Neurology Expert Forum
Twitching and Joint Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Twitching and Joint Pain

I am a Male 39 yrs old. I will list the symptoms I have first. They all seem to have started with a bad chest cold and sore throat Oct. 2003. Noticed twitching Nov 2003 that soon spread all over my body with numbness on the right side of my body. Soon joint pain followed. Fatigue in muscles with some cramping mostly in legs and back. Muscles feel weak but have not noticed any real loss of strength. Currently with pain in legs, feet, shoulders,Chest and back.(worried affecting heart) Went to MD and he gave me physical and checked thyroid and lithium levels. Normal. Referred me to nuero. Jan 04 had MRI on brain and C-spine MS suspected. All came back normal. Nerve conduction on right side came back normal Checked for Lyme and RA factor. Totally Normal.Referred to Nuero and Rheumatologist at University. Rheumo did RA factor, Electrolyte imbalances, Sed rate and too much other to name. All normal. Neuro did EMG for ALS and copper and manganese levels. All normal but Mn was double what it should be but he researched and said no cause for concern. Have been checked for Lupus also.Normal. Drugs tried include Trileptal, Bextra and Nuerontin. No help from any. Saw nuero again Nov 04. Still says I look O.K. after physical. Repeated MRI on brain, C-spine and included T-spine. All normal again. My question is there anything else I can ask my doctor to check that he hasn't done already. Could this still be RA (brother and Mom have it)Could a Mycoplasma infection be causing this? Should I be rechecked for Lupus? Or is MS amd ALS still possible? Please give me any advice you can. Thanks
Infections like mycoplasma are a common cause of chest infections/ respiratory infections in younger people. They can in a minority of people (0.1% in milder infections, up to 7% in severe infections leading to hospitalization)lead to neurological complications such as a mild meningitis, peripheral neuropathy, cerebellar problems, transverse myelitis (inflammation of part of the spinal cord), Guillan Barre syndrome and cranial nerve damage.
The actual reason for this is unknown but may be an attack by the body's own immune system. Unfortunately there is no good test for this - this may be why all the test for other disease are negative (you are lucky not to have them!) The symptoms should resolve with the infection although there may be a certain degree of nerve damage which takes longer to recover. Joint pain can also occur.
Detection of various types of antibodies can determine if you have been exposed to mycoplasma, but do not give much more information. You may be more genetically prone to immune disease due to your family history - some other autoimmune diseases can cause unequivocal results such as mixed connective tissue disease. MS is unlikely in the presence of normal MRI scan, and the presentation is not typical for ALS
I cannot diagnose for sure over the internet, but it is a distinct possibility
Just btw...  

All over twitching with misc muscle fatigue, muscle pain, other pain and fatigue and sensations in the presence of  normal blood tests and MRI seems to be astonishingly common, as evident on this list and aboutBFS.com (go there for moral support).  No one seems to know much about it, and the various suspected triggers all seem pretty speculative.

Once your level of medical review has been reached the condition seems to be almost always "benign" in the sense of not being connected with a known lethal debilating disease, although hardly benign in the effect on ones daily life and mood.

But let's see what the doc says...
And my opening line for that preceding post should be "yes, me too, exactly"
Thanks for the help.... I'll talk to my doctor about it. ish2 Thank you for the insight about BFS. All my symptoms certainly lean that direction. Very good web site reference..It shed a lot of light on some questions I have about my condition. Hope you get some relief with yours. I certainly hope mine doesn't last but I'm pushing 16 months now.

Later
Labman:

Did you take any medication during the infection? Some drugs and among them antimicrobials like quinolone antibiotics (cipro, levaquin, tequin, avelox,..) can cause long term or permanent neurological and joint damage.

Just to exclude it like a probable cause.

No I did not have it treated at all. that is why I was wondering if Mycoplasma could be the cause of my grief. Thanks for the comment though