Neurology Community
Trigeminal Neuralgia, What is it?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Trigeminal Neuralgia, What is it?

Please, does an acoustic neuroma can be responsible for a trigeminal neuralgia?
Do you have an acoustic neuroma? I am by no means an expert, but I think they CAN affect other nerves coming out of the brainstem such as the facial nerve. I don't know about the trigeminal nerve (it's the 5th cranial nerve, whereas the balance/hearing nerve is the 8th cranial nerve and the facial nerve is the 7th cranial nerve) but maybe it's possible.

But trigeminal neuralgia is most commonly caused by a blood vessel pressing on the nerve. In a younger person, like under 50, it could be multiple sclerosis, especially if it's on both sides. What does your doctor say?

Nancy T.