Neurology Community
Tingling/Numbness in face and arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling/Numbness in face and arm

For about 2 months I have had numbness/tingling of the left side of my face, arm, and hand. I will also get pressure on the left back side of my head and my left eye will be hazy.

When this started two months ago, it started as headaches at the base of my head on the left side. Then portions of my face (always on the left side) went numb. I visited the ER and by the time I left, my arm, eye socket, most of my face and hand were numb.

Since then I have not had headaches, however I will get severe pressure on the back left side of my head and my left eye will be hazy. I still experience the numbness and tingling in my face, arm, and hand (usually just the palm and outsides of my fingers). These symptoms come and go and could last a few moments or a few hours.  It also has gone to my leg and foot. This has only happened a few times.

I have had 2 MRI's (both normal) and I am waiting for the results of an MRA. They doctors have ruled out MS, stroke, bells palsey.
I should also mention I discovered in the process of this that I am defiecient in vitamins b12 and d and have hypothyroidism. I am begun taking supplements and thyroid med. and my thyroid numbers are now normal and my b12 # are in the normal range as well.

Does anyone have any ideas or ever expierenced something similar? I am going crazy with the answers of I don't know and lets try this test.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. I understand how it must be for you with these neurological symptoms and signs and no answers.  I would like to emphasis that if MS has been excluded just on the basis of MRI scan it would be worthwhile to investigate it in detail since your clinical presentation is suggestive of the disorder. Multiple sclerosis is a chronic demyelinating syndrome where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. You have many of these symptoms. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Take care.