Neurology Expert Forum
Tremors

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tremors

I have a friend who is experiencing tremors in his hands - very noticeable.  He also has twitching of the muscles in his hands.  
He has seen a neurologist and the neurologist states that the tremors are related to a pinched nerve due to two degenerating
discs and some spinal stenosis.  I was not aware that back problems caused tremors.  Does this sound right?  Thank you.
Dear Caren:

Sorry to hear about your friends tremors.  Yes, impingement of nerves as they exit the spinal column or compromise of the spinal cord within the spinal column can cause muscle fasciculations and tremor-like movements.  Unlike benign fasciculations where there are no MRI changes in the spine, one should see changes on the MRI that are in the proper area for compromise in the arm area for this to be induced by the spinal cord compromise.  This sounds like what is happening to your friend.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, Resting Tremor was started.
A related discussion, Son had concussion was started.