Neurology Community
Tingling and Muscle Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling and Muscle Pain

I am a 54 year old female that has been in generally good health and physically active.  About 2 years ago I started having tingling in my legs.  I then started having some muscle twitching and pain in legs and arms.  Feels like muscle pain after overexercising.  I went to my regular doctor and he referred me to neurologist.  Had 3 MRI's in 1 1/2 years and they are normal.  My regular doctor put me on amitriptyline.  Seemed to help the depression that occured and helps me sleep at night. My regular doctor has diagnosed fibromyalgia although I don't have tender points. During past 2 years, symptoms come and go.  Last few months the symptoms have gotten somewhat worse.  Tingling all the time with upper arm pain.  I also have major ringing in ears. I continue to exercise every day.  The pain actually subsides when I am active. It's becoming very frustrating and depressing, and I don't know what to do anymore.Any ideas?
Hi there.  Could it be anxiety?  I read a list of symptoms and both tingling and muscle aches are symptoms of anxiety.  And the ringing in the ears could also be a symptom of anxiety.  

Here's the website I'm referring to:

http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/anxiety/symptoms/

You can ask your doctor for an anti-anxiety medication, or try relaxation techniques.  Good luck.
Thanks,  I've had others mention anxiety.  I'll try anything to make this uncomfortable feeling go away.  
i have some similar symptoms. muscle pain and ringing in ears and don't have any tender spots. I've been diagnosed with CFIDS which is similar to fibromyalgia.  The symptoms you describe are listed as indicators for fibromyalgia. Not sure about you but I find it a very difficult diagnosis to accept and there still seems to be so much stigma attached to it. A possible reason why your pain is relieved by exercise is because you are releasing endorphines which help stop pain.  Have you been increasing your exercise   to get instant relief from pain during the last few months while your symptoms have got worse? it could be that you are doing too much too soon.  i'm in the uk and we are advised to very gradually increase our exercise levels, even pull back when we are feeling worse, but try to some exercise everyday.  not sure if it helps. there is a great website  http://www.afme.org.uk/, which may help.  its called action for ME, as we call CFIDS, ME in the Uk.

take care
I have terrible muscle pain in upper and lower arms, sore spots in muscles, sore finger and wrist joints with tingling and twitches in arms and legs, also ear ringing. Any idea on what you had?
George
Did you ever find out what was going on with you?
Hey Guy's. I was dianosed with anxiety 4 months ago.

These where my symtoms (symptoms)...

Headaches
Saw eyes ( due to fatigue )
Heart pulpitations
Chest Pains
Burning sensation in my back
Tingling in my arms, hands and feet,
Dizzyness
Tierdness
Lack of concentration

I didnt know what to do anymore as the symtoms (symptoms) were really getting me down.
I felt so low.. and sometimes i couldnt even get out of bed. it hurt me to move.

I went to my doctor and i'm now on Citolapram 10mg daily. ( an anti depressant which is used to treat anxiety )

If you are having symtoms (symptoms) similar to mine.. PLEASE go to your doctor!
Anxiety is NOT serious... but it is'nt a nice thing and does cause LOADS of pain if left untreated.

Most AD's have side affects but this is VERY RARE. i have headaches with Citolapram, but id rather that than all the symtoms (symptoms) of anxiety. they take atleast 4 - 6 weeks to work and they can make your anxeity symtoms (symptoms) worsen for a while. but its worth it.

Just keep telling yourself its just anxiety and it cant hurt you. its nothing serious!
and you willl be fine...

ask your doctor about anxeity ;)
trust me its not a nice thing and i wouldnt wish it on anyone!!!!!!!!!

i hope you feel well soon

xx
A coworker started having similar issues and it turned out to be an overdose of one of the B vitamins.  Once they got that under control, many of her problems resolved but not all.