Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling and headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling and headache

: : Can you tell me what is possibly happening to me?  My problems started with  tingling at the very top of my head on and off.  Next I noticed a tension like headache and neck and shoulder stiffness and pain.  Then my right food felt like it was asleep (tingling) and my right thumb felt week.  Since, I have had tension like headaches, tingling in head, neck pain, neck stiffness, tingling, burning, buzzing in legs, feet, hips, arms and fingers. This has been over a period of 2.5 months.  MRI of neck and head came out normal. Have not seen nuerologist, Hve seen primary care MD and have been going to chiropractor for neck and he says my vetebrae in neck are almost touching and I have bone spur starting to grow.  Can this cause all of these problems? Im scared and frustrated. What could this be? Im 26 years old. Thank you.
  : Im am having more symptoms now.  This week, I have been having muscle twitching all over, but mostly in legs and arms.
=
Sorry about the late response. We are working our way through the posts finding ones we've missed. I hope this helps anyway.
Your headaches fit the pattern of muscle tension headaches. The symptoms don't exactly match those of vascular headache (migraine or variant). My experience is that many patients with headache worry about brain tumor or aneurysm, so I'll anticipate that quesstion: the pattern and character of the symptoms don't match that of a brain tumor. An aneurysm doesn't give headaches for 3 months - it gives just one, and you're in the ER right away.
Many times patients will experience numbness as part of the headache, particularly with the more severe ones.
Structural problems in the neck are a well-described source for muscle tension headaches: so-called cervicogenic headaches. I am confused about the conflicting reports from the cervical MRI (normal) and the chiropractor who implied degenerative changes in the cervical spine. If the MRI is normal, then you don't have anything damaging your spinal cord, which is always a relief.
Comment: most people with headaches have normal MRI scans. That, of course, doesn't mean you don't have a headache. What it does mean is that there are certain things that it is not, and your level of worry can be reduced (I hope).
Given no damage to neurologic structures, the main task is control of your symptoms. My favorite class of headache preventative medications is the tricyclics - imipramine and nortriptyline in particular, but there are others. I have had people who formerly guzzled Advil or aspirin with the resulting chronic analgesic-dependent daily headache. Many were able to make the switch and do very well. These are not addicting drugs.
Ask your doctor about this approach. These drugs are not without their side effects, so they should be prescribed by someone with experience using them.
If you desire, you may set up an appointment in the headache clinic here at CCF: call 800 223-2273 and ask for neurology appointments at 4-5559.
Once again, sorry this is late. As you know, this information is provided foryour medical education only. Specific comments about diagnosis, treatment options, and prognosis must come from your doctor after appropriate evaluation. CCF MD mdf.