Neurology Community
Thumb tremor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thumb tremor

I have problems with the thumb on my left hand.  It twitches -not all the time - only when I am holding something.  For example if I am holding the phone in my left hand and trying to write a number down with my right hand, my thumb starts twitching and will make the phone move back and forth.  I am a flute player and this symptom is interferring with my performance - especially if I am anxious-nervous, etc.    When I am holding my flute and playing if my thumb starts twitching, obviously it make my whole instrument move - any ideas/experience with this issue out there?  I have stopped drinking caffeine - that seems to help somewhat, but it is still a problem.
I have that, and I am a flute player too. Sometimes I think the flute is the devils own instrument for repetitive strain injuries.

I also saw someone post about a similar tremor in the archive, this tremor seems different from my random twitches and is only associated with holding things in particular positions. I would like to know what causes it too, sometimes all the fingers in my hand will tremor, but while I am playing the flute they do not, only to increase in severity when I stop.

I am supposed to have carpal tunnel syndrome in my hand and it would seem to be the median nerve that controls the thumb. I don't know whether tremor is ever part of nerve compression or whether weakness and numbness are more usual.

My appointment with the neuro is still a month away so I am unlikely to find out till then any official reason for this particular annoying tremor.
Interesting that you are experiencing the same symptoms - and are also a flutist.  My symptoms have seemed to increase the last couple of years and that coincides with an increase in my playing the flute.  That is not good news to me.  I have also done some searching regarding carpal tunnel syndrome to see if there is any correlation - however, I do not have any of the other symptoms (numbness, pain, etc.)  I would be interested to know how your appointment with the doctor goes - and any recommendations the doctor may have.  I used to think my whole hand was shaking, but have just figured out that it's just my thumb!  
It is holding the flute up with the elbows bent that is the biggest strain for me, as that involves the Ulnar nerves being stretched and I have an Ulnar nerve problem too, which affects the other fingers. I have had one arm operated on and I don't think it has been a complete success, I am putting off the other arm until I have seen the neuro again. I believe I have some neck involvement too, and with this whole twitching thing it is my tongue I am most worried about in case it is a sign of ALS which would mean my  flute playing days won't last much longer at all.

I suspect any weakness in the face would soon impact on the ability to play a flute as I would have difficulty in making the embouchure, and tonguing. Mercifully although my tongue quivers that seems to have no effect on my playing. I do however  feel the strain in my shoulders and neck of holding the flute steady.

One thing is for sure anxiety has an effect on my embouchure, if I am not sufficiently relaxed, I just lose it, as for me it is not easy to begin with, with my uneven dentistry over the years.
I have a similar problem when only playing the flute and as a professional it is making my life a misery'
Have seen a neurologist with no problems pathologically.
I have a pinched nerve emanating from the neck resulting I think in hand and arm tremors. This is pure hell and am at a loss as no therapy I have tried helps at all. The tremors can sometimes be accompanied by pain in the arm and shoulder.
Anybody advise?