Neurology Community
Uncommon Blackout and Seizure issue..

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Uncommon Blackout and Seizure issue..

Now I'm not 100% sure if this is all neurological but it does involve seizures and an anxiety problem that's lead to a seizure or two before. My girlfriend has been having this issue for 2-3 years now and would say she's experienced blackout's like these about six times now. Let me explain what's happened by describing what happened a few minutes ago and then what's happened before.

She was standing in the kitchen waiting for the microwave dinner in the oven to finish and told me that she felt weird twice, and stated she was feeling dizzy as I could see the life draining from her before she began to collapse. She later said when she started feeling dizzy she felt like she had "cat-like" hearing, like everything got extremely loud and overwhelming before it all started to get fuzzy and muffled before she passed out. She collapsed into the corner counter section of the kitchen, kind of hunched over with her legs folded under her and her head resting on the corner of the stove. She was lightly spasming, as opposed to the full on seizure she experienced last time it happened where she fell to the floor with a pack of Ritz, shaking violently which caused the crackers to go everywhere. This time she just shook slightly every 1-2 seconds. I finally arrive and carefully situate her more comfortably and keep her head safe and after about 20 seconds it had ended and she just looked at me and then the cabinet with a normal expression as if nothing happened. I told her to sit still and relax for a second and began to look for a glass to fill with water when she said she thinks she's going to throw up. Five seconds later after I found a pot she threw up mostly all the contents of her stomach and leaned back against the cabinets. She was immediately joking and apologizing about the vommit and asked if she had a seizure or anything. I told her it was not as bad as last time, and told her what happened as she passed out. Right when I mentioned she passed out  she remembered that she started dreaming when she did and had a hyper-sexual dream and where she had a continuous orgasm until waking up, and she asked if she was moaning or doing anything weird, but she hadn't aside from the light seizing. She's never had any memory of what's happened while she was blacked out and usually just remembers feeling queezy beforehand and then it's blank till she saw my face again; so albeit a strange dream, I felt it's interesting enough to share. The hearing thing and "dream" are new information to me as she's never reported either but feel their very relative.

In the hours prior to this she had a Cookout tray of chicken quesadilla, fries and a bacon wrap with sweet tea, and before that she had a glass of wine. She also smoked marijuana in half hour prior, but is a regular smoker and drinker. I know it's definitely related as she reports for the first time that often when she both drinks and smokes she feels the "early signs" of this but can make it go away before it gets out of hand; which she says has happened maybe two or three times. One of the earliest times this happened to her was at a Hookah Bar with her friends when she was 18 after she had smoked hookah with them, and she had a full seizure with vomiting then which makes me certain it's not marijuana related but perhaps something about the smoking in itself. Drinking has always had complications with her so she doesn't drink heavily or binge drink anymore, especially being on her antidepressants and anxiety medicine; when she drinks on her medicine she doesn't remember the night when she wakes up and her personality changes but so is alcohol. It had also been at least an hour after her small single glass of wine that she seized in the kitchen tonight and she didn't appear intoxicated in the slightest. Obviously the drinking and smoking needs to stop but regardless I'd like to figure this issue out.

She has been prescribed birth control, about 3 different anxiety medicines and 6 antidepressants over the years due to problems with panic attacks. One of her worst panic attacks I've ever experienced was last Valentines day where I went to her house with flowers, let myself in and walked up the stairs to find her getting ready for the shower, looking for something in the closet while naked. I stood behind her and waited for her to turn around and said hi, and she kind of just screamed and ran into the bathroom. Apparently she got in the shower and curled into a ball on the floor crying, overwhelmed with anxiety and even after she got out of the shower she said she was crying and in physical pain as she laid in her bed. She says she was having seizures while she laid in bed crying, and this was 100% without and drugs or alcohol; prescriptions excluded but yeah. She still suffers with minor panic attacks often but has only had 2-3 serious episodes similar to the one I just described from last valentines day. Odd she has a blackout seizure a year later on the same day, but probably completely irrelevant.

She went to a neurology "doctor" or whatever for some investigation 7-8 months ago. They never found anything or told her anything was wrong after an EEG(?) and MRI. This is the third time over 2.5 years I've seen this happen to her. I am here because I KNOW something isn't right here and somebody has to have some idea of what's going on. If anyone has any questions let me know. Sorry for the avalanche of text but I figured more information is better than less.