Neurology Expert Forum
Trauma induced neuropathy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Trauma induced neuropathy?

I had an accident in January, since then I have post concussion syndrome with concentration problems, dizziness, immediate memory problems, etc. Had MRI of brain (neg) Baer test(neg) After accident, I started getting weakness in right arm, to the point where i couldnt dial the phone.  arm Coordination was off. It went to both arms,with tingling and fasciculations, and then in my feet and moved upward.Emg showed nerve damage in arms and legs.  A neurologist told me i had bulging disks in C34, c45, c56(with possible hern in c56.)according to MRI. And slight hern in L45.He felt that the disks were causing the problem..although a spine doctor said no. Spine doctor thought it was peripheral neuropathy. Since then, i have been getting worse. I have hit my head a few times..lightly..due to being uncoordinated, which i think made the concussion symptoms worse. I feel like i am not with reality..time seems fragmented..and im in a fog..my own doctor thinks I have anxiety and in need of paxil???...Neurologists office exam shows nothing..then
I got a bladder infection (i think from a whirlpool at P/T)about a month ago, had blood in urine, they did NOT culture, was feeling disorientated..mentally, weakness increased..just put me on cipro, after a week it didnt work,so changed to bactrim. but all along am so sick (severe weakness, lathargic, like a flu) They did a cbc. All came up normal. I did have epstien barr a few years ago although they did not check that.  I am feeling like there is a virus in my brain/spine. Past 2 weeks, get nightsweats sometimes..Still have incoordination in arms..weakness in legs..tingling..left muscle above knee gets numbness, head fullness. I tell people my arms feel like a marionnette doll..i have very little energy left to fight with the doctors..i feel like im dying slowly..

What tests can i ask for? Can EBV get into the nervous system? Could the head trauma cause these muscle/nerve involvements?
Please help me..I need direction..

Debbie

Dear Debbie:

Sorry to hear about your concussion.  It takes time for all the effects of a concussion to resolve.  What do the people involved in rehab tell you?  Depending on how bad the concussion, sometimes it takes many, many months, even up to a couple of years.  What was your first neuropsychological evaluation like?  How has that improved?  The cervical spine problem may or may not be the reason for the weakness, but not seeing the MRI makes it difficult for me to tell.  You did not mention compression or compromise of the C-spine so it may not be involved.  In what time frame was the MRI of the brain performed?  It might be a good idea having it repeated to see if changes have no occurred.  Usually a urinary tract infection is not caused by a virus so I would tend to doubt if EBV is causing your problems.  I think I would go see your neurologist and have him/her explain the findings of the EMG better, MRI results, and have him/her correlate the findings with your concussion and neurological exam.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
This is additional information pertaining to my post:
I have a Lumbar ridiculopathy at L3, L4 and L5, also at C5 and C6.

I went to my pain management specialist which i haven't seen in over a year being in Oklahoma and originally from Tennessee.I have had problems in the L5 region for some years now. The Doctor in Oklahoma I told my buttocks was numb, knots were coming up in my buttocks that hurt so but he ignored it. I went to see the Doctor in Chattanooga and explained to him my groin area was going numd perodically and i would urinate on myself at night without warning.He advised me to get an MRI before i left Tennessee but couldn't because my insurance provider Principal said they wouldn't cover it in that region.So wheredo i go from here. I have a prescrption for the test but am not sure the doc here will order it.What is the outcome of this problem.Stenosis was mentioned also.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Dakotah Currier
Sincerely,
Dakotah Currier
A related discussion, Trauma-induced peripheral-neuropathy was started.