnosed with both gastritis, and esophageal, inflammation. The nerves to those areas pass through the neck, to spine, around the ears.  My sinus even begin to swell up nose stuffs up!  Nerves trigger the brain to react, then more nerves the send signals BACK to the areas--muscules tighten, blood restricts flowing--more symptoms explode!

Especially, the esophagus when inflamed from a hiatal hernia can cause, panic/anxiety up through the throat and neck areas and muscules flex, ears pulsate, head feels like a pressure bomb!  

What I have done--Get natural supplements to heal the stomach, esophagus, colon areas.  Carrot juice, pear juice, cabbage juice chorophyll, all B vitamins (stress vitamins) magnesium.  I do not like the use of them but acid inhibitors (short term use until healed only!) shields like slippery elm bark, aloe vera juice, even "Carafate" to shield from acids--again short term use.  Once these areas begin to heal you will get relief from many symptoms. STRESS is you biggest enemy. As a Christian I always pray and confess any ill-will to the Lord.  This WILL be a deciding factor for continued success with the suppliments to better your health.  GET HAPPY AGAIN!!

Peace,

Carrierwave~

I have read through most of the posts, and ended up going to the hospital shortly after. I had the same exact symptoms as many of you described, had severe pounding headaches after standing up, and sometimes feeling a bit fuzzy. I also got short of breath when doing anything that required extra effort. It eventually got bad enough that I went to the hospital, and i'm glad I did. This may not relate to some of you, but here is what they've found so far:

My blood count was very low, and I was severely anemic. A normal blood count for me would be 12-13, and I was at a 7. The pounding headaches were due to a lack of blood, causing my heart and body to work overtime to try to pump the little blood it had. My exact condition has been diagnosed as Hemolytic Anemia. The cause of mine seems to be an autoimmune illness. Basically my immune system is attacking and killing off my red blood cells. There are several causes and conditions, and it can be extremely serious and life threatening if not treated. Again, this may not apply to everyone, and I don't mean to scare anyone, but it may be worth looking in to. The easiest way for them to tell is by taking a blood sample and looking at your blood level. Hope this can help someone.
omg..i ant believe there are more ppl experiencing the same thing as me. Doctors don't knw wat it is. But after I sit for awhile, espec. In a car, then I stand up an walk the pressure builds up in my head intensely an the throbbing pulsating sound of blood in my ears kinda muffles my hearing an sometimes my eyesight gets black but comes back right away. It only lasts about 1-2 mins an then in gone like nothing even happened. I've had this for about 2 years. It's awful an I wish I knew what it was.
It could be Intercranial hypertension. I would make sure you get checked out for high blood pressure and any possible head abnormalities. Get an MRI of the head. Also get your heart checked. Get a good Neurologist.
This happens to my daughter too. Sometimes, her head will hurt and her neck, whenever she stands up, even if she is sitting down for three minutes. She says she feels like she is going to throw up or pass out whenever this happens. She never does, (throw up, faint) she says it hurts a lot, and she grimaces. Please help.
I suffer from these pains as well, I have always had neck and back problems, and have been to chiroprators and physical therapy, i always have to have my back cracked to feel relief. I sit at a computer all day for work. I just slept on the floor, and the problems are back : ( i believe it is just something caused by a pinched nerve or something out of place in my neck, with the severe throbbing pain in my head, i also have it in my neck as well. So it just sounds like if i don't sleep in the right spot, i am just going to have to live with this pain or see a chiroprator daily!
Glad to find this forum.  I, too, experience occasional episodes.  Today I drove approx 15 minutes to the grocery.  As soon as I entered the store, my head began to feel full, pressure, and ears also felt full, with pulsing muffled sound.  Lasted only a half minute or so, then resolved completely.  No pain, but I do feel that I might faint if it persisted longer.  I have experience this for a number of years.  No real pattern of when it will happen, but does usually occur after riding in the car.  Also, cannot lie on stomach and raise my head without the same sensation.  That has been occuring for at least 20 years.  It may happen once or twice a month.  I have never sought medical help for it, as it always resolves quickly, and I have had it many years.  I guess I should tell my MD about it.  Anyway, is good to know I am not alone with my symptoms!
Viewing 1-200 comments: