Neurology Expert Forum
Trapped Nerve?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Trapped Nerve?

Hello Doctor,

I asked a question the other day regarding my tingly left hand after sleeping on that side too long.  I am now on day three and instead of pins and needles, my thumb and first two fingers are extremely itchy with the tips being very sore to the touch and numb or raw feeling.  The palm of my hand under those fingers is also very itchy.  The intesity of the itch comes and goes.  This is now on both sides, same fingers on both sides, although, the right hand isn't nearly as bad as the left.  Could this be a trapped median nerve in tight neck muscles since both hands are affected in the same digits and palm?  I noticed where the itching is on both sides, there are little clusters of small bumps under the skin.  I do not scratch my hands at all as this would just make it worse.  Can a trapped nerve still cause these symptoms?  My fourth and fifth digit are fine on both hands (which tells me it could be a median nerve).  Still no pain other than the sore finger tips on those three digits.  I have to sleep with cold compresses on my hands to alleviate the itch.  I am going to see my doctor tomorrow, and was hoping for your advice first so I know whether to request a referral to a Neurologist as well as alleviate my concerns as I am quite worried about this.  

Thanks again for your assistance.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The description you provide does seem most consistent with a median nerve entrapment. Bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome is not uncommon. Neuropathic pain can be a tingling sensation, numbness, itch, etc. I agree that you should see a physician regarding your symptoms. You will likely need to see a neurologist. You should have an EMG/NCS test performed to evaluate the nerves and likely etiology of your symptoms. I doubt the muscle spasm is the cause of the bilateral symptoms, but you may also benefit from an MRI of the cervical spine since you do have bilateral symptoms to rule out disc herniation, etc.

In the meantime, you may benefit from a wrist splint that can be purchased from your local pharmacy.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck with your appointment. Keep us updated!
Thank you very much again for your advice, Dr. Newey.  I'll keep you posted. :)