Neurology Community
Twitching question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Twitching question

Hi all~~
   It's been a while since I posted on here, and it looks like it's been pretty busy!  I just had a question about twitching, can any of you guys relate to twitching in the thighs or the neck?  I've been twitching for about two months now, it started out in my right hand, but grew from there to be rather widespread.  But, there seem to be a few spots that it hits all the time, and one of them is my left thigh.  This worries me because I am concerned of course as most twitchers are about ALS, and I don't know why this twitch would focus for so long on that one muscle group.  I get it in lots of other spots randomly, but it seems pretty persistent there.  Sometimes it's the worst one also, like when I'm driving, it almost feels like a cramp.  I've been getting them lately also in my neck, mostly on the left side, but also on the right sometimes.  It does seem like this twitching favors the left side for me.  I was just wondering if any of you on here could relate, and anything you do for it that helps.  I've been trying vitamins, but don't notice any difference, and I actually stopped taking Magnesium because it seemed to aggravate it a bit.  
     I've been to the neuro, who did an in-office exam, some lab work, and a limited sleep study (I couldn't sleep), and that was all he did, and he said he wouldn't worry about ALS, he thinks it's more due to some Metabolic syndrome, or a sleep issue.  Just wondering if any new people here might have any ideas!  Sometimes it's just easy to let this anxiety over this get away with you. Thanks for any help!  Val
I can't really help you but wanted you to know I have twitches all over the place including my neck, calves, back, ribs, abdomen, face.  You name it, I twitch there.  I'm sick of it too.  Honestly, neuro's haven't done a thing for me.  I've seen 5 over the past 2 years.  The last one I saw also wanted a sleep study....what for?????? I think it's because they are expensive tests and they get big bucks for reading them.  He also wanted me to take some medicine that causes compulsive gambling and sex addiction.  It's a drug for Parkinson's disease.  I have no idea why he wanted me to take it.  I'm not following either of his recommendations.  I don't think we'll ever know what is causing the twitching.  Not one of the neuro's thought or even suggested ALS.  I don't have muscle wasting etc...but I do have numbness and tingling all over my body.
have either of you guys had a MRI done? if not, I suggest going and asking your doc to make you a appointment to have one done! maybe there is something going on in the brain that may be causing these things to happen! I hope you both find what you are looking for and that you feel better soon!
have faith, and be strong:)
dawn
Hi~~
   Thanks so much for the replies!  I also get so sick of this twitching!  It's very anxiety-provoking.  Tonight I was feeling ok, and then I went to lay down in bed, and my left side is twitching like crazy.  That is one thing that bothers me, is that it seems to occur more on my left side, and I worry that could be a bad sign or something, maybe pointing towards ALS.  I was laying there, and my neck was twitching, my arm, my side of my body, and then my left leg, like the twitching was going right down the whole left side of my body.  
    I do get some on the right also, just way more on the left.  It all actually started with a twitch in my right hand, which is so weird, that lasted for a few days, and then spread around.  
     My neuro said that sleep disorders can cause muscle twitching because of brain issues.......he went into medical detail and I can't remember the terminology he used, but it was something like the brain and muscles aren't working together as they should when you are sleep deprived, and then it leads to other problems also.  I know I do have sleep issues, because I wake up with not only acid reflux, but sleep apnea sometimes.  He also mentioned something called Metabolic syndrome, in which your body is sort of in a pre-diabetic state.  I hope it's something like that of course, rather than ALS.  
     I didn't go for an MRI, he has only done the in-office exam, lab work, and then the sleep study, but I have to do the sleep study over again since I didn't sleep well.  I have to maybe do some things that might help me sleep.  
     Maybe the MRI will be next if he dosen't find anything conclusive on the sleep study, but he seemed alot less worried about any bad diseases such as ALS after I went in the second time, and he had the results of my lab work, and I guess looked at me.  
     Thanks again for the responses, it helps to know that other people have this, and it is more common than it feels right now.  I hope I get some sleep tonight!!  Talk to you soon, Val
Yes, I've had 3 MRI's of the brain, 3 of the cervical spine, entire thoracic and lumbar spine, evolked potentials, emg, lots of blood work.  Everything was normal except for elevated vitamin b 6 levels and pyruvic acid.