NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Toddler complains of pain in back of head
by LINDSEYSMAMA, May 31, 2008
A couple of months ago my 34 month old was just sitting at the table coloring and she started crying out, as though she pinched a finger of such.  When I asked her what happened, she just kept crying.  So I asked "where does it hurt?"  her reply was "my scratch"  when I asked "where", she rubbed the lower back of her head.  It was a couple of weeks before it happened again, but since then the freequency increased.  Every time it happens its the same.  She is fine, playing or whatever, cries out in pain, reaches her right hand to the back of her head and says "my scratch".  After a few minutes, she is fine and goes back to playing.  We took her to a diagnostic clinic at Pittsburgh Childrens Hospital.  The neurologist examed her and found no problems.  She prescribed Periactin to try to see if she was just having headaches.  We also had an MRI last week, results were normal.  The Periactin seemed to lessen the fequency, but why would a child so young be having these types of headaches ?  She went for 2 1/2 wks without an episode, but out of the blue last week she came running to me crying and rubbing the back of her head.  I tried to kind of trick her after the MRI and I told her that her "scratch" was all better now.  She said "No, it's still there but it doesnt hurt right now".  Its frustrating because she is fine before the episodes and within 2-5 minutes after.  
Member Comments (30)
by PaulMD, Jun 02, 2008
Hi there.

Symptoms coming from a child can be really perplexing, however, it is also very hard to discount the possibility that there can be indeed something wrong.  The negative MRI scans and the normal neurologic exam by the neurologist are all comforting and I believe that this may really be episodes of headaches.  Another possibility is muscle strain due to her usual activities such as playing.  Whatever the case, It is still best to have her checked by her doctor every now and then, and report to the doctor any changes in symptoms or any new symptoms.  

I hope that's the last occurrence, and that you and her neurologists can get to the bottom of this soon.  Regards and God bless.
by rmudundi, Jul 02, 2008
Dear Lindsaymama,

My daughter is 3 years old and we noticed that exact same symptoms (back of the head pain) of your 34 month old as you mentioned in your post. It is causing us some concern We showed her to the Ped  who checked her and found no problems.
It happened 2 days in a row now in the evenings.. the pain is sudden and it goes away in 30 secs..very strange.

Have their been any improvement with your kid? Just curious.
Any information will be appreciated.

Mudundi Family.
by sunnydee022, Dec 27, 2008
My daughter who is almost three recently started having the same thing happen to her.  I noticed that it seems to occur more when she's tired or hungry.  But most of the time she's fine.  Like your daughter it's very sudden and seems to stop as soon as it began.  Have you had any additional tests or information since your post?

Concerned Mommy
by jodessa, Feb 20, 2009
Hi there. My daughter, 2.5 years old, has been having this exact same pain now for at least 9 months. It comes and goes. I had thought there might be an association with sinuses since it often seems to coincide with a stuffy nose. It is really scary though. We have not had any tests done. My daughter also has swollen lymph-nodes in her neck which have been swollen since she was around 1 or so.

The pain is JUST as you described it. A sudden horrible pain which causes her to grab at the back of her head and cry for 1 or 2 minutes then it is gone.
by princess_alteah, Mar 06, 2010
any of the mom's here found out what was happening to our kids?  my 3 year old has just started with the same thing and it is scaring me a lot. did anyone get any answers.  please if you read this, can you let me know.  please!
by shah_dad, May 08, 2010
this also happened like 15 minutes back to my 34 months toddler for the very first time, He complained about pain in the lower back of the head and he cried out loud dropping whatever he was playing with. 30 seconds later his pain went away and he has been fine since then. The symptons described by the rest of the folks are very similar.

Lindseysmama - if you have found anything more please post back more info. thanks.

concerned dad
by shah_dad, May 08, 2010

concerned dad
by momoftwins9, Oct 12, 2010
My toddler has the same thing.  It doesn't seem to stop him from doing anything but he always grabs the back of his head and says "my head hurts" especially if he lays on his back.  before he could communicate that it hurt he used to say "bee's in there" and grab at the back of his head and it looked like he was swiping it away.  We are going for testing soon cuz our dr. refferred us to a neuroligist.  
Really hope we can get an answer cuz it makes us very nervous.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Dr San MiguelBlank, Oct 13, 2010
Hi. In majority of cases, headaches in children are often not serious. They can also develop migraines, chronic daily headaches or stress-related (tension) headaches like adults, although their symptoms may be different. In some cases, headaches in children can best managed by loving care, over-the-counter pain medications and other lifestyle and home measures. However, if headaches worsen, occurs at least once a month and feature persistent vomiting and vision changes, it might be best that you bring your child to her doctor for re-assessment. Hope this helps.