Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling and Pain in Arms and hands

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling and Pain in Arms and hands

About 2 weeks ago I began feeling a dull ache in my armpits, followed by bouts of what feels like my hands/arms falling asleep when I go to bed.  Sometimes the pain/tingling is so great it wakes me up or I have difficulty sleeping.  The sensation of "falling asleep" has diminished some, but my hands still tingle and arms ache even during the day.  The pain is worse when I'm sleeping than during the day though and is greater in my right arm than my left.  I have no neck pain, back pain, or any other injury, no flu or cold-like symptoms, nothing except the hand/arm pain and tingling.  What could be wrong?
Hard to give an accurate answer as I have not personally examined you or taken a complete history. Could represent a number of things such as a peripheral nerve process (meaning a problem with the nerves that come out from the spine to the limbs). Either something genetic if anyone in your family has similar problems or acquired. This can be evaluated in three weeks from onset of symptoms by EMG testing. Also, a spinal cord problem is a possiblity. Get a formal neurological exam to make sure everything is ok and then consider an MRI of the cervical spine and EMG as needed. Good luck,.
are your hands cold while feeling this pain?  This sounds a lot like what i'm suffering from but i only have it in my right arm and hand.
This is weird, but I started experiencing the same tingling and numbness in my arms from my biceps down to my hands, and on the top of my left foot last night and today. My hands and foot felt cold to me as well. Later today, my lips felt cold and numb. What's going on??
My problem is sort of similar. For the last five days I have had achy muscles and sometimes joints. My nephew had fifth disease/slapped cheeks syndrome about two weeks ago and I spent a bit of time with him while we weren't aware he was contagious. Most of the aches have gone but my right arm is still somewhat affected. It feels achy and I get a sometimes shooting pain down the nerves which I can sometimes feel in my fingertip. I can even feel the shooting pain in my legs/knees/toes on different occasions. I am so scared that this could be MS or Lupus. I have never experienced anything like this before. I am a 28 yr old from Australia and I am a anxious/stressy person. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated????? Please help. Am i imagining this or could I have a serious disease :o(
I have a similar problem, check out these symptoms!!!

My body cannot regulate temperature nor adrenaline. The result is tremendous pain marked by needle like sensations that cover my entire body. The intensity is likened to a foot falling asleep only the pain feels like sharp pins pricking my skin. When it "hits" me, it gets me all over and is very, very painful. I have had this illness since 1988 October. No doctor has been able to identify or explain it. Cold temperatures do not effect, only warmth and adenaline. I am also very sensitive to electric shock/stimlus. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Do you have any direction for me. This illness is very limiting. I used to have no body fat because I excercised regularly, now I am overweight because I am unable to excercise due to the pain the comes from the instant my body warms up. Thank you

Doug Koehler
hi everyone, I too had fifths disease and it has caused me to have  nerve damage with numbness and muscle weakness  even a yr later.  AEmail me if you ever want to talk    Good luck.
I am interested in hearing about your fifth disease symptoms. As per my previous post I am not sure if I have it but I was in close contact with my nephew and that was about 4 weeks ago. Ever since I have had sharp nervey pains in different parts of my body at different times. First it will be in my right leg, then my left toe, then right upper arm, left finger...it is very widespread! Any advice?

Thank you very much,

Lisa
Your symptoms sound almost identical to the ones I've been experiencing for the past year.  Like you I had tingling in my hands and feet while sleeping for about 9 months, now it's progessed to pain which seems worse at the end of a day.  A b12 deficiency can cause this sort of problem. It's known as an old folk's problem, but a deficiency can happen in anyone.  I was diagnosed as having it when I was 41.  Since then my symptoms have worsened and now my doctors are concerned that I've been underdiagnosed.  They now suspect my symptoms are caused by lyme disease.  At this point I feel so lousy I'm willing to go along with anything.  One thing I've learned is that many neurolgical problems look the same and can take a long time to diagnose.      

Good luck.

julie here get this i suffer from migrains very bad but with these migrain i get a number of things and one of those things being a nasty tingerling in my hands and feet just befor or during a migrain. if any one eles suffers from this please let me know and how it effect you and what do u do about it.
A related discussion, Pain in Arms and Legs was started.
A related discussion, Pain in the hands and arms was started.