Neurology Community
Tightness at the base of the head and neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been experiencing a very tight feeling where the head and the neck meet. I don't feel pressure at the front of the head. I don't feel nauseous, but it makes me feel lightheaded when I move my head upward. I'm kind of scared, because I leave for college in a week and the headache has been constant for eight days. Before this headache, I also experienced the tension at this place various other times, this time it just seems worse. The muscles in my neck also feel extremely tight. I have tried a hot and cold wrap, a prescription (fioricet), and massaging my neck with no relief.
I also have generalized anxiety, but could it really cause a tension headache that persists that long?? Could it be something more serious??
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your symptoms of tightness at the base of the skull are those of a tension headache . It is mostly caused by emotional stress . As you have generalized anxiety , it could be a cause of the headache . Tension headaches are persistent and last for a long time . Please keep yourself stress free , have adequate sleep at night , exercise daily (cycling , walking ,  swimming , stretching )  and eat a well balanced diet rich in multivitamins and multiminerals . Please consult a physician if the symptoms persist . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !