Neurology Community
Thrombosis of the arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thrombosis of the arm

Several weeks ago I had an IV placed in my left hand for dehydration and a couple days later I noticed my vein was very swollen and hard so I went to the doctor and he stated I had thrombosis of the arm and I should take 3 800mg ibuprofen three times a day until it disappears.  I was only able to use the ibuprofen for a couple days because it caused too much pain to my stomach.  I went back in and saw a different doctor and she said it seems as if it disappeared on it's own, but my hand still hurt and it was still swollen.  Today there is a marble size lump on my wrist and it hurts severely and the vein has a hard lump again.  I do plan on going into the doctor tomorrow and seeing my regular doctor because it is causing too many problems with my hand and arm.  Is there any suggestions to help take care of this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to thrombophlebitis, which is inflammation of the vein. Check to see if the swelling is due to an abscess, in which case you may need antibiotics to tackle the infection. If there is fever, pain or redness this is more so. Please contact your concerned physician at the earliest. In the meantime, you can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain. This is unlikely to cause gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.