Neurology Community
Tugging/Pulling sensation behind ear(s)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tugging/Pulling sensation behind ear(s)

For the past couple years, off and on, I've noticed a sensation that can last for days at a time, and the feeling is like someone is pulling on my hair (taut) on my scalp in the vicinity behind my left ear. Sometimes, it can happen on the right side, too. But most of it occurs on the left side. Initially, I thought it was from certain heavy styling products on my hair or who knows what, but now I don't think that's the case.

I am having this now for almost a week straight. I'm currently under a lot of stress because I've been having chronic pain that is also off and on, in my left shoulder/arm area. This pain has been going on for 4 months now, and the Dr. and chiropractor seem to think it's from my  job, a Repetitive Stress Injury. Part of me wants to believe that but another part of me is fearful of it being something serious. So I have gone to my Dr. repeatedly for CBC's and got a shoulder xray, chest xray and diagnostic mammogram. Everyone keeps telling me not to fear cancer, but when someone has pain that has come out of the blue, it makes the mind wander.

What could be causing all this? I'm scared but so far tests are normal. I have 2 enlarged lymph nodes that I think I've had for a long time and the Dr. said they are not that big and that they are most likely leftover from a long ago viral infection and they never went back to normal size. Because of all this pain and weird feeling behind my ears, I'm scared to death that this is all related and it's something serious.

Help me figure this out. Please give me some advice.

TIA

I was hoping someone would know what could be the cause of this. People tell me stress could be the culprit. I'm not sure.
I've been experiencing similar symptoms and have had strange changes in my lymph nodes on the back of my arm. I've recently had a shoulder/hip injury which has only compounded the problem. I can tell you with some certainty that 90% of the symptoms is stress. The pulling I get in my ears I notice more when I am concentrating and/or working. When I realize the sensation I make an effort to relax my jaw and work my shoulders to relieve the tension. I continue to have tenderness in my lymph nodes which is aggravated by diet. When I'm not eating well and am stressing I find that it swells and becomes tender. Outside of my Chiropractor's suggestions the only useful advice I can give you is to find a way to relieve your stress. Stretch at night, walk whenever you can & find more time in the day to really prepare a balanced meal. Avoid fried foods and soda as much as possible and take a hobby that will detract you from focusing on any ailments you may be worried about. If what you are experiencing is serious your body will let you know soon enough. If not then hopefully this will be a turning point for a healthier you.
Hi, I have this as well and in January of this year (so almost a year ago) I had a labral repair to my shoulder. I have also just started a new job, so I'm hoping it is shoulder and stress related. Has anyone had any firm answers to what might cause it?