Neurology Community
Tingling/weakness legs - possible MS?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling/weakness legs - possible MS?

I'm a 25 y/o male who has been experiencing the following symptoms for about 1 month:

Tingling in my legs (both) that comes and goes.  I also have consistent weakness in my legs (both); it's hard to stand for long periods.  My hands are also weak (both) but only at certain times.  I also get dizzy when I stand up; this also only occurs at certain times.  I have no balance issues or bladder issues.  I don't have any vision problems, but my eyes feel as though I only get 2 hours of sleep per night (even though I get 8).  Also, my lower back hurts a bit (not too much pain).  I went to see a neuro, and he ordered an EMG, which came up negative.  Do these sound like MS symptoms or possibly b12 deficiency symptoms?  I know MS can be hard to diagnose.  
hey Quix,
Thanks for the reply.  The only symptoms that come and go is the hand weakness and leg tingling (both legs).  They may last for 20 min to an hour and then go away and come back intermitelly.  I constantly have weakness in my legs.  Also a new symptoms is that my entire body aches.  I can walk far; it just hurts (the other day I did a 5 mile walk).  Stairs are fine also, but my legs are definately weak.  I only saw the neuro once; I wasn't really experiencing all of these symptoms back then.  I see him again next week.  When I stand up I feel lightheaded, not a head rush.

Any suggestions - I'm def going to suggest a MRI when I see the doc next

thanks
How long do your symptoms last?  You say they come and go.

Do you have trouble walking?  How far can you walk?  How about stairs.  Did the neuro document the weakness?

When you stand up, is the dizziness like a "head rush"  like light headedness?

Quix
hey Quix,
Thanks for the reply. The only symptoms that come and go is the hand weakness and leg tingling (both legs). They may last for 20 min to an hour and then go away and come back intermitelly. I constantly have weakness in my legs. Also a new symptoms is that my entire body aches. I can walk far; it just hurts (the other day I did a 5 mile walk). Stairs are fine also, but my legs are definately weak. I only saw the neuro once; I wasn't really experiencing all of these symptoms back then. I see him again next week. When I stand up I feel lightheaded, not a head rush.

thanks
This sounds identical to what I have been experiencing. I am waiting to get tests but I kno wthey can take weeks for results and am incredibly curious as to what this could be for me as I'm only 21 with no history of anything neither does my family have any history of illness including muslce weakness as a symptom. Did you figure out the problem? Anyone have any idea of what this sounds like??
I know kjb's post is over a yr old, and hope that you have since gotten the answers you were seeking. Would love to hear from you if that be the case. If you haven't gotten those answers, I would like to suggest to you as well as Worriedsick, to insist not only on an MRI, but also a Nerve Conduction Study(NCS)/Electromyography(EMG).

After 12+yrs of complaining of pretty much the same symptoms (as well as many others associated symptoms), many MRI's, neurological exams, etc., it was the NCS/EMG that found my nerve damage. I have yet to receive a diagnoses as to what is causing the damage, but I have not given up either.

There could be many things causing these problems. And the only way to find out for sure is testing. It can (and probably will be) a very stressful road in getting the proper, correct diagnoses.

Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions, Good luck in your search.
God Bless,
Cindy
Thanks a lot. I realize there may be one chance the poster still checks this site out but I am so curious. I'm going to see my Doctor shortly. I will keep you posted. I can't stop thinking about the worst. I keep thinking it's cancer somewhere and it's somehow affecting my muscles...even though I don't have the usual fever and weightloss associated with most cancers. Although I do feel I sweat more easily...that oculd just be because my muscles tire easier though. I'm going crazy, I barely have time to book all these apts. and my family and bf aren't taking me seriously because i don't look like im debilitated and they feel it's just me starting my new job...even though I feel like this for most of the day even when I'm not moving and it's lasted for 2 months...it's so strange. I know my body and I know something is off, thanks for the advice I won't stop until they find out exactly why I'm feeling like this. For me it doesn't seem to be affecting my nerves...more my muscles. They aren't as strong and get tired more easily. If I squeeze my calf every now and again I can feel the ache perfectly, the exact same feeling I would get if I worked out lots...but I don't. I always feel I need to flex my leg muscles and twist my wrists and ankles...I don't understand it all...Thanks for the info.  What have you found to be common causes of nerve damage if no accident is involved? Do you know from going to doctor's and hearing their info, what they would suspect most in my case, being so young?... I'm so fearful I hope you get the answers you're looking for. All the best.
Don't beat yourself up over this. It can be very hard emotionally when searching for answers. The stress itself of worrying could be just as determental as the problems themselves.
One thing that could be causing your problems is Diabetes. Recent studies suggest more and more people have it, yet don't even know it. That was one of the things a Neurologist suggested I be tested for, for my Neuropathy. I was tested, and was negative for it, thank God. But until it is ruled out, you never know.

I also understand the frustrations of getting family members to believe us when we have "invisible" disabilities. But don't let that stand in your way of getting a diagnoses. Just stay positive and Proactive when it comes to chasing a diagnoses. It has taken me over 12 yrs to finally confirm there is nerve damage. No one believed me, including the doctors.

One test that can be done to find Neuropathy, is a Nerve Conduction Study and EMG. If you have health insurance, insist on getting one done also. Get tested for Diabetes, type 2, if that turns up nothing, get the NCS/EMG and go from there.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Cindy