Neurology Expert Forum
Twitches in Feet and ALS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Twitches in Feet and ALS

I am a 27 year old female who is is experiencing twitches in both feet, however the left foot is much more active than the right.

14 months ago I went to the Neurologist due to a weak feeling in my left leg. He ordered an MRI (to rule out MS ) I think mostly to ease my fears.  He also did a nerve conduction test and that came back normal as well as a muscle (EMG I think it is called) that came back normal.  He also checked blood flow in my leg and that was normal.  I went in for a follow up in August and he continued to tell me that it didnt seem like a neurological disease but maybe an issue in my lower back. He didnt see any abnromalties in my reflexes or visible muscle changes. The symptoms seemed to subside until about 1 month ago the feeling of weakness is back.

One week ago my left foot started twitching (mostly arch of foot and third toe)  ( I do not have foot drop) and I can still walk 2-3 miles per day and walk up stairs ok.

I keep thinking this is ALS and that is why the feet are twitching and I am thinking I should get a second opinion..I cant stop worrying about it.

I should note that I have been told that I have one leg longer than the other and a tilted pelvis by my chiro causing poor posture and this could be the cause though the twitching still freaks me out.

Does this sound like ALS or possibly something else? Are there specific tests that I should ask for in a follow up?

Thanks so much.
Muscle twitching in the absence of muscle weakness and wasting is unlikely to be ALS. ALS is very rare, particularly in a 27 year old female. Muscle twitching is more commonly assocaited with an overactive thyroid gland, a normal response to cold, exercise or certain medications, due to a pinched nerve, or more rarelydue to some spinal cord problems like syringomyelia or viral infections. It can also occur as a benign syndrome with or without muscle cramps.

Pinched nerves to the leg can be looked for either by EMG or by MRI scan of the lumbosacral region.

Good luck
This may just be benign fasciculations that people sometimes experience.   These can progress to other parts of the body, but if you do not experience any weakness accompanied with them and no other problems, such as weight loss, etc.  there is probably nothing to worry about.   But to ease your fears, have another EMG done in a year  or so.