Neurology Expert Forum
Tremor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tremor

Within the past 10 months, my dad was involved in an head and neck injury.  Resulting from the injury is chronic pain, still muscles... etc.  Since the accident, we have noticed  he's had a tremor in his right hand/arm. The neurologist have narrowed out parkinson's and multiple scerolsis.My quesion is, Is there any chance that the tremor was caused due to the head and neck injury?  Please get back to me as soon as possible.
Tags: tremor, head, Neck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine your dad and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of his symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are many causes to tremor. Tremor can occur after brain trauma, even mild brain trauma, though most often in severe cases of brain trauma that result in brain damage or in cases when the brain is deprived of oxygen. Tremor in one arm, though, is less often the case; in trauma, a more generalized tremor would occur unless there was damage to specific brain areas that are known to generate tremor on the opposite side of the body. There are various causes for tremor. Tremor in one limb (as opposed to both arms or all extremities) is less often due to medications or metabolic problems such as high thyroid hormone levels. Rather, tremor in one limb is usually due to a central nervous system problem, such as parkinson's disease. There are several other clinical features of parkinson's disease that would suggest this diagnosis, but there is no single test. With MS, MRI of the brain is often helpful in making the diagnosis.

Continued follow-up with your neurologist is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Tremor in left hand/stiffness/left leg stiffness was started.