Neurology Community
Ulnar nerve issue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ulnar nerve issue

In July 2006, I feel at work and tore my left rotator cuff. I also bruised my left arm. I had surgery in Oct 2006. Shortly after surgery during physical therapy, my left # 3 & 4 fingers/hand began to tingle and feel like needles. This has never gone away. The tingling started after the injury, but it would only last a short time, maybe seconds. It was also there after the surgery, but not all the time. I complained to the surgeon and he sent me to neurologist for testing. The test showed a blocked Ulnar nerve. After much time and fighting with work comp insurance, I finally had surgery on my left arm for the ulnar nerve problem. This took place 1/28/2008. So far, my hand and two fingers still tingle. My question is; could the nerve damage be in the shoulder area where I had the rotator cuff surgery? When the neurologist performed his test, he did not test above my shoulder, just down to the hand. The neurosurgeon told me the nerve may take time to return to normal and I understand. Any thoughts to this issue?  
Avatar n tn
Yes the nerve could be there, otherwise it could also be there as a co-morbidities due to surgery in that area.
I agree that he tested only down the area as your symptoms sound like ulnar nerve injury and he would have wanted to know how is ulnar nerve functioning.
Nerves regenerate, or heal, at a rate 1 millimeter/day. The only nerves that can regenerate are the nerves outside of the spinal cord, or peripheral nerves. The nerves in the spinal cord, once damaged, cannot regenerate. However, if the peripheral nerve is severely damaged or stretched it may never heal.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Avatar n tn
I wanted to mention that there could have been damage due to surgery and also can be damage due to rotator cuff tear.
Bye.