Neurology Community
Thumb twitching, spasms, loss of strength, electric sensations...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My thumb started twitching 7 months ago and I have had a wide range of symptoms since then.  I am very interested to know if anyone else has had any of these experiences.

I lost the strength in first one arm and hand, then after two months the other arm and hand.  I couldn't even lift a light book without being in pain.  My whole body has muscles spasms and my hand feel like they are tingling when I lie down to sleep.  My hands feel as though I have electrical shocks through the palm and fingers and my thumb is numb at the tip.  

Does anyone have anything similar to these symptoms?  Any ideas?  I have had an MRI and they found two small lesions (or arachnoids cysts) they call them, but I have not yet been diagnosed. Can anyone offer advice? Thank you
I have a similar problem for over 2 years...started with cold / tired hands...then thumb twitch..then twitch and spasm..then hand pain...finger pain..arm pain..(dull bone pain, sharp pain, muscle pain...you name it )..spasms..tingling..burning.."vibrations" going through arms to the fingers...weird sensations..pain and burning spread all over the body...to the legs and feet...2 years of disability. getting better but still have symptoms..

still not diagnosed properly..

what helped: cymbalta for pain and depression....stretching and swimming! (swimming is a must)...i started swimming without cymbalta and gave up because of the pain and other symptoms...get something that works for you for the pain and muscle spasms..forget about the other symptoms..you have to beat it.

Learn to listen to your body but don't expect your symptoms!

My diagnoses from different doctors: dystonia, cubital tunnel syndrome (from 2nd emg), fibermialgia, rsd.........list goes on....and you shouldn't care for the name...fight it, treat it, I would definetely recommend swimming...start out slowly and don't give up.

You can email me if you'd like: ***@****
You know I also have a cyst on my t-4,t-5. Wondering if this is the cause of my problems. They said it was Gilliam-Baree (chronic condition). But the spinal taps came back negative. They just throw names out to see if it sticks. I have had all these symptoms, that has gotten so bad. I couldnt move any of my muscles, only blink my eyes. lost 50 lbs in three months, due to the atrophy of the muscles. Even had to be on a resporator, and feeding tube. They gave me plasma, three times a week, then progressed to 40 mg of prednisone twice a day. They have worked it down to 10 mg every other day.
I have had this for 5 years. I have realized, the weakness comes back every once in a while. To where I can only bench 10 lb bumbells. And have hard time standing and walking. They increase my prednisone. till I get more stregnth and decrease it when feel better.
The best advice I can give you is to be patient. Its something that will be with you, and adjust to. Dont rush the reahb too fast or itll back fire. ITs not the muscles thats the problem, but the myosheath part of the nerve not sending out the messages to the muscles to move. At least in my case.
I know this post is a little late, but let me ask who is conducting the tests.  Is it a neurologist or GP.  If it's a GP, go see a neurologist, as they're better qualified to test these sort of things.

I'm no expert, and was actually searching the net to see if my thumb twitching (I actually watched it jump back and forth for three minutes the other day without me telling it to) was something to worry about.  While searching the net, I found out that what you're describing might be ALS (as printed on the cover of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, though, "Don't Panic").  For more information on ALS, see http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/53/main.html.

HOWEVER, it could also very well be something more benign like something caused by a repetitive stress injury.  When one hand became too handicapped from it, the other may have taken over and also suffered from the stress injury.

Since it's been a couple of years, though, I'm curious to know if you ever received your diagnosis, or if you even still have any symptoms.

Regards,

thatoneguy