Neurology Expert Forum
Trapezius/pinched nerve?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Trapezius/pinched nerve?

Many years ago when I was a young woman, a group of friends and I used to target practice with a bow and arrow. One of my friends brought a compound bow to practice and I tried using it.  The initial resistances on the pull of the bow is very tight but once you get past that point the string pulls very loose.  When I used it and got past the resistance I felt a pop and a shooting pain under my right shoulder blade towards the spine. I went to an orthopedic doctor and he said I injured a large deep muscle that extends from the neck to the waist.  He gave me instructions on how to treat it.  Well, this muscle has waned off and on for years, especially if I over worked it.  

Now I am in my 50's and I have several other things going on.  The pain under the shoulder blade is almost constant now.  I have a desk job with heavy computer work and these last few years I am having problems with numbness in my right arm.  Sometimes it feels like it is coming from my elbow and sometimes my neck.  I awaken in the morning and my arm is numb from my elbow to my fingers.  I have to shake it or keep it hanging at my side until it goes away.  Periodically through the day, especially while using the mouse, all of my right fingers and thumb will go numb and the injury to the shoulder muscle will begin to stab me.  Then my neck gets involved (burning).  Once my neck starts bothering me, the pain under the shoulder blade is intense.  I have to get up from my desk and move around until the numbness and pain is relieved, only to have it start up again once I sit back down.  My question is:  Could the bow injury still be a problem and causing of of this after all these years, or does it sound like I have a new set of problems?