Neurology Community
Trigeminal Neuralgia and microvascular decompression (MVD) surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hey guys,

Ive been a member for over a year now but suffered for chronic pain for over 3 years. I suffer from constant burning pain in the left side of my face. Without medication id rate it 10/10. I take neurontin, paracetamol and verapamil. The verapamil is a drug my neurologist has put me as the neurontin+paracetamol is not enough. Verapamil is used to hold off the onset of migraines and it has helped slightly.

Had a medical breakthrough in the past couple of days.. Ive seen a million different Drs as im sure most of you have but one has finally found, what i hope to be, the cause of my severe facial pain.

The Neuro-Surgeon has read my scans and told me over the phone that i have a vascular loop at the base of my brain at the entry point of the trigeminal nerve and that i am a candidate for microvascular decompression (MVD) surgery.

Have any of you have MVD surgery and what are your experiences with it. I am aware that it is a little scary as they have to cut a hole in your skull to get to the nerve base... At this stage i ahve been suffereing severe pain along the trigeminal nerve for jsut about 3 years now, So i am very excited that someone has finally been able to diagnose and outline a surgical procedure which can cure me. I also realise how lucky i am to have found this as it is a very small percentage of facial pain sufferers that are candidates for MVD...

I still have a 4 week wait to see the neuro-surgeon + how ever long it takes to book in for surgery... i will go private as i can handle this anymore... WIth pain comes > memory loss, inability to handle social situations, i cant read for more than 10 minutes, concentrate too much, be at the mall very long, so many negatives...

Love to hear what people have to add on MVD

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Micro vascular depression is a surgical procedure to relieve symptoms of nerve compression. It involves surgically opening the skull and exposing the nerve at brainstem, trigeminal neuralgia being treated by inserting a tiny sponge between the trigeminal nerve and superior cerebellar artery. you will need to undergo tests like blood tests electrocardiogram, chest x ray, sign consents, furnish details about allergies, medicines, anesthetic reactions, other preanesthetic precautions like stopping NSAIDs, blood thinners, stop smoking etc. the surgery involves patient preparation, performing a craniectomy, the nerve is exposed at its origin, sponge inserted between the nerve and the vessels and brain is returned to natural position. You would be kept in the ICU post operatively. You might have some discomfort and headaches managed with NSAIDs and opioids. Certain restrictions need to be observed like avoiding driving and sitting, avoid lifting heavy weights and housework, and stop alcohol if taking. Results are usually promising and good success rates. Certain risks include bleeding, infection, blood clots, and anesthesia reactions. Complications possible are stroke, CSF leak, brain swelling etc.  Hope it helps. Take care.
How are you doing. Can we get update?