Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling and numbness in thighs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling and numbness in thighs

I woke up this morning afta sleeping on my back all night, to a numbness and tingling in my outer thigh and front thigh area, the tingling and numbness starts from the top of my thigh to just before the knee. This has never happened to me before and i  thouhgt it was just asleep, but the numbness and tingling hasn't went away. I have started a new form of excersising which is Zumba, and have been doing it  for about a month now. The tingling is in the leg I use to drive with, which is the right leg, as I am sitting here now, the tingling and numbness seems to not want to subside. My leg feels heavy and I am trying not to go into panic mode, but this has never happened. Can you help?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There is a condition called meralgia paresthetica which is a sensory disturbance located on the lateral aspect of the leg. The sensation is usually worsened with prolonged positions. The nerve that supplies this region courses through muscle and between tight ligamentous areas. These make it susceptible for compression. Treatment includes neurontin and lyrica. Other options may lincde a neurectomy (surgical procedure).

I recommend that you be seen by your PCP. He/she may wish to refer you to a neurologist. Additionally, you may need to take it easy from Zumba.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.