Neurology Expert Forum
Ulcerative colitis and spinal/brain leisons

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had IBD (ulcerative colitis) for 25 years.  I recently visited a neurosurgeon because of some herniated discs in my neck.  The MRI also showed lesions in the spinal cord.  Neurosurgeon sent me to neurologist for more tests and those tests showed lesions in the brain also.  I am non-symptomatic for MS or Lyme and the doctor is now wondering what the lesions could be.

I have done some reading and there seems to be some possible connection between IBD and these type of lesions.  Does anyone have any additional info or knowledge of this connection?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am not sure what you are describing. Are you on medication for your IBD? Have you been sick? The different causes of white matter changes in the brain can be determined to some extent by interpretation of various sequences of the MRI. These can be from longstanding hypertension/high cholesterol, headaches, multiple sclerosis, infection/inflammation, metabolic/genetics, medication, etc. I would suggest you discuss your symptoms/concerns with a neurologist who can view your images. Depending on further history, the IBD may be connected to the changes on MRI. You may ultimately need a spinal tap performed to evaluate further.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

All good questions which I have been looking into.  Yes I am am on meds for UC (6mp and collozol) and have been in remission for about 10 years.  Yearly colonoscopies show desiese but no activity or increase ins scope.  I am working closly with the neurologist who si looking for an explanation for the lesions.

At thsi point my main concern is getting cleared for surgery on the herniated discs as they are showing pressure and narrowing of the spinal column in the neck.

Thanks for your information.

Bill