Two TIAs in less then two months - caused by extreme high blood pressure spikes
I have had two TIAs in less then two months ending up in the emergency room.  With this second one, they are doing more testing.  I had a CAT scan with both TIA and blood work.  I am being treated for high blood pressure for at least 20 years now and I am 57.  My blood pressure has always been under control, but lately out of the blue my blood pressure spikes causing the TIAs.  The spike causing the last TIA, my blood pressure was 247/146 in ER.  It took 6 hours for my blood pressure to go back to normal.  They don't know what is causing these high of spikes. I noticed a lot of swelling, especially in my face and eyes before the high spikes.  I was having swelling of the feet, ankles and legs, but that has seemed too stopped. I just don't want another TIA or worse.

A little history on me.  I was healthy then about 3 years ago I had a Parotid tumor removed then 8 months later I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed due to a fast growing tumor.  10 days after my Thyroid surgery I had severe hives and angioedema landing me in the hospital for another 8 days and my records say I had kidney failure from this reaction.  The hives continued for 14 months with other hospital stays. They did all kinds of test on me and never figured out the cause of the hives and angiodema, and then one day it left. During all the testing they found an Adrenal tumor and said it was fine, so nothing was done with the tumor.  I was sent to a specialist during this time because I grew a small hump on the back of my neck to be tested for crushing’s, which I tested negative for.

The only medication I take is Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg 1x a day, Metoprolol 50mg 2x a day, Lisinopril 20mg 1x a day and Amour 90mg 2x a day.

Any help or ideas of what is causing the high spikes, I would appreciate.  I have a doctor's appointment to go over my carotid artery test, but the gal doing the test said they looked good (I knew her).

Thank you for your time! Shai

How are you?
High BP spikes can be seen in stressful situations, overindulgence in food and drinks, sudden bursts of physical activity.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027
This link has some useful information on how to make lifestyle changes and keeping the BP under check.
Also discuss this with your doctor, you may need dose adjustment.
Take care!
Thank you I read the link.  I don't drink alcohol, my cholesterol is 160, and I am 5' 2" and weight 118 lbs.  When I had the last TIA was on a 20 minute break at work with my friends.  We were laughing and all was well, so I was not under stress at the time. This is why I don't understand this last TIA.