Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling, tenderness in middle of back

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling, tenderness in middle of back

Three weeks ago I began feeling tingling sensations in the middle of my back. They are very consistent and occur daily, though they seem to go away in certain sitting positions.

I am a writer and work on a laptop and iPhone. I am staring into a computer for as many as 12 hours or more a day. My neck is usually bent down staring into the computer.

This condition arose out of nowhere but has never gone away. Other symptoms:

--Stiff neck and a knot on one side with some pain toward the end of my day.
-- Some tenderness above the spot that tingles.
-- Tingling when bending  over to tie shoes or pick up something from the floor.

Again, there's not a lot of pain at all. But the tingling sensation is pretty much with me throughout the day,
unless I find a posture in my chair that makes it disappear.

Is this a pinched nerve? A herniated disc?
Do you think it's related to my computer work?

Thanks,

Mark
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Local back pain, as you are describing, is usually a result of irritation of or damage to structures of the spine (e.g., periosteum, ligament, dura, and joints). The pain is usually exacerbated by activities that cause these structures to have increased pressure load (e.g., prolonged sitting or walking up steps). Prolonged irritation of these joints can cause muscle spasm described as a diffuse, burning pain or tingling. Based on what you have written, I would not think you have a nerve impingement.

X-rays of the back may show chronic degenerative changes of the bones. An MRI of the thoracic spine, is usually not indicated if no neurological deficits, but it may be helpful to evaluate for more unusual causes of local back pain such as an epidural tumor or syrinx.

Treatment of these types of pains includes NSAIDs and physical therapy. If no improvement with these, a pain specialist may opt to do a procedure called facet joint block.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.