Neurology Community
Trigeminal neuralgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Trigeminal neuralgia

1 year ago I've made a wisdom tooth operation for my right down wisdom. The operation took around 2 hours because there was a cyst around it and when they removed the cyst there was lots of blood after it. The wisdom was very strong and the operation was not easy. After 1 month pain started a light needle stabbing.  
Doctors 1st couldn't know what it is but after 2 months a doctor told me its a Trigeminal neuralgia or what is known by facial pain. He gave me Tigirtol (2 tablets a day -200mg) a day and it was like magic for 1 month but after that we has to increase it to 3 then to 4 then to 6 for a short period of time but it didn't stop. So we phased out from Tigirtol and shifted to Nuronteen which was good but for a short period of time where the pain came back and much more sever. I can't eat, can't talk can't smile can't drink ...etc.
The doctors took MIR pictures, x-ray, blood test, nerves analysis but they found nothing wrong.

What I remember from my wisdom operation is that the doctors did not give me antibiotic after the operation. Could this lead to an infection? Please if this is possible then how can we heal my face? Since last night the pain started and for the 1st time to hit me while am asleep.
Hi.

Was the tooth completely removed? What areas do you experience the pain?

While an infection post-tooth extraction could occur, it would unlikely present with just pain for such a long time without any other symptoms.

Other medications that you could ask your doctor as alternatives include baclofen, phenytoin, oxcarbazepine, or lamotrigine. However, some people with trigeminal neuralgia eventually stop responding to medications, or they experience unpleasant side effects. In those cases, surgery may be an option.

Hope this helps.