Neurology Community
Tingling pain and burning in my ankles and feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello my name is Craig and I have just recently in the past week begun to have severe tingling and pain when bending over on the inside of my ankles to the bottoms of my feet. I was on vacation this past week in Jamaica when my right ankle swelled signifigantly by the second day my left foot swelled up as well. My feet looked liked sausages and it was painful to walk. After returning home 5 days ago the sewlling has gone away but there is now this horrible pain in my ankles that feels like something is going to snap inside when I bend over. Please help me I dont know what this may be or how to help it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. These symptoms are suggestive of tarsal tunnel syndrome, which is a compression neuropathy where the tibial nerve is compressed within tarsal tunnel. Symptoms usually are numbness in the foot radiating to the toes, pain, burning, tingling. Ankle pain is also present in high levels of entrapment. With increased pressure on the nerves, blood flow decreases, fluid collects on standing and walking causing swelling feet. Diagnosis would include evaluation by neurologist and an orthopedician, later by a podiatrist. MRI foot, ultrasound to check for synovitis, Nerve conduction studies all aid in the confirming the diagnosis. Treatment includes rest, manipulation, corticosteroid and anesthetic injections, Medications like neurontin, lyrica, lidocaine patches may help. Surgery is the definitive treatment if these conservative measures fail. Hope this helps. Take care.