Neurology Community
Traveling Head Pain and Facial Tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Traveling Head Pain and Facial Tingling

On Sunday I had a few sharp pains in my right temple throughout the day.  They lasted no more than a second.  That night the pain started coming every 2-10 minutes for about an hour.  I went to bed, and had no trouble sleeping, but I woke up feeling exhaussted.  By the time I was ready for work I had nausea and a couple more head pains.  The pain had changed -- it was not as sharp and ran from my right temple to just in front of my ear.  I stayed home and slept half the day.  The nausea improved and became intermittent.  The head pain continued at random intervals.  I went to work the next day, but was still getting the head pain.  Now it was running from my temple down the whole right side of my head.  I called the Nurse Line my insurance provides and endd up seeing my doctor who sent me to the emergency room.  As a drove to my M.D.'s office I had two more head pains, both starting at the right temple, running down the right side of my head horizontally, and then going around the back of my head and ending in a sharp pain in the center of the back of my head.  Those were the last two pains I felt, but by this time the left side of my face and scalp were tingling.  In the emergency room they drew blood to check heart enzymes and did a chest xray and CT scan.  Everything was normal.  For the next two days I had slight tingling on the left side of my face and head and a feeling of pressure on the top of my headand forehead.  My forehead and the top of my head also seemed to be more sensitive to cold from the air conditioner in my car.  The emergency room M.D. stressed that I needed to follow up with my PCP so I called there the next day.  They said they'd get the hosital records and call me back.  When I had heard nothing by Friday I called them.  I was told they were still waiting for records but since the hospital didn't find anything my PCP probably wouldn't do anything more.  I informed the nurse of the feeling of pressure on my head and didn't hear back.  I have a family history of migraines (mother, sister, brother, daughter, niece) and I'm wondering if that could be related -- never had one myself, but I have had episodes of tingling face and scalp in the past.  I also have episodes of sharp pain in my hands (like a nerve pinching between bones when I move my hand) and in my left upper arm (lasts a second and causes my arm to drop).  I have well-controlled type II diabetis, well-contolled high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.  If my PCP doesn't get back to me on the head pain episode is there anything I should do to follow-up?  The pressure and tingling seem to be gone now.