Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling, Numbness, head pain loss of feeling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I really appreciate being able to read this forum and see that I am not alone. A year ago I started with severe cramping/tingling in my arms and legs (unable to walk at times).  Many different things have shown up over the last year from sight problems to numbness.
NOW: Severe cramping in legs, hands, arms.  Sharp pains in head especially around eyes, ears and temples. Feeling of being swollen.
Cannot stand to be cold, fingers get purple and throb.
Problems breathing (feel like someone is standing on my chest)
Difficutly swallowing.
I had a feeling that something was wrapping/travelling around my head.  This leaves numb areas.  I am numb around my eyes, forehead and through my jaw (if feels like when you are really cold and you cannot move your mouth).
Severe muscle pain in back, arms and legs.  The muscles get really hard to the touch.  Retaining a lot of fluid and gaining weight.  When I run my fingers down my arms and legs the muscles feel lumpy (maybe like a sausage with lumps in it).
I get the feeling of being overwhealmed and confused alot.  I will be in a grocery store and not be able to stand up, and get confused as to what I am there for. Frequent incontinence.
Testing to date:
MRI last spring-normal
Cervical spine-Feb02-normal
Evoke Potential-normal
EMG-3times normal
Blood tests: lupus (DNA string? thing this is right?)
ESR, ANA, Lyme serology, HIV, CA, MAG, Serum Lead, Mercury, Amylase, Protein, RF, plus all of the 'regular' stuff. Read about a rare neuromus. disease treated by antibiotics, but cant find now.

Looks like ALS or MS to me?  HELP PLS
Doesn't look like ALS or MS as all of your extensive testing has been normal to date. However, 10% patients with MS do have a normal MRI although your symptoms do not sound like a typical case. One consideration is a mitochodrial disorder which can be diagnosed with muscle biopsy. Unlike many muscles disorders, this can present with a normal EMG. Other blood tests that look at muscle disorders include CK and aldolase, as well as thyroid testing. Talk to your docs about possibly getting a muscle biopsy for further evaluation.

The incontinence is also concerning. Make sure someone addresses this problem. EEG may also be helpful in making sure you're not having seizures when you become confused. Finally , consider going to a major academic or clinical center for a second opinion and a fresh look. GOod luck.
If you find your answer ploease e-mail me. I have many of the same symptoms. Thanks.....***@****
I'm no Dr. but my sister has MS and all your symptoms sound ominously like hers. You may get a lot of Drs who tell you you don't have it. Don't give up. Call the MS society in your area and get the names of Dr.s in your area who really know about MS instead of some flunky who never treats MS victims and therefore wouldn't know it if it bit him in the ***. Good luck and bright blessings.
That is exactly what I have been thinking......all of the signs are there. I also have a friend with MS and he had much the same.  It is just a matter of convincing the doctors.  Unfortunately there are only 2 neuros in my area and getting referrals outside the area is next to impossible.

Thank you.  T
I hope the Dr.'s can properly diagnose you.  I too, have had some problems, not as bad as yours, but I have been diagnosed with optical neuritis, which sometimes is an indicator of future MS.  Do you have any vision problems?  If so, ask your Dr. about testing for this.  And by any chance...are you originally from SD with a brother named Stacy? Let me know...
I am from Ontario and have no brothers.  I have another appointment with the specialist on the 19th so I will ask him about this.

Hi Terry-Sue,

I am also from Ontario.  i have very similar symtoms (symptoms) as you.  Please e-mail me at ***@****

Diana
Some of your later symptoms sound like a reaction I got from ibuprophin. (Motrin, Advil, etc.) Perhaps the swelling is caused from an allergy to meds you are taking for your pain. Your first symptoms and later ones may not necessarily be related. Hope you  will soon find the answers you are looking for!

I have similar neuro symptoms myself:
Symptoms have been present since March of this year -
1. tingling in legs and feet
2. wake-up numbness in my hands
3. muscle twitches
4. rapid floater racing across my eye
4. chronic yeast infections ( within the last 3 months - I've had 5 - seems one after the other)

I've been to my GP and had blood work (Dr. said that she will run tests to check for the "common" things that cause tingling.) -
all came back normal (sugar, b-12, thyroid, anemia, etc.)
I was told to monitor my symptoms and call for an appointment in 2 months. I'll call back in the middle of July. Waiting will be tough!

I have an Aunt with MS and a few family members with Diabetes. Diabetes I can handle, MS I cannot.

Please let me know how you are making out and if you found any additional information.

Thank You and God Bless,
Lisa
***@****
Please email me with any information.  

I have been experiencing some of the feelings posted here. I have experienced a tingling sensation/headache on the top of my head and towards the back of my head. Together with that I am having tingling sensations in my arm and feet. I went to the doctor twice and he prescribed "Zyrtec" because he seems to believe this is all allergy related.
I haven't had loss of feeling but I do not want to wait until I get there to understand what is going on. Currently done of the sysmptoms keeping me from doing "stuff" bbut many around me say it's all in my head.
Anyone with any further insight please E-mail me at ***@****.
I have been having increasing problems which makes me wonder whats going on with me.  These are some of them:

Numbness and tingling in arms and hands.
Pain on left side of head behind ear that spreads all the way up to the top of my head and feels cold and touch sensitive.  Neck pain.
Swelling of ankles, legs, hands, abdomen and entire body.
Dry/wet cough
Heaviness in chest
Muscle/joint pain
Lots of neck pain
Sleep disorder- Limb movement
I have already been diagnosed with CFS,FMS,RA, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Had MRI two years ago.  What else should be done and does this sound like it could be MS?
Thank you for your help.
I posted on Sept 13th but forgot to mention that I also have a lump on the back of my head on the occipital lobe.

Please answer soon, am concerned about MS or tumor.
A related discussion, MS I am sure I have had this for years was started.
A related discussion, Pain in head numbness hands feet was started.
A related discussion, Sharp pains and tingling was started.