Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling and dilated pupil. MS, herniated disk or anxiety?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I began having slightly blurred vision in my right eye about a month ago.  Several days later, I noticed a tightness (felt like my veins were stiff) in my right arm and leg.  It was off and on.  Occurred after kickboxing so I thought it could be pinched nerve.  I also had a warm sensation and ringing in my right ear on several occassions.  Had a slight headache on right side of head.  Have felt like there is a lump in my throat.  Saw neurologist who ordered CT and CTA of brain and MRI and MRA of brain which were normal.  Continued having symptoms but now it is mainly numbness that occurs off and on in my right arm/hand and right leg and toes on both feet.  I have also noticed slight numbness on right side of face and tongue.  Neuro also ordered MRI of cervical and lumbar-sacral spine which revealed a herniated disk in my neck (I believe C5-C6)I have noticed that the pupil in my right eye is slightly dilated.  Could this be MS?  My neuro said he does not think it is however I am very worried.  Could these symptoms be the result of the herniated disk or anxiety or both?  I am a worrier and have been worrying a lot.  Would both MRIs be normal (except disk) if it was MS?
Your neurologists seems to have done the right thing to exclude a vascular (ie aneurysm) or tumor/mass related cause to your symptoms.

A normal MRI scan makes MS much less likely, especially over time, and if symptoms have occurred in the past. Without more definite evidence of MS attacks (such as confirmed MS eye involvement) or abnormal testing such as evoked potentials of the eye or spinal cord, MRI or spinal fluid, you do not meet any criteria for a diangosis of MS at this point.

Pupillary changes can be caused by neck problems as the nerves controlling pupil dilation pass through this area.

An evoked potential study of the right arm and leg, visual evoked potential studies (more sensitive sometimes than MRI to detect an abnormailty in the nerves tracts), +/- an EMG of the right arm (woudl tell if the disc herniation is causin gnerve problems) would give further evidence of an abnormality if present. They are relatively simple electrical tests performed at most neurology practices.

Good luck
This is an addition to my question.  I have been having pain behind my right eye that appears slightly dilated.  The neurologist did note during my exam that it was dilated however I think it was reacting normally.  He said that it was from a migraine (I have a history) however I had not had an actual migraine is several months.  It has been approximately a month and it still looks and feels the same.  I also have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse.  I know that this and migraines can be related to magnesium deficiency.  Is is possible that the other symptoms are related to that.  Knowing that I have a herniated disk does explain some of the symptoms but what about my eye?
My husband has been suffering with severe migraines daily for the last four years.  He has a migraine everyday with no relief.  He has seen three neurologists who all performed MRI's/MRA's, EEG, EKG, blood tests.  All tests come back normal.  He has even seen an eye specialist and everything checked out fine. He has been diagnosed with cluster headeaches and daily clinical headaches.

The migraine never lets up and is always in his right eye and his head.

He has been on every new migraine medicine on the market including self-injecting imitrex and DHE. He has even been hospitalized for infusion therapy and has had landocaine injections in his head and   in the nerves on his neck.  Still no relief for him.

We are at our wits end and do not know what else to do.  No one has been able to help him.  We are thinking about seeing a chiropractor soon and even find a doctor who specializes in holistic medicine.

If anyone, has any suggestions, thoughts, etc., please post them.

Thank you.
Kris8,

Did you ever find the cause of your problems.  My wife has been having the exact same symptoms for the past 4 days.
A related discussion, facts was started.