Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling in fingers and toes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling in fingers and toes

For about 2 weeks now I have had some strange symptoms.  It first started out as tingling in my left pinky and ring fingers. That seems to have subsided.  I now have random tingling sensation in both hands.  I can bring on the sensation by a hard shrugging of my shoulders.  I have recently experienced similar feeling in my toes.  Also, I occasionally have tingling in my left shin that can be brought on by banging my heel to the ground.  Another strange symptom is that when I extend my fingers I feel a slight twitching sensation, this is relieved by flexing my fingers.  I have felt no pain and the tingling is merely annoying.  I work at computers all day and do have some minor back discomfort.  Any ideas as to what might cause these symptoms.

Thank you,

Jay Connelly
Without a complete neurological examination, an accurate diagnosis is impossible.  However, generalized "tingling" can mean a lot of things.  When associated with hyperventilation, it can represent symptoms of an anxiety attack.  If there is an ascending pattern to the tingling followed by limb weakness, it can be the beginning symptoms of an autoimmune disease against your peripheral nerves called Guillain Barre syndrome. If there is pain or weakness anatomically corresponding to a specific region of tingling (determined by a physician) then it could be a back problem a nerve problem such as carpal tunnel syndrome if localized to your fingertips and wrist. Again, for an accurate diagnosis, your clinical problem needs to be confirmed by a physical exam. If the symptoms bother you or continue to progress, see your physician.
About two years ago I started having similar symptoms.  The anxiety of worrying about it I think made it worse.  After two MRI's (I also have twitching, numbness, a foot that never stops twitching, etc.) they still say nothing is wrong.  I've had several doctors tell me to quit focusing on my health (twitches and all) & just enjoy everyday.  It sounds to me just like a body change you're having & bet there's no major problems. In fact the more I explore into the neurolgy of the body the more I find out most symptoms are nothing to worry about. What causes them seems to be anybody's guess.
Thanks JimK for your comments.  It is nice to hear from someone else who has experienced these symptoms.  I think your right.  My symptoms are all I tend to think about during the day.  And it does make it worse.  When I keep my mind off it for short periods of time, it tends to be better.  

Thanks again for your comments.h
Conny,
I have also have these tingling and pricking sensation for the past two Months except that in a more wide area of my body. My face, arms legs and even upper torso are affected. I went to see a neurologist who has ordered a sleep deprived EEG test and a nerve conduction test.
Don't know what it is but suspect some sort of nerve affliction rather than stress or fucusing on illnesses.
Rick
I have similar symptoms that started in toes and legs and progressed after a few months to my ring and little fingers. After many investigations the conlusion was that I have a sensory neuropathy of unknown cause.  Althoug it is very distracting and uncomforable my neurologist assures   me that it should not be progressive nor debilitating.  He recommended maintaining my normal activity, and encouraged me to do yoga and relaxation therapy to help minimise the symptoms.  I would encourage you to make sure that your Drs check you out very thoroughly because a divers range of conditions can be the cause.. good luck
i have had, for slightly more than a month, constant numbness in left ring finger and pinky, along with weakness of all fingers in left hand.  hard to hold down the strings of a guitar, pinky is not strong enough to push a computer key.  i have seen a chiropractor who x rayed my neck and it turns out i have no curve in it, even have reverse curve for c5 and c6 bones which have some serious spurring.  no injury to speak of to be causing these symptoms tho many life changes are pehaps causing a great deal of stress...read with interest the b12 deficiency symptoms, which is something chiro-guy also suggested... have done some traction with a pulley/water bag system but it doesn't seem to be doing much. any and all advice/reflection appreciated.
forgot to add that initially i had muscle twitching in forearm and hand extensor muscles, tho this hasn't happened much the last two weeks.
I am experiencing very similar symptoms. over the last year i've had continual tingling sensations all over my body. mainly in my leggs, but it has no preference to location. there is also occassional itching along with it. lately it seems to have gotten worse, when i walk i can really feel it where my shoes rub my feet. I've read alot about it in the past few days and it seems i may have a B12 deficiency. I got some multi vitamins and B12, then I made a doctor's appointment for thursday... I post back what I find out.
have had "numbness" in toes past few weeks, now i notice a similar lack of feeling in finger tips. am taking a new med: amiodarone(sic), also recently (past week) had a cardioversion to try and correct my 'afib' and convert me back into sinus rhythm... any ideas?
I have experienced numbness between my left big toe and the next toe for some time now.  Today I noticed a tingling almost numbness in my right thumb.  Also, my palms and bottoms of my feet have been itching for three days now.  Can you let me know if these are symptons of anythin in particular that I might need to check out?

Thank you,

M. McSpadden

I was woke up last night by tingling and numbness in my left pinky and ring finger it feels like they were asleep if you slept funny I am also experiencing pain in my elbow an down my left arm and some on top of my hand I am not left handed. My pinky finger is numb also were my palm and pinky finger is also numb. I am 41 and in great health any idea what this is? Thanks, Edie
my mother is on chemo for nhl and since she started 4 weeks ago
she has had 4-5 episodes of intense tingling,numbness in the
entire body with a feeling of her body being encased in cement.
she says the vibration is so intense in her body that she can hear it in her head.  she gets an electrical shock sensation as
well.  her gait is unstable if she trys to walk and she speech
is off.  not slurred but does not sound like herself.  she says
when is happens she has the feeling that she is being pushed down
by a weight.  chemo can cause some neuropathy in the hands and
feet but not in the entire body.  the oncologist said it is
anxiety and hyperventilation but i can not observe any of this
when this comes on.  her prescribed xanax and it does not help/
i finally put her in a tub of warm water and ran water over her
for about 20minutes and she finally was able to walk and the sym
ptoms finally sudsided enough for her to sleep.  she is 77 yrs
old and is anemic from the chemo.  her calcium is very low secondary to the chemo as well.  i have given her some b12 to see
if this helps and a calcium supplement.  her labs are pretty
good for her age and the fact that she has non hodgkins lymphoma
and is undergoing chemo.  she has very little side effects from
the chemo,none that she says she can't handle except for this
problem that i stated above.  it is frightening to see someone
you love go through this and not know what to do to help. i
forgot to mention that she gets contracture in her hands as well
when it gets at its worse.  i do not know if her nervous system
is being compromized by the chemo or if this is truly anxiety.
i have thought of a neuropathy, b12 deficiency, dyfunction in the
sympathetic nervous system and any other label i can find and i
am at a loss.  these episodes can last 3 hours or more in varying
degrees.  she has had a pet scan for staging from head to thighs
and she is clear of any other pathology than the lymphoma of the
neck and base of tongue.  she just had her peg tube removed today
as she has been able to eat since the first chemo tx and feels
better with the tube removed.  she thought the tube was causing
this but i told her it was doubtful.
thanks for any help.  happy holidays   caregiver
Hello.  I have recently had numbness in my left pinky finger and it is beginning to spread down the side of my hand.  Bascially it is annoying, but still I suppose I should take care of it.  I didnt think that it was enough to go see a doctor about.  I thought that maybe it would go away- like most things do, but since it is now traveling down the side of my hand  I am not sure what to do.  Does anyone know what it could be?  Also I have had pain in my back, and I feel basically weak and nauseous.  Thankyou.  And comments would help.
A related discussion, tingling/numbness was started.
A related discussion, pricking feeling on fingertips was started.