Topamax

What percentage of your patients have adverse side effects with Topamax? Are cognitive problems most common with this drug, i.e. memory and confusion? Do they tend to subside after awhile? Also, have you ever heard of spatial disorientation as a side effect of Lamictal? Thanks in advance!
Hello.

I would say one in six patients do get Topamax side effects. Cognitive disturbance is not a very prominent side effect, but it is still reported by some. The cognitive side effects do subside. The period varies in different patients.

Spatial disorientation is a very rare side effect of Lamotrigine. Please consider any other cause for the disorientation.

Regards
I have been on Topamax since Feb., I have very slowly worked up to 100mg.  The side effects have been tolerable but I went from 25 to 50 very quick and the side effect were bad: Brain fog, chatty kathy, spacey and just plain stupid,  no appetite, tingling, and insomnia.  I went from 50 to 75mg,  5 weeks later and 75 to 100mg 4 weeks later, working up slowly does help with the side effects.  Over time I have found most of my side effects subside:  I take it for nerve pain and complex migraines.  Certain side effects have stayed: anything carbonated taste awful,  tingling in hands and feet, small twitch in left eye for last week or so.