Neurology Expert Forum
Twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Twitching

Thanks for taking my question - this is a great service.  First a brief history.  I am a male and am 40 years old. About 6 or 7 years ago I visited a neurologist because of arm discomfort.  They both felt tired and sore.  I had an EMG with no problems found.  I feared ALS but the doctor said the hallmark symptoms were weakness and twitching.  I left relieved but of course about a day later I suddenly began twitching (pretty much everywhere).  Since then I have had bouts where I may twitch in various areas for weeks or months at a time and then nothing for the same period of time.  I have had the arm pain reoccur since then also.  I did see a doctor that treated "trigger points" which seemed to help with the arm pain.  For about two weeks now I have noticed a twitch between my thumb and forefinger.  This has been a constant twitch - pretty much 24 hours a day for two weeks. It isn't painful and has not caused any other symptoms except for the stress and anxiety it has brought from seeing/feeling it twitch for so long.  I have only had an occaisional twitch in other parts of my body during this time.  Is this something that I should be seeing a doctor about.  Have you ever run into something like this before?  Can the stress of the symptoms actually keep the symptoms present? Any advice that you can provide me is greatly appreciated.
Dear Jim:

Sorry to hear about your twitching.  I know that it can be real pain (literally and emotionally true also) as I have these bouts.  There is always that little small voice in whatever small hole in our brains that tell us that we have the worst disease based on what we are feeling.  It does sound like you have benign fasciculations.  In ALS (as you already mentioned) one has painless fasciculations WITH detected muscle weakness.  Yes, stress and fatigue can make the fasciculations much worse.  This sort of entity feeds on itself in many ways.  Good sleep habits, good diet, etc are the best we can offer.  In many ways we do not understand why these fasciculations happen.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Jim

I am also a twitcher.  Started when other odd neurological things began.  I have not been diagnosed with anything.. and I twitch in the calfs, buttox, arms etc.  For almost 1 yr now.  Anyhow your not alone.  And stress does make me twitch even more.  The kind Dr here seems to think these things pass with time and I feel confident they will.  Best of luck and this is the thing, the more you think about it, the more you will twitch, the more you twitch, the more you will worry, the more you worry, the more you twitch get it?

Hang in there!
Ive had twitching
and it really has bothered me.
My Doctor. Told me that I didnt have anything wrong with me really, and Twitching is often Normal.
heh
some times, my muscles will trill, only one at a time tho.. and sometimes, a muscle with move on its own.. small movements.
also. sometimes.. it feels like I pinch a nerve, when I move a certain way, usually in my Arms
I wonder if this is the Benign fasiculations you are talking about, and should I be worried ?
id really like a opinion
if someone responds, please mail me at ***@**** so I know to check this forum.
To:  The Twitcher

Thanks for your comments - they were comforting.  You are right, the more you worry, the more you twitch, the more you twitch, the more you worry...  It just snowballs.  It is really unnerving at times but it helps to receive comments like yours every once in awhile to be reassured.  After a new twitch has been with you for awhile it really begins to wear on you.  Think about before bed, first thing when you wake up and so on and so on.  Then of course your body is so sensitive to any change that you notice everything.  

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated.
GOD KNOWS WHAT IT IS
Rahul,
  So what does that comment really mean?  Is it a good thing or a bad thing?  Does it help for him to know but yet keep it from us?
God does not give us disease or keep things from us.  Sometimes things just happen!  I don't think that Rahul should have posted his comment, what difference does it make who knows what it is, the person with the affliction is the person suffering.  Pray for these people to get relief or a cure.
In recent years I too have experienced a twitch in my forefinger or thumb (usually one or the other) for various lengths of time, followed by stretches of "normality."
As for the mental link, I have noticed that I can feel a twitch coming on.  What I mean to say is that my thumb or finger feel "full" for 10-30 seconds before a twitch.
If I notice the twitch at all it is because I feel a sense of release.  Sometimes it does cause a low level of anxiety, which usually heightens the intensity.
I do suffer from bouts of stress-induced anxiety (sometimes with good reason!).  I would like to see some research on this subject that documents this ailment, perhaps with some cross-reference to nervous disorders.  Good luck everybody.
For 1 month I have been twitching in both shoulders, neck and both upper arms but ONLY AT NIGHT and in no other part of the body! It is a vigorous shaking that lasts only a short time, then I can feel the muscles relax. It is not painful. I am 45  Female and otherwise very healthy. A few thyroid challenges but I'm on replacement for that. Any ideas what that could be? It wakes me up several times a night and is pretty strong. A bit scary & I have not much insurance. Do I need to see a doc or is it totally benign???

***@****
Any help or ideas most gratefully appreciated.

I have been feeling very abnormal for a while cos of some twitching on my face, above my mouth, eyes, tighs & practically all over. The twitches just appeared for few seconds but it happen one/twice a week sometimes it is quite bad but most of the time it is just mild. I was rather worried till I stumbled upon this page. Now I am more releive abt my twitching but sometimes I also felt aching and pain (something like twitching only that it is pain & aching lasting few mins on diff parts of my body)

Wonder can anybody enlightens me ?

Joice

Wonder can anybody enlightens me

Joice