Neurology Community
Tight heel cords

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tight heel cords

This discussion is related to tight heel cords.....referred to neurologist.

My son age 9 have been suffering from tight heel cords for about 4 years, this has been the first year that is has really crippled him, at times they are so tight he can not walk.  Walking for more then 1 hr., they tighten up and he down sometimes for days, missing school.  After several casting and physical therapy we are now looking at surgery on both feet.  My question is, has anyone gone through this surgery, when they lengthen the tendon and then add bone to the outer part of the foot to keep it from rolling. (he also has FLAT FEET).  Looking for what’s best for my child.
Avatar n tn
you might want to look into something more- an  underlying cause for why this is happening. Usually, the heel cord will relax the more you walk, so there may be something else going on.

Also, ************.com is an EXCELLANT resource for this type of problem. There is a board for Foot problems, and many people have posted their experiences with flat feet, tight heel cords, surgeries, physical therapy. I have hypermobile feet and have developed a flat foot deformity in both my feet (due to tight heel cords). This has happened over the last two years, and I've been told that the tight heel cords were the main reason for the problem. The doctor said I may need this type of surgery (calcaneal osteotomy) where they cut your heel bone and shift it over.  (I am a 27 year old woman)
There is information about this all over the ************ website. Please check it out. Best to you, Jessica