Neurology Community
Toddler Seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Toddler Seizures

I have a 20-month old toddler who has been having seizures since the first time he's had a high fever (he was around 13month old). Since then, every somewhat elevated temperature will result in a seizure. We have been to the emergency a few times and were always told that he is in fact experiencing febrile seizures which are of no concern. The seizures never last longer than a few minutes, at most. One ER doctor did however order an EEG since on one occasion he's had multiple seizures (10 short seizures in 2 hours). The EEG showed "activity" on one side of the brain (right temple). I was given no other information and was told that a neurologist will contact me in a few weeks. How can I possibly wait that long to get someone to explain what's happening with my child?  I am at my wits end. What could this be?? Is it normal to have "activity" or perhaps this is a sign of something. Please help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The seizures occuring during fever for your child are most probably  Febrile seizures because they  are not observed in the absence of fever .Such seizures are known as  Nonepileptic seizures and they  are aggravated or caused by a disorder or condition that irritates the brain. In children  fever can trigger a nonepileptic seizure. Before an age of  2 yrs. high fevers or temporary metabolic abnormalities, such as abnormal blood levels of sugar (glucose), calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, or sodium, can trigger seizures. Seizures do not occur once the fever or abnormality resolves.  If the EEG was done during  a seizure it would show an increased electrical activity in brain . You can wait till the neurologist consultation. There is nothing to worry if the seizures do not occur in absence of fever . Please take care that the body temperature  does not rise much during illness . Give antipyretic syrups at regular intervals and give cold sponging to the child  during fever whether he has seizures or not to prevent the occurance . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !
Thanks for the reply. The EEG was not done during the seizure, but when he was healthy and asleep. Why would the EEG scan show "activity" if no seizure was present at the time?
I am looking for information on impulse control and possible very small seizures that I am not aware of.  My psychiatrist has been interested in the  idea that I am pehaps having small seizures which are affecting my impulse control.  I did have a lot of febrile seizures as an infant and was given phenobarbitol.  I had physical tics as a child and have been struggling with them a bit more the past 10 years or so as well.  Depression and anxiety are what led me to seek treatment.

Thank!
OOps.  So sorry.  I posted the above in the wrong place.  Ignore it. :-)