Neurology Community
Unbearable burning spasms in arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Unbearable burning spasms in arm

For 1.5 years now my husband has had a pain that has moved from his upper right back are (right under the shoulder blade ), into the base of his neck, right by the collarbone.   This pain (constently there) started right after a large tiling job. So we're guessing it's a pinched nerve.
The pain is constant and is bearable; however it is accompanied with unbearable-shooting spams that go right in the back of his right arm down to the elbow, in his armpit also, and sometimes in the neck as well.  He has numbness in 3 of his fingers in the right hand. The pain is so unbearable now that he is only able to sleep 2 hours at a time, max.  The shooting spasms come back within 20 minutes of his laying dow.  They tend to go away when he sits back up.  However, the spams don't seem to be related to any physical activity - he can be driving or sitting still, and have the worse spasms.  He says it feels like cigarette burns, the skin on his upper arm is so sensitive (extremly strong burning sensations) that I can barely touch him there; his muscles on his upper arms are also constantly tensed.  The spams worsen as the day progress, and are worse at night.  And over the past 1.5 years the pain has increased; to the point of being close to what I suspect is triggering depression (he has repeated 4-5 times over the past 3 days now that 'he cannot do this anymore" because it hurts so much- hence my post on this forum).  
He is followed by a general practicioner who has sent him for neck and brain MRIs, X-ray of the neck,shoulder, and spine,  physical therapy, massage therapy, chiropractor, neurologist (EMG and nerve conduction tests were all normal), blood test (all good) - nothing has been detected.  Physicial therapy did not help. He has had accupuncture, unsuccessfull. He also had an ultrasound in the armpit and all around the upper arm to possibly detect a clogged artery- along with pulmonary x-rays (far-fetched, but we needed to try it).  I give him Hypericum oil massages every night. The relief is only temporary.  He is currently on Gabapentin (2 pills 3 times/day). It does not seem to be helping (spasms are still as strong and as frequent).  Clorzoxazone does not work either and make him terribly sleepy.  He uses large doses of ibuprofen, alternating with Naproxen, to avoid kindey dammages.  The relief is not consistent either.
Based on all the tests that have been done on him, he's a picture of health; but what makes him hurt so bad, to the point of giving up; and what next steps can we take?  
Our doc said to continue Gabapentin, increase the dosage to 3 pills, 3 times a day; and if it still does not get better to back seem him in a month for another visit to the neurologist.  
Any advice?