Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling/Pain in Upper Thigh

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling/Pain in Upper Thigh

Several years ago I began experiencing a slight tingling and numbness in my right upper (front) thigh, distal to the centerline of my leg, from the knee up.  I only really felt this when I lay down to sleep (on my back, w/ lumbar support).  I switched to a softer mattress and it went away -- until last summer when I started teaching classes several (4-6) hours a day.  This 4-6 hours on my feet everyday seems to have aggravated the condition. Now it tingles and feels cold often, whether I am sitting, standing, or lying down.  As I walk a mile or two or teach for several hours, the cold tingling turns to a burning pain accompanied by sensations similar to a pulled muscle.  There is no muscle weakness, but the illio-psoas sometimes feels tight, as walking with large strides becomes difficult (FYI:  I pulled that illio-psoas several times in the '80s doing Kung Fu).  I am female, in my early 30's and 30 lbs overweight, but walk daily and have no other unhealthy vices.  Much of my work is contract, which limits my health care, so extensives tests are probably way out.  I can't really avoid the standing every day either. Any advice or suggestions?

_
This sound like  "meralgia parasthetica" which is caused by irritation of the
lateral cutanouus nerve of the thigh as it exits fron the abdominal cavity
underneath the inguinal ligament in the groin to supply sensation to the
front of the thigh.
The nerve cam be compressed due to weight gain, unusual exercise , or
pregnancy but often there is no obvious reason.
The condition can be treated by surgically releasing pressure on the nerve
or avoiding precipitating factors if they have been identified.
I would suggest that you consult a neurologist in order to confirm by
examination that this is in fact the diagnosis, and then definitive
therapy can be undertaken depending on his / her conclusions

A related discussion, numb upper thigh with burning/tingling sensations was started.