Neurology Community
Tongue numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tongue numbness

I had a tooth removed 2 weeks ago and still have a numb tongue. I have a metal taste all the time, some pain daily and  a burnt feeling on half my tongue. I don't really enjoy food since I cant really taste it. Will this go away like the dentist said or do I need to see a neurologist?
Could be two things:  You may have an infection in there that is raging and you need antibiotics.  Or once in a great while when a dentist gives the numbing shot, the nerve will get really irritated, and that might be what's going on, and it indeed might go away.  Last idea, and becuz I know nothing of body chemistry, COULD be the numbing stuff they shot in your gum formed a pocket of that fluid, and it is continuing to deliver its odd taste and the burning/numbing sensation on your tongue.  In all these cases, you should go back to your dentist, make an appointment, tell the front desk you're having complications from him pulling a tooth recently so you won't have to wait three months to see him, and let him have a new look in your mouth and HE should know what's going on and can help you with it.  If you continue to have problems after that, visit your regular doc and he'll know what to do next.