Neurology Community
Transient Ischemic Attack (mini-stroke)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Transient Ischemic Attack (mini-stroke)

I just recently lost the vision completely in my right eye.  I couldn't see a thing for maybe a minute.  Later, the next day, I had really bad eye pain and also a severe pain in the right side of my head.  I have had the pain in the eye and the side of the head in the past.  Sometimes, the pain in my head will be so bad that I cannot continue doing what I was doing.  It usually passes within a minute or two.  My eye pain, however, will usually hang around for quite a bit longer.  I do wear glasses and get my eyes checked regularly.  I went to an opthalmologist who said she thought I had a TIA.  I would like to know if I go to my regular doctor now, more than a week after the eye thing happened, will she be able to tell anything?  Are there tests that can say whether or not I have had a mini stroke?  I really want to know because from what I have read, a TIA can be leading up to something more serious.  Anybody with any information that may be valuable to me.  Thanks.
If the opthalmologist was concerned, and given your symptoms, you really should see your doctor.  Likely they will want to take some blood tests to see if there are any indications there are likely to be clotting issues (such as d-dimer), and possibly order a brain CT or MRI.  Sudden vision loss should always be taken seriously and yes it can be a marker for further more serious problems.  You need to find out if this is the case and then hopefully deal with it now.  You may for example be advised to take low dose Asprin daily.  But this is not a condition to treat yourself, you need to get this investigated.  If you are a smoker it is important you stop as if this is related to clotting issues smoking will accelerate this.  It may be that you just had a really bad migraine, but you don't know, and it is too risky to ignore these symptoms at this stage.  Hope you get good answers.