Neurology Community
Types of B12 Injections

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Types of B12 Injections

Approximately 3 years ago I was diagnosed as being B12 deficient, however, the cause is not known as I tested positive for the Intrinsic Factor AB.  My doctor has prescribed shots for me every 2 weeks and this is not enough!  I know my body well enough to know.  At first this regimen was working, but now my symptoms are coming back (fatigue, brain fog, weight loss, imbalance, awkward gait).  I've asked him to give me a loading dos (alternating 5000mcg and 3000mcg injections every other day for 1 to 2 weeks, and then tapering down to 1x per week or back to 2x month).  I've done extensive research and have found out that hydroxy or preferrably methylcobalamin is most effective, so this is what I have requested.  He thinks I'm self-diagnosing and is not willing to make this change in the type of B12 or in the loading dose.  I AM NOT going to regress and go back to the way I was feeling.  I am a very active person and I am a triathlete.  Both my personal, professional and married life are being negatively affected.  I am aware that you can order B12 injections (hydroxy and methyl) from Canada, New Zealand, and India; however, I am wary to circumvent the health system and possibly inject myself with heaven knows what!  I've been e-mailing back and forth with the founder of the B12 Deficiency help group and he has directed me to keep working with my doctor, but that tests have shown (he lives in England) that a loading dose of Methylcobalomin and the continued use of methylcobalomin is more effective than cyanocobalomin.  I'm frustrated and angry that my doctor is not listening to me, at the expense of my health and my well-being.  Please advise.  Thank you,
Never, never in my 12 years working in the medical field have I seen the dosages and frequency that you want EVER ordered (the loading dose alternating for 1-2 weeks, etc.)  The doctor is listening to you; he is just not going to do what you have requested because it is not prudent in my opinion and he is obliged to follow medical guidelines in regards to prescribing/ordering medications.  So, don't be angry with him.  I can understand your frustration though.  

I do not know if you will find anyone who will agree with you.

What is accepted in the UK does not mean it is accepted or practiced in the USA.  I have lived in the USA and in Europe;  there are alot of things USA will accept that europeans don't and vise versa.  

Where did you gather your research info from?  
If you have a deficiency like the mutated gene C677T, you can take folic acid and B-12 which he can prescribe Metanx to up your B-12 levels.