Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling wrist...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling wrist...

Hi, you`ve answered lots of my previous posts below, & I really appreciate it. I haven`t had much luck gettin` in to see doctors. I started having neurological problems after having my daughter vaginally w/ an epidural 6 1/2 months ago. The symptoms seem to come and go, and I haven`t been diagnosed w/ anything yet. My last brain MRI was in Oct. & was normal. C-spine MRI in Dec. was normal My NCT in Dec. was normal. But these symptoms are still lingering. The most recent symptom I have, is with my wrist. When I brush the underside of my right wrist against something, it tingles. If I rub it, it also tingles. The last neurologist I seen said my NCT was normal that he did on me. I have no previous history of carpal tunnel either. Where would this most likely be coming from in my body, or what would most likely cause such symptoms? It`s driving me nuts! My blood pressure recently shot up to 154/100 going up and down. I`m on BP medicine now, and it`s stabalized. Not sure if it`s related to any of this. I also have had a headache that comes and goes around my right eye. I`m on Atenolol now (25mg), and it seems to help the headache. But this wrist tingling will not go away. Thanks for your time. :)
Wrist tingling with no involvement of the fingers or hand doesn't sound like typical symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. However, sometimes more specialized nerve conductions studies need to be performed in order to increase the chances of picking up carpal tunnel syndrome such as palmar studies or lumbricals (your neurologist should know what these are.) But if these were done and it was still normal, then it's unlikely to be carpal tunnel (although a very small percentage, about 3%, of patients with CTS do have a normal NCS.  The normal brain MRI is also helpful in ruling out diseases such as MS which can present with vague neurological symptoms in young women.  Hard to say what this could represent as I have never examined you personally or reviewed your diagnostic studies. Arthritis, connective tissue disease/autoimmune problems are all possibilities.  One other test to consider is an evoked potential study of the median nerve to see if there is a problem in the pathway from the nerve in the wrist along the arm, spinal cord and then to the brain.  Otherwise, if everything is normal and it is not significantly affecting your life then you may just want to observe it for a while and see if it changes or just goes away.  If it gets worse and involves more of your arm or other limbs, consider going back to your neurologist for another look.  Atenolol is probably not the cause of tingling in the wrist. See previous post about neurological changes in the setting of elevated BP. Good luck.
By the way, all of these symptoms started after the MRIs. So should I have them repeated?
Hi doctor, I had another question... I had my MRI`s (brain, c-spine) done 4 mos. ago right after I began having MS like symptoms. Will MS usually show up on the MRI early? Say right after a young woman first begins to exhibit MS type symptoms. Where I have had MS type symptoms, I`m scared mine didn`t show up because I was tested to early... I go for another opinion Mon. Thanks.
I have tingeling in my hands and feet and it has been diagnosed as peripheral axial sensory motor neuropathy.  You might want check that out with your neurologist next time you go.
Thanks for the advice. When did your problems start? Do you ever twitch all over or have any other problems?